Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're explaining yourself fine.

The core of our misunderstanding is that you think the Mini and Caterham can be shifted without a clutch. In that case, they're no different to any other cars except that you can't shift 5-2 (etc).

In that context everything you're saying makes sense, and what I'm saying doesn't.

@RaceNut although it's using parameters in a section called "Gear Protection", mostly used to implement shift protection in the GT DLC, the only thing being controlled here is Clutch use. There's no 'shift protection' (ie, restricting gearchanges to certain rev ranges), which I agree wouldn't make sense for these older cars.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

One more Try. :)
    I understood you in that Way, that with the GearProtection Code, that the Mini and the Caterham use, the Player is forced to use the manual Clutch.
    But that is not the Case, because you can avoid it with using the auto Clutch.
    If the Target was, to force the Player to use the manual Clutch, it was not implemented properly.

ManfredK2_new likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When I refer to clutch, autoclutch is included. Manual or autoclutch. It was never going to attempt to exclude people without a clutch pedal - that would be silly.

In those cars you need to use 'the clutch'. Autoclutch is fine.

Not running autoclutch, you need to use your own clutch. And again, Paul suggested otherwise. Which totally changes the picture, because then you could legitimately ask what went wrong with these two cars, if the only difference was being unable to choose your own gear order.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

Me too now :)

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You mean you give up, or you don't explain things well? I think we're fully on the same page.

I would refer you to Paul's post I replied to regarding this, where he said these cars don't require a clutch - even when autoclutch is off.

My posts are only responses to those posts I quoted. Read in sequence I think they all make sense...

6. redapg

redapg Registered

There is the Problem and it is definitely caused by the Fact that English is not my native Language.
    I often have to use Google Translator, to translate Posts into German, when i try to better understand what is written.
    But when i sometimes do it "the other Way round", to check what my english written Post expresses in German Language, i see the Limitations of a Translator.
    Some Things are really hard to discuss in Forums, if People from different Countries communicate.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can assure you most people who speak English as a second (or third, ...) language, and are concerned about understanding it, suffer only as much confusion as people who share English as a first language. In this case there's one specific part of one post that gives the following posts context, and that's easy to miss (for anyone).

(the fact you know you might misunderstand, shows enough 'care factor' to overcome any minor deficiencies you might have, at least in comparison to most people who skim over text without really reading everything properly - myself included)

If you don't step back waving your hands denying full understanding, I think you'll find you do see what I'm talking about. It's just a single point, easy enough to recognise. And it really does change the whole picture of Paul's reaction, and my response to it.

@redapg one note, and this is the end of this sidetrack, apologies for all this - Paul did misspell "off", typing "of" instead. If you use a translator it will probably completely change the meaning.

RaceNut likes this.
  8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Main takeaway from all of this is that RF2's transmission systems model needs a general overhaul. I've had this conversation with a memeber of S397 staff, who agreed and hinted that it was being looked into, but that was quite a while back now and he's since left. Don't think we're going to see that happen any time soon though as focus of the teams efforts has shifted to LMU. But at least Im not gunna suddenly find myself in neutral when I skip shift in the Mini or Caterham from now on, so its an improvement! Cheers again @redapg!

9. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    I'm guessing with this 'fix' you can now just drive around full throttle switching gears at will with no form of clutch or rev matching being used?
    LoL that's more broken than it was before.

Regards.

10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

You can do that, if you wanna blow your engine and/or lock the diff and have a big crash lol!

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Did anybody forces you to use it?

Paul McC and atomed like this.
  12. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

It's well known that rF2 drivetrain modeling is lacking in multiple ways. This is old news. It's just another case of developers kicking the can further down the road, all while the issues only become even harder to solve as the underlying code becomes ever more complex. At least that's how it all looks from an outsider perspective.

Perhaps, IF / when the day comes where AI can be used to effectively solve code-level issues and inject new features, we might find some of these deeply rooted issues being addressed. Maybe.

13. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    Well of course not. I won't even download it, never mind use it.
    My apologies if you feel I'm trying to put you or your work down, that's not the case. I'm just kind of in the same mindset as Lazza that this is a step backwards.

Regards.

Edit: somehow left a word out lol.

14. redapg

redapg Registered

@Foxtrot Of course everybody can have an own Opinion.
    I just found your first Post totally superfluous.
    And especially the "LoL" was completely disrespectful.

ApexModding and Johnny Speed like this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For what it's worth...

I have no issue with people removing the clutch requirement so they can shift properly, I would do the same if I were spending a lot of time in the cars for personal use or for league racing. I use the realistic gearshift program already so I have to use the clutch. The game (any game) can't ensure everyone is doing things properly so this is personal preference.

It was nice to see some movement by the studio in terms of drivetrain for these cars, considering ISI mentioned drivetrain in 2013 and nothing came of it.

I would hate to see these cars officially modified in this way, rather than the gear bug being fixed, because it would signal no further intent for this sort of improvement. But people modifying cars for their own use is basically what led to rFactor. No criticism here.

redapg likes this.
  16. redapg

redapg Registered

That exactly is the Point in Cases like this one.
    I also would prefer to see S397 fixing such Things, that they work like the real Thing.

In this Case and almost all other Cases where i try to help, i just tried to help a User (or more Users) to be happy.
    Nothing less and nothing more.

And if someone has another Opinion about it, he can simply ignore such Threads or, if necessary, can write his Point of View.
    But in a respectful Way please.

pkelly and Johnny Speed like this.
  17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This forum contains so many ego battles that I guess someone forgot this was instead a user trying to make other users happy. We need more of you, @redapg.

atomed, redapg and ManfredK2_new like this.
  18. redapg

redapg Registered

Unfortunately it seems to be nowadays Trend, to comment Things in a negative Way.
    Fortunately there are also People that enjoy Life and what they do.
    It's a bit "off Topic", but look at the Face of the Babymetal Singer at ~ 4:51 in the below Video, to know what i mean. :)

John, Bernat, atomed and 3 others like this.
  19. Corti

Corti Registered

20. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Still not downloadble for me:
    Same for the Mini.
    Can you reup pls via google drive?