Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Obi

Obi Registered

New pc and fresh install a few days ago. Downloaded opencomposite system wide. Switched to open composite in launcher and enjoyed a smooth frustration free RF2 for a few days. Today I went to launch (steam) RF2 and I get this

opencomposite Error- info in log

openXR call failed. Aborting
    C\projects\openovr\ blah blah blah….

Would anyone know what this means? Am i suppose to be running open beta rf2? I’m ruining the vanilla. Point me in the right direction. Fwiw opencomp. Works with ams2 no issues. Does not work with ACC although it did before.

I7 12700k
    RTX 4070 ti 12gb vram
    16 ram 3200mhz
    1tb msi m371 for o.s
    2tb sad for apps.
    Rift s (gonna try that dpvr e4 on Sunday if it sucks I’ll send it back).

2. Thanks a lot for this list :)

Kelju_K likes this.
  3. Does everything work as expected if you switch back to native SteamVR? Sounds like something has been overwritten - tried to reinstall openXR?

On the other handside - I would say with a 4070ti there is no need to use openXR for performance reason and I think openComposite can be used with SteamVR, too.

4. PedroJ

PedroJ Registered

You are mistaken, Openxr Toolkit, is much better than SteamVR, if you have an WMR or OpenXR device. You gain performance compared to SteamVR, also you have a lots of tools in the VR menu to optimize the games, that you don´t have in steamVR.

I used to think like you, but 15 days ago, i tried again openxr and it was an "eye opener".

3800 12GB with HP G2 and 5800x3d.

5. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

I have the same issue:(
    Yesterday it was fine, today but wouldn't start.
    Was there an update for RF2?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  6. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Oculus v59 broke open composite.
    needs dirty roll back to v57 to get it working again, and oculus traffic blocked in firewall to prevent update back to v59
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SwGQ9vB8KBOWpPv_83GqZRYZsYnjgokX/view
    more info on open composite discord
    https://discord.gg/8mqCkXSK

7. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

BEWARE!! some people did the roll back without the blocked traffic, and when oculus updated back to v59. the rollback didnt work anymore!!!
    Oculus/Meta hates these dirty rollbacks so i suspect it might be even intentional from them to try to prevent this after second update to v59.
    I have experince of this shit from CV1 times.
    So do not waste time. and remember to do the firewall blocks!!!!

And fuck you oculus!!!!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    Lab Pong likes this.
  8. I know about openXR and performance increase also I know about the tools ;-) I used openXR and tools for reducing the "shiny" track surface on some tracks as known until - I think - mid of last year.

But I reacted that way and asked about SteamVR because I am running a 3080 with no probs using a Pico 4 and (yesterday) a Pimax 8kx with high details - so using a 4070ti (which is about 25 to 30% above a 3080) should not make any problems using SteamVR with the same settings just for testing ...

9. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

Yes runs OK for me in Steam vr too, but I liked the performance boost in open vr:(

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  10. Have you tried re-installing vcredist from support folder? E.g. PimaxXR requires latest vcredist as documented by the author - so maybe vcredist which is needed by rF2 is broken / has been overwritten?

11. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

No, im not aware of that at all.

12. alehop69

alehop69 Registered

Someone knows how use overlays (such Racelabs, SimHub,...) when using VR...???
    Thanks in advance...

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

There are videos on Discord and it's explained, but having to launch them before starting the race is shit, if you escape it, everything is screwed up and you have to reload it, I already discarded it and Simhub is also out.

14. I remember that there is a documentation around from Oculus which shows to "stick" or "pin" the applications in VR desktop before launching application - but I do not remember where to find it ...

But it is less than a compromise.

15. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

so what's recommended then? waiting for Meta to fix v59 in a future update or just wait and see. STEAMVR launch with RF2 gives really average performance so I really need my opencomposite/openxr thing

Oldgamergazza likes this.
  16. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i'd say roll back to v57.
    but if thats not your thing (to do these dirty rollbacks) i suggest using vrperfkit to upsample from lower resolutions while in steam vr.
    it gives bit perf boost without too bad drop in image quality.
    do not use any of the preset values, they are too aggressive! 0.9 is pretty good multiplier ;)

17. AKR

AKR Registered

Have always used steam VR so far (pimax 8kx, 3090 rtx), but now want to try openXR. From what I read so far it is not that simple to set up. Is there a complete/simple/fast manual somewhere to get it working in rf2 ? Link is enough. Sorry if it is already explained somewhere here on this forum, but so far I have not seen it. Oh and is it easy to switch back to steam VR if the results are not ok? Thanks in advance.

18. From my point of view it is simple ;-)

As I am using Pimax headsets, too, I think openXR will not work or at least using PimaxXR will better to use. https://github.com/mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR/releases

Just download the latest release and install it - the quick setup is also documented in the README.md of the git repo. I am using a 3080 and I have a gain of 3 to 5 FPS which is a lot when using VR headsets.

And yes, you can just switch between PimaxXR and SteamVR by just clicking the option (radio button) in PimaxXR - I think SteamVR needs to switched off while clicking or needs to be restarted.

edit: just to mention ... Pimax Client Software does make no difference to PiTool in my setup and I experienced a FPS loss while setting "fixed foveated rendering" to any value different to "1"

AKR and juanchioooo like this.
  19. AKR

AKR Registered

Thanks for the quick guide. 3-5 fps gain is somewhat dissapointing, but will surely try this later on !

20. I have done some quick tests this afternoon and the difference was 4-5 FPS using PimaxXR instead of using SteamVR (resolution (or whatever it is called in SteamVR) was set 100%).

If comes to VR I think it is a noticeable difference - if you are on screens then it is negligible of course (one would expect a difference of 20 to 25 FPS if changing GFX card for example).

I made a mistake concerning the option in Pimax Client (I have attached a screenshot) - sorry for that.

As I am using a 3080 I was able to reach 88 FPS at average while driving Valencia with 5 AI ahead of me at nearly full FX settings for every option (I am using triple screen setup most of the time and I am too lazy to change the FX settings even with stored profiles ;-) ) with the Pimax 8kx running at native resolution.

I changed player and opponent detail to low only and did set the override parameters in player.json to 3 for textures of player and opponent.

Attached Files: