Quick impressions from a pro driver.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caravan_driver, Jan 29, 2018.

1. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Hes been reviewing some racing games.
    He changes no settings at all in the game for the video. Thats tricky for RF2 that has light rubber as default track state. In the AC video he was max track grip.
    The car has too much oversteer.

2. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

He has both valid and invalid points, regardless of the simulator and/or being a pro driver.

I always take the opinions of "pros" with a very large amount of salt since you can put two professional drivers in the same car and they'll both have different opinions on how it feels, drives, sounds, and whatnot.

First point I think is a valid one: no Nordschleife. ISI's fault, but still a shame it's not in the base game. S397 should include that ASAP.

Then the display: that got me too. No lap times, the display fonts look horrible. And I'm adding my own additional complain here = no split times on any rF2 car, no even on the newest ones. Also, no way to change the display info, instead we must change only the "LCD mode" which is a HUD. I hate HUD's, we should be able to change the car's display information.
    And also the obvious engine lights being broken too.

Track seems to be OK according to him, and it is. Though not laser scanned AFAIK, still a very accurate representation of it.

Setup wise I think he's right, it's too oversteery, although I'm surprised I can manage that way better than him. And IMO the "oversteeryness" is a trend on S397 GT3 cars, perhaps the Bentley being an exception.

Soundwise I think it's too boring, all cars sound robotic, lifeless, and too soft. He did say sound is exactly the same as the real car but perhaps he's referring to the engine rev notes, which is correct. Perhaps since I'm a musician and sound engineer I'm disappointed with the sound of all GT3 Pack cars in regards to bass, piston explosions, environment, etc.

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  3. bwana

bwana Registered

Pretty irrelevant , driving in practise ,solo with default set in what isn’t really a good example of rf2 cars on a green track at what is regarded as a lifeless track .. score his review 6/10 at best

Sebastien Sestacq and Ari Antero like this.
  4. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I do not understand English spoken so I can not value what he says, but I hope he will be a bit better as a professional driver than as a virtual driver.

ECAR_Tracks and Ari Antero like this.
  5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

What an irrelevant review. I own every sim there is and I don`t rate any of them based to default FFB and setup. If car has oversteer/understeer it is the lesson number one regarding setups how to fix it. This review is a joke and the guy is driving like my mother who is soon 90 years old ;)

6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Hi,

It's nice to have review from pro driver. Unfortunately it seems he just installed( or haven't played) rF2 after a long time. For instance he didn't even know how to display lap times.
    Ah and he also reviewed iRacing an pCars and has plan for more.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

thats the second video of the same guy promoting himself and not really doing a good review.
    there are better reviews on youtube and the fact that they are mades by non pros makes non difference.
    when you load rf2 you load decent physics...... cant say the same for other games.

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

sorry i meant second post for the same guy not second video...sorry.

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

@mesfigas
    Can you please post links to these reviews?
    I didn't see someone else also posted link to the same video.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

the review from the pro starts by saying that the last time that the game was the best 10 years ago but he dont know how it is going now.
    he also drives a few laps and compares it to the real car that he test or drives in real track.
    personally for he test a not good car ( Merchendes gt3) to review Rf2
    if you need to watch better video for reviewing rf2 search the youtube.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Real race car driver talks about how the car he drives in real life is simulated in the game.
    "Non professionals" that never drove the real thing can do a better review of the car than the dude that get paid to do it IRL.
    Ok.

mesfigas likes this.
  12. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I watched the one on iracing that was linked on their forum and replied to it by saying.

Not very informative,all he said was the braking points were spot on,and I got the usual treatment from the resident forum dwellers on their lol

bwana and mesfigas like this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You need someone, who's an accomplished driver AND more than just a casual sim-driver. I would trust Dale Earnhardt Jr's review of how a Nascar level car performs because he has spent many years doing both. I would be leery of a guy who comes into a non-familiar sim enviroment and compare his real world driving to the sim.
    I saw a vid of a real driving using VR in a GT3 car and the comments basically focused on how much he checked his mirrors. {at least the ones I remember} The process of comparing sims to real world probably should be done by committee, we need more input from different drivers and them compile them. One guy, one car, I dunno.

14. Comante

Comante Registered

I've not bothered to watch the video, but the premise is bad from the start: you can't fire un a software, use it without any tweaking of the options to suit your hardware or personal tastes and the call it a comparison. Comparisons and review should be approached with a method, I understand the not everyone has a scientific thinking, but you can't do that without a criteria.

SteveK, bwana, Ernie and 1 other person like this.
  15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

what worries me if someone like Nicki Thiim (experienced sim racer) turns around and says rf2 isn't like real life - how would you guys react then? Would you just negate his opinion too?

Im not saying this guy is 100% correct but out of all of us, these guys racing these things in real life, have the only TRUTHFUL opinion as to realism - whether it be bad or good. RF2 isn't for everyone, and regarding RF2 accessibility then maybe we should come away using the negatives as a guide on how to improve rf2, not just look through tinted glasses :)

aguy0523, Karei, andrea_274 and 2 others like this.
  16. patchedupdemon

My main problem with this is the premise of real race driver reviews “insert here”
    Yet fails to talk about physics or tyre models,he just gives a few statements about braking points and the default setups.

Now Nikki is the man,and he along with two others have said the physics and tyre model,braking characteristics of iracing,and I quote here,are shit.

If they were to come here and say the same,I’d listen and say ok thanks for clarifying,because for one I’m not a real race driver,never driven any of these they do,so I’d take their opinion as truthful and fact.

I keep asking Nikki to try out rf2 for this very reason,I want to know a pros thoughts on this games physics and tyre model

I got a reply from him “copy copy,will do soon”
    So it will be interesting either way his opinion falls

17. LokiD

LokiD Registered

keep on asking him i would love that to :)

18. patchedupdemon

Edited post above,I got a reply and he said he would try it out soon.

I’d take his word over many others because I like his style,he don’t give a damn about hurting people’s feelings,and isn’t sponsored by any of the games,plus the guy is funny as hell

jayarrbee36 and SPASKIS like this.
  19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i think its just good to see real life drivers even looking into these sims thanks to youtube etc. I suppose they cant go into that much detail regarding tyre models etc as they probably dont know what goes into them. All i want to know that it feels like 80% of the real thing! real life most of the feedback from the car you cant replicate so you will never get a 100% feeling sim.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  20. patchedupdemon

By tyre model and physics I just meant the feel of them,like you said,especially over limit handling is what I mainly would like to know whichever sim feels most realistic