Quick impressions from a pro driver.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caravan_driver, Jan 29, 2018.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think this applies to all his reviews, not just rF2. It's a very superficial way of giving a review about a very complex topic like sim racing in 15 minutes no matter the tested platform and his driving shows this a bit. The car in rF2 has ABS and TC like the real thing, it just needs to be activated. This is where interactive longer life streams would be more suited instead of videos that serve no other purpose than entertaining as it seems. People who are looking for something informative are left a bit puzzled. My 2 cents ;)

2. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Tested the same car in AC and it is equally oversteering with rear bias and no ABS.
    Only difference being how the tyres behave vastly differently over the limit in each game. But thats the whole physics engine difference.
    Also the pedals in AC are way less sensitive using the same linear setting.
    But AC comes with a setup of 74 bias (50-80 adjustment range) while RF2 comes with 54 and only goes to 57.
    Strange.

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Hmm.. I need to try it also, because I drove similar cars that exist in both of these sims (i.e. C6R GT2) and with ABS and TC disabled and in AC I didn't experience snap-oversteer while braking with default setup. It's much more "tame" in such cases - if I remember correctly tires don't lock up so easily and if anything the car understeers while braking.

4. Joe

Joe Registered

This is very true!! You know why?

Here is why see at 20:05 this video

caravan_driver and Korva7 like this.
  5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks! I like that he's quite humble and admits they didn't simulate sliding part accurately. I think since then, tire model significantly improved at least with some cars(i.e. BMW i235), because it's much easier/natural to correct small slides now. But still rFactor2 is way ahead when it comes to tire model.
    Usually in rF2, tires tend to lose traction more often, but at the same time the transitions are much smoother, so it's much easier and natural to regain grip and even recover from a spin.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. caravan_driver

The explanation is in that rear bias default setting and range in the two games.
    It would be nice to find the real car setup to see which one is different from the real thing.
    I would guess the RF2 is the divergent one.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Interesting, I would guess precisely the opposite.

8. caravan_driver

But then how would the car have the understeer behavior the real driver was expecting?
    With a max of 57 bias in RF2 against a default of 71 in AC going all the way to 80.
    It is true that the driver used to drive the SLS. But I think they should be very close. Or not.
    Correction: he is driving the AMG GT3 currently.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

If you put ABS and TC on in rf2 you get pretty much the behavior the real driver was hoping for.
    Also the real car has ABS and TC so it makes sense.

To my knowledge he has been driving the same amg gt3 in real life.

10. caravan_driver

I checked his profile after that. Youre right.
    But as @avenger82 said, if you remove every assist shoudnt you be able to make the car "go straight".
    In AC it is possible to do that with 70plus bias. With a max of 57 and no assists both games tend to lose the rear under braking like the driver showed in RF2.

11. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yep. I don't know why that brake bias adjustment is so limited in rf2. Maybe that is the amount of adjustment the real car has? Or maybe there is some other reason. But i think it's good thing if the car behaves about the same in both games with the same settings.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I don't think any racing car goes above 65% brake bias. The understeering in curve entrance would be huge. Anything above 60 is already a lot.

Brake bias adjustment should be done taking into account tire loads and such an extreme bias would be simply wrong since you wouldn't be using rear end braking capabilities.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I think the Radical is the only that allow more brake to the front, it sure helps a lot

14. Comante

Comante Registered

Pay attention please, brake bias does not take into account difference in brake calipers. so it is not the actual reading of braking force front/rear, but of pressure front/rear.

As many cars have smaller calipers in the rear, this mean that brake force is probably ALWAYS forward, even if you put it all backward.

15. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

His AC review is excellent, because he goes into more detail and uses the assists. The default assist settings are realistic in AC, and AC also models assists more accurately than rF2. AC uses the same number of level settings as the real cars -- usually around 6-12 -- but rF2 only has 3 for every car.

He should redo the rF2 review; that one was really poor.