Released NEW! GT3 Pack - Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@liakjim can you post your system specs? And what happens with 0 AI?

2. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Well.... :p
    You got me there.

Unfinished in the sense that it's almost done, just minor bugs to correct. Nothing quite like the Radical they released.

McKiernan likes this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

First thing you should do is to turn vsync off. You have sync set to "video" in the screenshot, which means FPS is limited to 60, and GPU will not be fully utilized for the part that can deliver over 60 FPS.

CPU utilization is rarely 100% in games, the lower, the better. 100% CPU utilization means rF2 is running out of realtime and becoming unplayable. rF2 can only use 2 cores to max anyway, so 100% isn't possible on 4 core CPU.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Maybe, but people will complain if the track costs 15USD, which is iRacing level. The price will have an impact on sales. At moment, GT3 pack has sold around ~3000 units, so even if they sell Nords at 15USD, that still would be only 15*3000*0.7 (Steam revenue) = 31K. So they would barely make it even, without considering all development costs etc.

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Nords is like the (V8)Supercars: everyone loves it till they actually have to drive it, then the number of enthusiasts drop ridiculously.
    I'd consider extremely risky to license it, but who knows, we may be surprised. Personally I wouldn't buy so I may be biased on my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of it.
    I do love the Supercars tho :D

Gary77 likes this.
  6. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

True, but iRacing and rFactor 2 have two completely distinct audiences in terms of usage.
    I think iRacing is the most popular sim, so they shouldn't charge that much. They could charge less, so the complaint is right.
    rFactor 2 is one of the least popular sims, so in order to make money out of less sales S397 will have to charge more than the conventional simulator. To me that's totally fine.

Then charge more :) I know some wouldn't pay, but I would. I'm not sure how much of an impact on sales that would have; all I know is that I like the direction S397 is taking with rFactor 2, and I think something similar to the World's Fastest Gamer competition, but with the Nordschleife involved, would be a nice thing to happen for rFactor 2. They can do really good with marketing if they want: "The most detailed and accurate simulator, now with a laser-scanned version of the most popular and difficult track in the world, the Green Hell. Drive it like in no other simulator: with accurate rain, night, and tyre simulations; across multiple classes, across 24h and swap seats with your best bud". Something like that :p

I'm not saying it would be game-changing, but certainly a step forwards, specially if you look at ISI didn't do for rFactor 2. They almost killed it. Now there's a new boss, he's trying to revive this near dead horse that we all love, and I know I would do anything on my reach to help revive it. rFactor 2 has the best potential of all simulators and already delivered most out of all, but unless we do something to keep it alive it won't go very far till it dies completely or keep forever in this "it has potential, next year we'll see something new" state.

Besides, licensing the Nords is a long-term investment. R3E is also very unpopular, and it licensed it. IMO, it's worth it in the long run.

Anyway, we're a bit off-topic, so if there's some thread with this subject I think it's more appropriate for us to talk about this over there :p

7. liakjim

liakjim Registered

Guys i appreciate the help but these comments show that you have no idea of how pc's work.
    It doesn't matter what GFX settings i used, it doesn't matter if i had vsync on.
    It dosn;t matter actually what CPU or GPU i have ( i5 4460 and nvidia 1060 3gb)
    CPU (all cores) and GPU are way below 100, actually CPU (all cores i repeat) is at 28% and GPU only at 60% and Vram with plenty of headroom.
    There is absolutely no reason that i shouldn't get my 60fps.

The funny thing is that i tried what @marmagas said i used 30 as visible cars.
    And voila , solid 60fps!!! So thanks Dimitris (i guess)
    With only 12AI...
    I thought that this setting might control lods but no, since even at the start of the race, fps didn't drop.
    Maybe some dev should take notice.
    Cheers

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@liakjim I'm sorry, in future I'll completely ignore system specs when someone asks why their PC is doing something. Thanks for the tip.

Will Mazeo, Lgel and alpha-bravo like this.
  9. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm sorry, but if you think GPU utilization should always be 100% with vsync on, you are simply wrong. I have a degree in computer science and have been using PC's for the last 20 years. I play games daily and just did a test with GTA 5 using vsync, and no, it doesn't give me 100% GPU utilization, more like 70%. What vsync does is limiting your GPU frames to match your monitor frequency.

The CPU utilization is never 100% in rF2, so it's irrelevant. Games rarely use 100% CPU these days, if they do, they are typically badly coded. The lower CPU utilization, the better. End of story.

If it's not vsync that is causing you problems, one other explanation would be running out of vram. Your screenshot shows 2800 MB used, and even though there is 200 MB left, rF2 can be problematic once approaching vram limits. If it's that close to the limit it might not allocate the whole track to vram and start using system ram, which is slow. I would always be at least 500 mb from limit to be safe.

juanchioooo, emha76 and Lgel like this.
  10. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Just before the release of the first radical Studio 397 asked and got community skins to add to the mod release. Seemed to work for that. Maybe they should have done a similar thing for this car set.

Personally I'm not interested in the mod but having multiple skins on one car and one for the others knowing the result was pretty stupid.

With the current system for adding custom skins the way it works is, and has not helped the artists among us to want to add liveries to existing mods.
    We've done this for leagues to add personalized cars to a mod but this works the best when the skins are added and the mod is repacked. This way the cars can be set up with a proper veh ini file and the owner of the new car can edit the Gen string to their liking. The add-on system doesn't allow this degree of editing so it's not been a popular method to use. Repacking changes the ID code and makes the mod only online or LAN compatible to that release. Private league release for example.

This is why we're not seeing very many community livery releases like we used to for rFactor1.

11. Filip

Filip Registered

I don't know about skinning but how could they let community do it if the cars were not announced?

Emery, jayarrbee36 and bravotangosix like this.
  12. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am pretty sure the new UI will improve this, I agree with you the actual situation is ridiculous.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-gt3-pack-now-available.58031/page-19#post-918592
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-gt3-pack-now-available.58031/page-20#post-918708

Cheers.

13. liakjim

liakjim Registered

Never said that.

14. liakjim

liakjim Registered

PC speqs had nothing to do.
    Components have plenty of headroom so they can be anything.

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@liakjim Which motherboard do you have?

16. liakjim

liakjim Registered

Msi H97 mate.

Guys please don't ask irrelevant questions.
    We have a PC that a game can't use it's components properly. My screenshots are the proof.
    If a dev needs any logs or anything , I can reproduce this issue.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

S397 have said they just wanted to get the cars out for us to enjoy and they did so as soon as the last Licensees gave the them the Green Light, you're right they couldn't of done anything before that as they wouldn't of been able to tell us what the cars were in the first place.

What S397 could've done was say "OK we have the Green Light, whilst we work on final Testing here's the Templates, you've got 2 weeks to make some skins for the Packs but we will have some Official Ones coming soon" - But that way A) People would moan about paying for a Pack with Community made skins and B) The usual mob would moan about "a 2 week delay" so they were on a hiding to nothing with that.

We have to remember that hindsight is a wonderful thing and us forum dwellers all know better (!), so the question is have S397 made a fatal mistake with the lack of Skins? Not for me no, the cars themselves speak volumes and eventually those official skins will come along to bolster the Pack even though it is currently frustrating.
    Would I of released the Pack differently? Yes, I would've waited until all the Official Skins were complete then released the pack in a more complete state whilst all the time not committing to any specific release schedule (like what S397 did). But it's not my company, it's not yours either, S397 chose to do it this way and all that matters is we have to accept that and just get on and race quite simply :) But in closing as I've said elsewhere, S397 do read our feedback, they do take it on board but it's up to them if they chose to release the next Pack differently, time will tell, in the mean time enjoy the GT3 Pack as it is actually a blast!

vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@liakjim We ask questions because your hardware may provide a clue as to what's going on. If you're so sure about what's not the problem, why are you even asking?

Lgel and Rui Santos like this.
  20. liakjim

liakjim Registered

Ok , now that you know my "really extraordinary" system , any more ideas?
    But I know, rf2 cannot be blamed...