Best "F1 2017" mod at present?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by BobDobbs, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

In my opinion - If you don't have actual F1 car models, then it isn't an F1 mod. And ASR is the only mod I've seen which has actual real car models, even if they may be stolen.

Getting a generic 3D Model inspired by an F1 car and putting liveries on it doesn't make it an F1 mod, which is what 90% of people have done.

HJK was the one I was looking forward to but his harddrive crashed and he had no backups, so all that hard work modelling was gone like that. I doubt he's going to redo everything.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The ACFL mod they're talking about is the source ASR used. It seems ASR themselves abandoned their ripped models and overall mod, which must speak to the overall quality of what they (ASR) did. The ACFL mod has just been officially released for rF2 via partnership with Apex, and I believe with 4K textures.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
  3. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Aside from the numerous pages not related to the question in hand (most of which I didn't read), here's what I will do today.

I have all DLC for Assetto Corsa, which includes numerous F1 cars, and I have about 10 addon F1 cars, all Free: the 1988, 1991, 2004, 2009, 2015 (VRC), and the glorious F1 2002. I have verified that all of them are, at least to what my eyes can see in comparison videos, extremely accurate to the real life cars when both pilots do the same line, speed, and so on.

Considering that I know the handling of these cars in AC very well in various tracks, I will test the "OW 2016 NA v.1.7", the "F1_ASR_2017_v1.3", and the "OW_Formula_2017 v.0.96", this last I believe to be the best of them so far after seeing a few comparison videos with real life.

I already tested the "Formula F1Fanatic 2017"; it was actually quite nice to drive and I hope the developers continue their good work, though there is something off with the handling IMO, I don't know if the FFB was a bit weak or if the setup is just a bit different from what I use to drive in Assetto Corsa with the default setups. Could be both :p Specially since the numbers in the setups are all so different between these two simulators.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

So......you have all AC F1 cars but only one modern day turbo and you are going to test rF2 mods.
    The rF2 mod that drives the most like AC, is the best.......because AC is the standard?

It has been a long time since someone who just came in here, started to tell or insinuate that AC (or others for that matter) is better/the bar/name it.

5. Amanda Santini

I have the VRC 2015, the Ferrari 2015, and I've also tested the 2017 Hybrid. So not only one, but three different cars made from 3 different teams, one is from Kunos.

I stated that I own many F1 cars for AC and I will test a few for rF2 today to see how they feel/drive and to give my subjective opinion to which I find the "best" (not only in terms of feel, but actual behavior) according to what I'm used to seeing/driving. I do, however, expect most to feel different from AC's because that's how it feels with all cars I tested on rFactor 2; that is not to say they felt worse, it's quite the contrary, they feel better than ever.

And if someone does it.....? At least I know I wouldn't mind, everybody has a right to an opinion.

And I'm not here to tell which simulator is "better". All have their own pro's and con's, none offer everything, and all opinions are just that: opinions.
    There are a lot of areas in which I find Assetto Corsa better than rFactor 2, and there are a lot of areas that I find rFactor 2 better than Assetto Corsa. The same way with all racing simulators I own, like Copa Petrobras de Marcas, Race07 and all it's addons, GTR2, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa. All have flaws, all have qualitites. And whichever someone finds to be the "best" really doesn't matter to me; if it did, I'd have to start asking myself how strong are my convictions and if they're mine to begin with.

Cote Dazur, doberk, Filip and 3 others like this.
  6. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

A self-proclaimed official Assetto Corsa tester (a game which sucks terribly regarding physics) will bestow upon this forum his holiest subjective opinion.

*Grabs popcorn and waits for the show.

Navigator likes this.
  7. rubennaatje

rubennaatje Registered

Can we just discuss f1 2017 mods here, there's enough places to discuss assetto corsa vs rfactor 2.

SPASKIS, ceecee and Amanda Santini like this.
  8. Amanda Santini

Here's my findings of the 3 cars I tested.

All were tested with their default setups, and all in the same track conditions: the default conditions found right after opening rF2 for the first time.

----------------------------------------------------

OW 2016 v1.7 (Link)

The car feels really nice, but different from AC as expected.

It's good to have the real names of the drivers, it gives a sense of immersion.

There's not nearly enough understeer if compared to the 2015 model from VRC, but I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. I assume it's a good thing because on AC I can only do the double left hander at 220 Km/h while the real car can do at 260, the same speed as this mod on rF2.
    On AC I can really feel the wheel get lighter and the grip going away, but I don't think I've pushed this car to it's limit yet on rF2. The limit of this car seems much wider, and I could do 1:48 on SPA (laser scanned) without even touching DRS, while on the VRC for Assetto Corsa I rarely go bellow 1:49 with DRS enabled.

I intentionally hit Verstappen in the rear at the first turn in a speed which, in real life, would have broken my front wing; but it was still there as if the developer didn't make a damage model for it, I had the same grip as before; which is kind of a shame considering rFactor 2's damage model is really good.

Soundwise, it's average. It seems that in ISIMotor games the sound engineer has to do a really good job, otherwise you can hear when the different files overlap each other, feeling almost like it's a completely different sound from when you go from a lower RPM to a higher RPM, so it's not seamless. This reminds me of old mods for Race07 and GTR2.
    Not only that, but when I'm braking I can kind of hear as if the car is changing gears by itself, even though it's not, which to me sounds like an echo of when I change gears to lower ones.

Texture wise, it's not really that good. I have the textures config to max, but it still it doesn't look good.

I then enabled DRS, which gave me a 1:46:8 lap, a feat I could only do with the glorious F1 2002 on Assetto Corsa. This seems way more in line with real life than the VRC 2015 for Assetto Corsa. Someone with more experience could tell me if these lap times are correct. I did check the qualifying lap for SPA on 2016, and it was a 1:46:7, which leads me to believe this mod isn't far off and probably has a very good default setup.

On the "Garage" side of things, I didn't change a single setting.

Powerwise, it feels I have instant power, something which doesn't reflect what happens in Assetto Corsa; there, there is definitely a little turbo lag, meaning I have to press the gas pedal way further to have the same power as I do while driving this mod.
    After checking a Hamilton lap on the 2016 Belgium GP, I did notice his throttle is kind of in a middle ground between rF2 and AC when it comes to corner exit: not so little as in rF2, but not so much as in AC.

I guess the car is too powerful at times. I was able to go at almost the same speed, without DRS, as a car driving by my side with DRS.

The AI at 100% was a little boring, they were doing high 1:48's, pretty much 2 seconds above me.

I believe the default setup is very well balanced, offering good grip while having good top speed in straights.

F1 ASR 2017 v1.3 (Link removed as it's a rip of other modders without permission)

What started out bad in terms of handling and lap times, worked out good at the end. At the first laps, this car was sliding at Eau Rouge, even when the tyres were warm. This doesn't happen in any other car. However, after doing a few laps and getting used to the way this car handles, I was able to achieve 1:46:1; do Eau Rouge without sliding; do turn 7 at 210-215 Km/h in comparison with 190-200 with the 2016 car; do turn 9 at 180-185 Km/h while I tend to do it at 165-175 Km/h in the 2016 car, and I was easily able to do the double left hand corner at 270 Km/h, while in the 2016 car I was able to do it at 260 Km/h. This, however, caused my tyres to heat up to 150 degrees C which I assume would make them last very few laps while in a race. For quali it's OK.

The brakes seem way too powerful, I was scared to brake at full power after long straights because the time it takes to lock the wheels is way too short.

Soundwise, it's on the same situation as the 2016 car. If you happen to have a wheel that double shifts sometimes, you'll certainly be confused as to what is happening once you start downshifting.

On the texture side of things, this is actually really good. Textures are clear, and the tyre textures have bump mapping and reflections on the sides, making them look like they're brand new. It's trully beautiful to look at them.
    I did, however, experience a bug. When doing that really fast left hander, the shadow flickers for a few seconds.

While offering a good setup to start with and a good level of grip, this car is slow at straights, which I believe is the main reason my lap times aren't bellow the 1:46 mark.

OW F1 2017 (Link)

NOTE: The link for this car was taken from this very same thread, I believe the user who posted them is one of the developers.

1:44:52, that's the lap time I could achieve after just under 6 laps with this car. The default setup is, to me, the best of all 3 cars tested. Very good speed at straights, and better grip on turns if compared to the ASR car, achieving 275 Km/h easily at the double left hander, 215 on turn 7, and almost 290 at turn 9.

Sound wise, it's the worse of all 3. When you lift the throttle, the engine produces two sounds, one is correct and the other isn't. The incorrect sound, the one which is at the higher volume, is (e.g.) like if the engine is at 8000 RPM, when the real sound (the one you can notice right after pressing the gas pedal slightly) is correct e.g. 5000 RPM.

The tyre is almost at the same level of detail as the one found in the ASR car.

The overall texturing of the vehicle is good.

In my opinion, the best of these 3 cars would be the OW2017 car with another sound bank, probably from the F1Fanatic car. The best handling, texturing is good, seems well balanced; all left is a better sound.

Unfortunately I don't have a preference over these 3 cars as all of them have good and bad qualities. I will find myself driving them all at the same rate for now, as I find all of them good enough to enjoy driving and not be bothered with what I find bad about them.

I suggest anyone reading this to test them all and to state to the developers what you think should change; this is the way a good product is developed, a product driven not only by the developers, but with the strong assist of the community.

Happy driving!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Cote Dazur, doberk, NandoRock and 2 others like this.
  9. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Can you please provide the URL's for the location of the mod's you have tested / driven?
    Either the URL's of the steam workshop page or the page that hosts the content if it's outside of steam.
    I just think it's good for clarity and makes it easy for others to know exactly what you're referring to and where it can be obtained from.

What was your subjective opinion of what was wrong with that mod?
    I'm just curious. It doesn't bother me in the least.
    Also can you please state what steering wheel or controller you are using?

Thanks...

10. Amanda Santini

Yes, absolutely! I will edit the post in a few monites and include the links. Unfortunately, though, I think some links are directly from mediafire as I actually rushed to download them. But nevertheless there will be links for all of them.

To me it felt like the forces and detail on the FFB were weak, but I tested that car in Montreal which isn't laser scanned. I will test it again on SPA to see if there's any difference.

Sure. It's a G27.

11. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Thanks - appreciated.
    I'm pretty sure I tested the ASR F1 2017 mod myself & I hated it. I think it was the default handling and car setup seemed pretty poor to me. i.e. too much effort compared to some other cars to get it to a setup that I felt I could comfortably drive with.

Curious on your FFB. I'll have another go with those cars tonight out of curiosity and will check out the other 2 mod's you've listed. My hardware is listed on my profile page, but I use a G29 - so the FFB feel should be pretty close to your G27.

I might be able to add another 2017 F1 mod or 2 to this list too.
    There's the Sim Racing Hub mod: http://www.simracinghub.com/rfactor-2/rf2-cars/2188-srhf1-2017

...and I think I might have another one too that's not listed.
    I am not making any suggestions on their quality though, as I'm sure I ended up preferring the F1 Fanatic mod's handling and feel. But if you are wanting to test all the 2017 F1 mod's, you may as well test them all and I'm personally curious what people think are the best 2017 cars (you and other people too).
    I'll have a look when I get home later tonight (probably in about 8 hours) and put any other links on this thread, as it's nice to have it all in one location.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  12. Amanda Santini

@muz_j I can confirm that the FFB is way too weak for me. Right at the pit exit at spa, all cars I've driven experience the bumps/humps very noticeably, juggling my wheel left and right. Not with this car, though.

Also, the default setup is either not well done, or there's something slowing this car down. I firmly believe it doesn't have as much power as the other F1 cars I tested. It's really slow for me.

And the loading times are also pretty high IMO.

EDIT: I'll check the mod you linked :D

muz_j likes this.
  13. muz_j

muz_j Registered

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hmm, a non asked for "I am going to tell you all what is good and what is not because I own AC and thus know it all" posting........silently posting not one, but TWO links for the ASR mod which was strictly forbidden(!!)
    Can't help muself but thinking this whole "come here cold and new, start to test for all of us" served some purpose?!
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/regarding-the-asr-2017-mod.56084/

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

There is ongoing riping of content by level you can just imagine and it is done by highly respected moders and forum members and it is all going on hidden behind the scenes but are available to download publicly.
    You can always ask if it served some purpose to get BlackGoku banned and perhaps friendly PM served better purpose better than how it was done here in forums.

Still celebrating the victory ?

Guimengo and Amanda Santini like this.
  16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ha! The guy who accused ME of following HIM!
    No comments to you; done with your pathetic behaviour.

kimbo likes this.
  17. Amanda Santini

I didn't know the ASR was a rip. I'm removing the link now.

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

No comments but you make a comment.:D

Ho3n3r, tafkams and Amanda Santini like this.
  19. Amanda Santini

You arrogance really amuses me.

OP asked what is the best F1 mod. As I didn't test any F1 car in rF2 prior to my post and I was actually interested to know what is the best mod in people's opinions, and there were numerous pages of you arguing with other people (which seems to be common), I decided to test a few mods myself and report back instead of reading all the posts not related to OP's question. To me that's way better than the nonsense consisted of several off-topic pages in this thread.

And no, I didn't say "I know it all" and I'd never say so. The only reason I stated I own and drive several F1 cars in Assetto Corsa was exactly to point out what the differences would be, and to point out that I do have some background in this category. So not only you're immature and come off as passive-aggressive looking for a "keyboard war" (which I assume is you trying to compensate for something, trying to look like "the mayor" here, kinda like when monkeys beat their chests looking for a fight or trying to come off as brave or "alpha males"), but you distort or put words into people's mouths. A classic. Now I understand why so many people have you on their ignore list.
    I wonder why this sort of behavior is allowed in many forums; not only it makes people like you come off as complete assholes, but the company behind the forums also get their image affected as to why they allow people like you to freely exist in their controlled space.

Anyway. Any post from now on directed to me, not regarding OP's original question or not maturely having a conversation about what I think regarding the cars (and pointing e.g. what I may have gotten wrong about them) will be completely ignored.

20. Amanda Santini

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.