S397

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patchedupdemon, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Filip

Filip Registered

On the other hand Reiza is known for polished content.
    Recently released Puma DLC was patched on Christmas Eve or something like that, immediately after release.
    But how many sales AMS has? Has that reputation bring them more users?

2. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

They sold it to me at list :) And recently i have seen super truck online championshp organized in this sim at one of the youtube channels i subscribed.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Can you prove it didn't? Considering how small its player base is and every time someone asked about AMS people were telling how polished the content and the whole game was I'm sure it has brought some more users. Heck I only bought their season pass to support them because of the excelent job they did and I used the DLC content only once lol most times I was racing mods so I didnt even need to buy that, but their job was too good to ignore.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well Automobilista is considered outdated by many as it is based on oldie rF1, even though it is neat and good package, there also aren't very much licensed names to slap people by.

I think people loves progress, good reviews and large player counts. Also being best at something is very important. Automobilista is overall great, but is it best at anything ?

AC is best at content and currently at player numbers
    R3E - best at sound ?
    iR - best at multiplayer, also best at being expensive
    rF2 - best at physics*

Mother nature made it like that :D Imagine one sim being best at everything, then there would probably be less of them.

* being best at physics doesn't mean that models can be unfinished, and laserscaning present day tracks is unnecessary. Also doesn't mean that physics are perfect.

5. Filip

Filip Registered

Can you prove it did?

6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Ok we get it, shoddy releases are good enough for you, doesn’t mean they are good enough to compete and draw people from other sims.
    I don’t understand how you don’t want S397 to produce the best product on the market.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You were the one with the accusation, it's up to you :)
    I understand some people go blind to defend what they like more, it's a sad way to live.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Steamcharts provides a reasonable estimate to figure out active user count. AMS has been hovering around 120 active peak daily users since 2016. rF2 number from last month was 470, which is around a 100 peak user increase since a year ago. December peak was the highest user count rF2 has ever achieved, so it seems that the GT3 pack did bring some new users.

9. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i must be the only one that i believe that AMS is the best to make people drive like crazy
    one of the horniest ever made sim racing tiltles
    bring the love back on track :)

tlsmikey likes this.
  10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Of course mainstream content would bring more people. If these packs didnt that would be strange.
    Still nothing wrong with wanting S397 to put the same effort on cars as they did with Sebring, that had 0(!!!) complaints.
    Dont get why this offend the fanboys so much. We aren't requesting anything S397 isn't capable of doing, they literally only need to stop rushing content because of a compeition, holiday or specific real life race event and they'd get things right. Especially because most issues are easy to fix actually.
    The biggest issue is that the more they keep this way the bigger the snow ball of fixes will become. There is no reason for stuff not being fixed a year after release.

11. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

The only thing that would turn me away from rF2... Is if they shut modding down, restricted the platform... I sincerely don't know what I'd do then. Well probably roll back to the last ISI build since that would be open still...

I kind of know what it takes to make the little mistakes that people refer to here and there... Missing calipers can be a handful of missing entries in the gen file, a pair of "//" that hasn't been removed or something like that. A saving of a steering wheel with a material (the center strip missing) disabled... An honest mistake that can happen even for professionals... "but it shouldn't happen", "It doesn't happen in iRacing" I can't comment on that, because I don't follow iRacing close enough but I'm certain they've made hotfixes down the road to some of their content, it is inevitable.

Also, you have to remember that quite a sizeable amount of these cars' 3D models are made by modders on contract so to speak... It is still amateurs suddenly making a bit of cash of their hobby. Mistakes can be made, as long as they're ironed out down the road, personally, I couldn't care less.

Getting the 2019 Vantage and 720S is huge, it's nowhere to be found anywhere else... Maybe the reason why we have it already is because it has a few imperfections - should I be advocating this? I don't know... But a part of me still thinks it's super cool to have it already, even though I haven't bought the pack, but that's more because it's GT3 and GT3-racing doesn't float my boat... Was it the GTE Vantage I'd be all over it.

As I said to begin with... The reason I've been registered to this forum since its origin, is because I was and still am a huge rFactor (started with the EA F1-titles!) and ISI supporter, some would say fanatic - and that's perfectly fine with me. The open platform, the modding, the p-motor - the physics are what made me fall in love with this franchise and its heritage. Not DLC's or in-house made content - to me it's a bonus. It's an option, a side dish - herbs and spices. But the meat and potatoes lies within the platform, openess, the options, the unrestrictedness (and LOW costs!) and the engine. The engine still lacks some additions that to me are way more important to be improved or added than anything else (Improved rain, improved interconnected environment affecting track and ambient temps, improved drivetrain model, added ERS, improved AI, improved yadda yadda).

At the end of the day I have been loving this franchise and ISI-based racing simulators for more than half of my existance... It enriches my life on pretty much a daily basis...
    And if it wasn't for rFactor2 I would not be able to race one of my favorite cars of all time with the fidelity it can have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluet, Superdevil, davehenrie and 8 others like this.
  12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Louis likes this.
  13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

My main problem with this is how much I'm paying for these cars. Living in Brazil they cost way too much. I'm not blaming S397 for the price, our economy is crap and this is our fault only (I dont understand when other people complain about it putting the blame on S397), but when you pay this much for cars with such stupid issues it's just dumb to see them being released this way :D
    I think the Formula E car also had no complaints. They can do things well.

14. patchedupdemon

Exactly, the standard has to maintained or improved upon, not degraded, when such simply things go under the radar, what type of perception does that give people that S397 can deliver improvements the main physical aspects of the sim without such shoddy mistakes

avenger82 and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  15. Filip

Filip Registered

Define "best product".

16. Filip

Filip Registered

If these numbers are correct then how come a sim that releases "unfinished, buggy" content gets new users and sim with polished content can't? It turns out polishing isn't the way to go.

17. patchedupdemon

No need for me to reply to this or the one above,mind blown

18. Filip

Filip Registered

You are saying you can't explain those numbers?

19. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

For a little while players were able to fix broken elements in Bethesda games -- Bethesda got into the habit of forcing others to finish their own work. But since the "open" racing simulator isn't open, that's not an option here.

d0nd33 likes this.
  20. patchedupdemon

No but your reasoning behind it