Quick impressions from a pro driver.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caravan_driver, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

you need to grow "sim legs" to be able to get a feeling of everything that is happening with the car in simulator(s).
    some people grow them faster than others. real life experience has nothing to do with how quickly one grows them. i would even go as far as saying that long time experience with real cars and no sim experience during that time, could actually impair you somewhat growing them legs.

i used to host simracing nights ( back in rf1 time) with friends over, competing against each other and some had more real life experience than others but it did no good to them really. complete noobs in both could beat the "karting since 5 years old" and real life rallycross drivers. intoxication levels were pretty much the same with all of us :D and racing driver or not, everybody was the type that fools around with their street car in the winter time, so loosing and gaining grip, as keeping it at the sweet spot was familiar to all of us in real car. still some were able to grow them "simlegs" astonishingly fast, some struggled more, some just didn't get it at all.

I personally have had so little time to play sims lately that my "simlegs" have shrunken somewhat, even so that some of my favorite cars (dissenter, cobra) feel frustratingly hard to drive. but I do not drive any worse irl !!! and i know if i started to play more frequently again, that dissenter would be easy peacy again.

that guy in the video, just need to grow some simlegs before he's valid to make a comparison!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I still think that Jan's comments about the balance of the car were mostly because of not using abs and tc, but i agree with that sim legs thing. It takes some time to get your brain used to take all the information about car's movements and other things from screen and ffb instead of through the seat and g-forces.

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  3. Filip

Filip Registered

But then again he didn't have any problems in iRacings Nordschleife where he did similar times to his real life run.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe he is more accustomed to Iracing, or Iracing offered an easier experience to him (without implying that is less realistic, never tried it).

5. Filip

Filip Registered

Just saying that he is not a sim newbie.

6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

He did,he said the baseline setup was oversteer madness.
    But I can bet he started with the default 35% track usage in iracing instead of a totally green track here

7. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

The track was not green in RF2. At least light rubber.

The games he mostly didnt have problems with were AC and Raceroom. In AC he actually adjusted the FFB because it was also too strong according to him.
    Funny thing is that he used kerb effets in AC set to a "realistic level". But that effect is not even tied to the physics according to the guy who wrote it.
    The ABS and Traction control in AC were already set to realistic values and in the console UI you see those settings before going to the track.

8. green serpent

green serpent Registered

You can somewhat make a car handle the way you want i.e more oversteer/understeer, twitchy/soft etc. So what is the point of saying 'this car does xyz', when with a few clicks it can be totally changed?

I test drove a second hand honda civic recently. The seat was set far too upright, and it was too close to the steering wheel. Also I couldn't see behind me very well because the mirrors were not pointing in the correct direction. For those reasons I concluded that it wasn't a very good car, so I didn't buy it.

See my point? With certain things, if you're not willing to make some adjustments, you can't really draw solid conclusions can you?

I actually don't think the video is bad at all. It just had the wrong title. It should be something along the lines of "First impressions of rF2 straight out of the box".

mesfigas, Kelju_K and bwana like this.
  9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Yes I think light rubber was default preset for Silverstone. Nevertheless, by default tracks should be at least have preset: medium, because it's closer to usual IRL.
    I didn't see his AC review, was it in english?

10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Yes that would summarize what I said is my understanding, why front-heavy car with long wheelbase doesn't understeer in this situations.
    So could this be caused by different setup game (as I said ABS, rear wing, brake bias) than his real GT3?

Nevertheless, even without ABS, if front tyres would also lock up in such scenario, then I think such car should understeer (or even go straight)?

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I´ve not read all of this thread, but all I can say is that this example shows again that rF2 out of the box is still a unstructered mess!
    Noone seemed to invested enough thoughts on how and most of all, how realistic the default state of the sim is.
    That´s really a shame!

Mibrandt likes this.
  12. caravan_driver

The AC review was in german but someone added english subtitles for him.

My impression is that AC was the game he found the most realistic of them all.
    On optimum track, default setup and realistic assists.

13. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Just because a car is front engined dosnt necessarily mean the centre of mass is at the front. I assume the centre of mass would be pretty central. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, if front and rear tyres lock up I guess the car would go straight, but I think in this situation only the rears were locking up.

14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I finally tried other GT3 car- Chevrolet Camaro (available from the workshop) and with default setup (and disabled ABS) there was much understeer in this case. Of course turning on ABS laregerly reduced understeer. So why such difference? Weight distribution, default setup ( if I remember correctly break bias was around 54:46)?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

It's not a mess out of the box and everyone who is able to install (and use) Windows will be able to get this sim going. People are short fuzes nowadays and that's coming from someone in the late 20's and who is propably at the lower end when it comes to the sim racing demography. I was actually surprised that a pro driver didn't come to the conclusion that locking up the rears without using ABS would turn the car into oversteer at corner entry while using trail braking with the default break bias. It was so obvious that I wonder how much technical understanding those drivers have nowadays. Those cars are build with assists in mind for gods sake. This has nothing to do with a realistic default state (if there is even something like that in sim racing) but simply with the UI wich is WIP atm, wich should tell you if you are using assists or not in the pits. Considering this a review of a person who rates rF1 high, this should have been pretty clear. So at the end it is a very superficial "review". He has a point with the car displays though. If he would stream those sims for more than 20 minutes he would have a fair point :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    jayarrbee36 likes this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

Comedians
    In Sims
    Making reviews

17. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

upload_2018-2-2_8-14-32.jpeg

I bet his real GT3 car is simcade. And he is pretty stupid to think that the car will have traction control and ABS like in real life. What a dumbass - he should know this is a hardcore sim. He really needs to grow some RF2 legs before opening his mouth. I also think he is probably just making these videos to bash RF2.

18. caravan_driver

At least in this official AMG GT3 the oversteer with the default setup (which indeed is 54) is cured by the ABS.
    Try it out with ABS on. The car is extremely easy. In 5 laps I was doing the real life pole of 1:59. So this car should be 2 or 4 seconds faster than that in the game.
    The game should be like AC and change these driving assists settings to realistic values by default.

19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Pro tip: next time read the thread before trying to be sarcastic. Because currently someone else is a dumbass.

20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I know that and I tired it a long time ago (on C6R GT3 which had simmilar oversteer without ABS).