Latest Roadmap Update - May 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 31, 2018.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

In my case it reverts to AUTO (graphic card) every time, I don't know why to be honest...
    Btw, I think the current engine still needs a lot of work if not a total overhaul (I know this is impossible and time consuming).
    The real main problem of rF2 isn't the lack of some features or basic stuff (those will arrive soon or later and it is shaping good) but the lack of consistence in performance between different PCs and settings...low settings should work similar for all, you can have slightly differences due to different hardware of course but sometimes the less powerful PCs runs better than gaming monsters or, like me and my friend, you can have 2 equal pc and one works and mine not...
    Btw, I think you guys got the point right?

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  2. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yup, I bought GPL the day it came out and it was years before I could get 36 fps out of it.

bwana likes this.
  3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@ADSTA was it the old rf1 one => http://www.rfactorlive.co.uk/main.php?page=downloads I had a look at this a fair while ago (years) and was getting an error when selecting replay file (can't remember the exact error).... if your mate has got a working version for rF2 can you ask him for a link please.

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You know what, in 18months-ish of owning a Rift I've never once looked behind me in RF2 in Open Wheelers :p Just looked at the USF2000 and sure enough, no wing or rear wheels!

6. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

If you are looking at the back seat, or want to, while you are racing, you're doing it wrong.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Whilst I agree with that sentiment when racing it would be good to have Full Models visible at other times, unless of course there is a specific reason (extra resources cost performance for example). Also remembering a lot of the older Models along with Cockpit View was made before VR was even added to RF2, so for newer cars it would be cool but certainly not a necessity for me personally but each to their own of course. :)

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

There is this line in the player.JSON but .....:confused: it isn't pretty
    "Self In Rearview":"",
    "Self In Rearview#":"Empty for nothing, * for everything, otherwise list comma-delimited instances you want _removed_",

9. Ramiro000

Ramiro000 Registered

On the Roadmap, great job! I may be the only one expecting the March, Brabham and Mclaren cars more than the GTE and LMP ones :D, but I'm really looking forward to trying those. Sebring previews look great, too!
    On the performance side, I'll say this: the optimizations that were released were good, the game has a more stable framerate and all, but compared to every other sim that I've played on PC, and by far, this is the worst performing one. That's not to say that the framerate is atrocious, but to merely say that I barely manage to keep 60 fps with a grid of 13-14 cars on clear conditions (because rain is a total fps killer) on a lot of tracks, so that's really something. I hope more optimizations come along the road, because I absolutely love the sim, and for hotlapping, it is one of my favourites, but yeah, you can't deny that compared to everything else, it doesn't perform too well.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I forgot about that, never tested that in VR will do another time, thanks for the heads up.

ADSTA likes this.
  11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

There's someone who hasn’t stood beside his sim chair with HMD on then climbed into the car :cool:

Next, opening doors on closed cockpit models; teleporting around the pit area (my study is big enough to walk to the back door of the pit, it frustrates me that I can’t get through it and into the paddock!); virtual spectating...

Ernie, bwana, Mibrandt and 1 other person like this.
  12. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Another thing is rely almost exclusive on post processing to have nice graphics.

It's a mistake in my opinion. The GPU cost is too high for what you get. In online mode with larger grids could be a problem.

The best choice is do what reiza did on automobilista, really optmized de graphics engine in terms of quality and performance. Using post processing Just as a filter for retro and other screen styles.

13. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Yes that 3rd party app was created by Gerald originally for RF1 and is an awesome piece of work. IF that is what was used is this 397 using other peoples work for a commercial purpose without any recognition to the creator? Replay office is that good it should be made part of RF2 and updated if needed. I am not sure if Gerald is around any more but his work was simply incredible.

elcoco likes this.
  14. stonec

stonec Registered

Most people already turn post FX off. Reiza has not done anything to optimize engine, they use rF1 engine with some new shaders. rF1 engine was designed to work with single core CPU and GPU with 128 MB VRAM, so no wonder that it runs well on today's hardware. Btw they are moving to rF2 engine soon apparently, so the complaints will be the same then.

ebeninca likes this.
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This was about the sadest news id heard for a while ! Ive been hanging for AMS in VR and now with them going to F2 engine aswell we will have the two best Sims both using engines that really struggle with framerates .
    I mean I have a 1080ti/7700k rig and its just not possible to run VR without massive compromises :(
    rF2 can look good in VR but settings need to be high for that but we must use Low settings unless we are happy to be at ASW 45 .
    I know i shouldn't be comparing to pC2 but I can run pretty high settings at night and storms with AA High and SS 1.4 and have 90fps pretty much all the time .

Ernie and ebeninca like this.
  16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

AMS is orgasm

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If they develop proper Dx11 shaders it may not be so bad.

F1Aussie likes this.
  18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Sorry @Goanna, he uses rF2ReplayOffice.

19. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

About motec integration.

In iRacing we have the VRS racing School, this guys took to the next level, you can compare your laps easily with their aliens or with your friends.

And another big team (Pure Racing team) is gonna open their virtual school too.

Maybe we get something closer in rf2.

20. Goanna

Goanna Registered

OK, thanks for asking, will have to check out rF2ReplayOffice

ADSTA likes this.