Damage in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, May 9, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm interested to hear if there are plans to improve the damage model in rFactor 2?
    What are ISI's plans as of now regarding damage?

Will more parts be detachable?
    Will there at some point be implemented vertex deformation of the chassis?

2. jjcook

jjcook Registered

- why?, do you crash alot and then watch replays of it? i hope you dont think much improvement is needed(there are other more important features that need attention imo )

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

What a pleasant answer. :rolleyes:
    Quick and easy to judge, isn't it?

To answer your question: no, in fact I am a sim racer. Surprise.
    And a very serious one at that. Yet another surprise.
    Plus I rarely crash, a lot less than most actually. Triple surprise.

Why do you hope I think anything? I do think damage improvement is needed.
    Is damage on the top of my list? No of course not.

Now that I think of, that has got to be one of the most useless and judgmental replies I've seen in a while.
    I asked a genuine question because I'm curious about what improvements lie ahead in rF2's development.

If you don't have anything to add, just leave this thread and never look back. Run Forest, run!
    Would you kindly..? :)

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Actually visual damage is important in longer races. I like to know how messed up a car I'm racing against is because it lets me know what- if any advantage I have when racing someone close. Damage needs to be a high priority. Not to mention damage physics. If you drive like a mad man like so many do, the damage model should reflect that. Passing is hard.

5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Nice.

In fact I would like to see a lot of improvement in this particular area. There's a need for this in order to get the attention of a broader audience!
    Spectacular crashes always draw the eye of the masses! (Is that actually an English sentence?) Even if they can't drive for ****, they're gonna want this!
    And I want this too! I'm thinking crashes with massive amounts of chunks flying around, depending on the physical variables in slow motion in videos.

Do this quick ISI and you'll all get richer than ever! Promise! Guaranteed!

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes

None at this time or very immediate future

More parts can be than are already. Whether/when they'll actually do so, don't know

Can't say for sure

Sent using Tapatalk

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Exactly my thoughts! I really miss the crumples/scrapes of rF1 as a damage indicator for the fendered cars.

8. Radon711

Radon711 Registered

This is one of the things that keep me coming back to iRacing. Especially the wheel-to-wheel touches which results the car into a up-ward launch, flip and plummet - Never been dealt a harder lesson to protect the car than this consequence.

Anyone remember Grand Prix 4? The cars came down to the safety pod.

9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Hmm, first you start with "Yes", and you end with "Can't say for sure?". So, I'm a little confused now...:confused:

...and that was how long ago?

You know you can't neglect this tiny detail, ISI. Unless, you're not in it for wealth. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I answered each individual question as a single question. Giving a single answer for each.

11. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks for the clarification.

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The detachable parts thing is more up to the modders. The more parts that can be knocked, the more complex and FPS heavy a mod becomes.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thank you for clarifying, Tim. :)
    OT: BTW watched your latest league race, the BTCC at Croft. Loved the voice over stuff and head cam. Hope to see/hear more of this! :)

Back to topic: I really think a proper damage model is important, as someone pointed out, because it really gives you an extra incentive to avoid all contact.

In iRacing you know your screwed if almost any contact is made. If you go into a wall... well, by the sheer ferocity and violence of the crash, you won't make that mistake twice.
    Here, I actually caught my myself in looking away from the screen one time, on MoSport when I got a wheel on the grass before turn 2, and headed straight for the concrete. :D

I had the same feeling in F1 Challenge 99-02, where wheel to wheel contact actually made the car airborne. Vertex deformation made sure that no two wrecks ever looked the same, which made it very authentic.
    For me, a bit of vertex deformation in rF2 would actually be enough.

It has a psychological effect, on me at least. It makes for way more immersion, knowing that if I go off, it will be bad.
    I really learn to drive within my own limits in sims with such damage models. In rF2 I often find myself going beyond my own limits, because I know if I go off, it'll just be "pfftt" (except with historic formula cars, crashes are so nasty!)

14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Why not collaborate with the BeamNG guys? This would be a WIN-WIN-WIN situation. They get real tyre physics, ISI gets real damage physics, the user gets the most immersive experience, ever in a sim today.

15. Nelson

Nelson Registered

It would be nice if the contact physics could be altered so that open-wheelers don't get stuck / glued to each other after wheel-to-wheel contact is made. Feels like a penalty in its current state...

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You do know it's not just a case of copy and paste from one game to another right?

17. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I'm not a coder. I would do this: copy damage code, put it in rfactor.exe and voila! :cool:

18. Comante

Comante Registered

Crash is an important part of the simulation to me, even if it's one of those events that you want to avoid, well, it will happen anyway. Now being the car an indeformable body, odd things occur when the car flip and roll, but the most important thing to me, would be to see suspension fail when you jump too hard on curbs, or even just take some damage when the impact is too hard. This would consistently change driving even if you don't crash, increasing immersion and realism. Having a spring or a damper fail or the suspension arm bend, messing all the tire angles, would be very amazing.

19. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Exactly! Imagine, you're on a flying lap going with the fastest possible velocity and...one of your front tyres says "bye bye" just after the apex.
    Should it look like this?

or does anybody prefer this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  20. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Damage is just as important as mechanical wear and tear.

Picture a full distance F1 race at Monaco. You'll need to look after your tyres, engine, brakes. But it loses a lot of immersion and realism if you can scrape or hit a wall every second lap without incurring any damage.

I know I drive very differently at a track like Monaco where I give a bit more respect to the track limits than I do at say Sepang. With a good damage model, that would be amplified.