New UI -> crash to desktop...

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Yzangard, Dec 23, 2020.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

I agree with you @redapg but if the problem is in the content, would be good to uninstall the what causes conflicts. And with the amount of content installed, or he has how to do this propperly or he's not going to solve the problem.
    In any case is better to do what redapg says first, just in case the problem is in the controllers.

redapg likes this.
  2. redapg

redapg Registered

@lagg We have a Saying here in Germany: Many Ways are leading to Rome. :)
    I just thought to start with the Trace Files, where normally then last Entry gives a Hint to the Reason for a Crash.
    And all Trace Files ended with Device Entries.
    Also to rename the UserData Folder before you start the Game, to get a fresh one, often solves some Problems.
    And there are much more Things to do.
    But you have to start somewhere and i would never start with a complete reinstall of the Game. ;)

lagg likes this.
  3. lagg

lagg Registered

It's curious.
    Is Spain we say "all the roads lead to Rome"
    I began to read the log from the beginning, but ou are right. It's better from the final.

redapg likes this.
  4. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Hello and thank you for your reply,

Indeed, I noticed that as well and tried several thing, it isn't related it seems. I also have those entries when launching the game with old UI, just would like to know why it is doing this, someone posted a tool somewhere that is forcing every HID to keep the same device id all the time, will try this but doesn't seem to be related.

5. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

In France we have the same said "tous les chemins mènent à Rome", funny :)

I think I have fixed the issue by removing all the content but will reply another of your posts to explain what I did.

6. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Renaming UserData was tested before, I even renamed the full rFactor 2 folder to force a new installation : same result, so wasn't related directly with something older.

7. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

This reply and other ones made me want to try removing everything, as we discussed before. It didn't seem to fix anything but after reboot, it did fix the issue, so when the game crashes at least once, it seems something is started, a ghost process or a regular process, that is preventing the game from launching, so unless we discover what process so we can kill it, it is better to reboot when trying to fix this issue. There are ghost "rfactor2.exe" processes but killing them doesn't fix anything, so surely something else.

So I removed all third party content, only the official content is installed so far and the game is launching properly now, I can close the game and launch it again without any problem. It seems it was some content, from workshop or directly installed, that was causing this issue. I had so many mods i can't really know which one or ones was(were) causing the problem and traces weren't that helpful.

Thank you all for your suggestions, really appreciate it, was just wondering why no dev is replying...

redapg and lagg like this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

Here you'll find support from the community mainly.
    It seems that Discord is the best place to contact with S397.

9. Jihemme

Jihemme Registered

Well, not working anymore this morning, nothing special occured in between, jut this morning the same problem arose again.

Would really be great if a dev could look at this since I am not the only one with this issue and no solution have been found yet.

10. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Wonderful, didn't even noticed I had 2 forum accounts...my bad.

But still the facts are here : it is not working anymore, I surely have to delete a whole bunch of stuff then reboot but clearly, it is not normal to ask users to pray and try to find a way to use what they paid for...so really, I ask for a dev to reply and help on this topic.

As suggested I posted the same thing with a link to this thread on their discord server, now let's see what will happen but I clearly don't understand how this can be open for weeks and still no official reply anywhere, any of the opened thread on this exact issue, not like I was the only one in this situation !

11. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

Hello,
    No, you are not alone ...
    I have the same problem. I also went back to the old UI which works very well. The new UI has always bugged me.
    Really tired of waiting for a solution.
    I repeated the news yesterday. The worst is that it completely freezes my computer now ....!

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Yzangard can you post a fresh trace file? Also, if you haven't already, disable all addon plugins.

13. Roberb

Roberb Registered

I see this thread now and add myself having the same problem not solved yet. I have tried everything but it seems that a process gets stuck in the wheel (Fanatec Wheel Base V2.5). The display shows rF2 and from that moment the game does not start. I don't know what to do anymore, boot with administrator, reinstall rF2, delete json files and other tests always gone wrong. Is it possible that there is no solution?

14. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

Hello, I am not very good at computers.
    How do I find the trace file?

15. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

I just removed all the plugins ... nothing to do, back to the office ....

16. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

modDev/userDate/Log

17. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

OK, thanks.
    But I can't find any traces of error files ..?
    I'm sick of this new Ui crashing my computer, whereas before I had no problems ..
    It would be that S397 acts quickly, because there are many of us in this case I think ...
    I will try to remove all my personal skins ...

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

19. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

well, I have totally deleted the "userdata" folder .... And obviously for the moment it's not crashing .... My fingers crossed ...

20. Roberb

Roberb Registered

I fixed the crash problem (it couldn't even start because a ghost process remained in the Fanatec wheel) by deleting the controller.jason file as already illustrated by others here above. The path to the file I put back if anyone needs it ... steamapps / common / ractor2 / user data / player / controller.json file to delete controller.jason! But now I have another problem, the game freezes and I have to exit by force. I hope they solve the guys from S 397