CSW or T500RS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Huh? You be jet lagging. :)

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Lol

Bed time

3. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

I don't mean to hijack the thread, just have a simple question that seems better suited to this thread than a new one.

I'm currently using an old Driving Force Pro from the PS2/Gran Turismo 4 era. It still holds up perfectly fine, and hasn't yet caused me any troubles driving or otherwise. However, I think it's time I upgrade to get more serious about rF2.

So, I found a Logitech G27, brand new, for a seemingly great price at 250. In everyone's opinion, would it be worth the upgrade to the G27 for that price compared to my DFP now, or would it be a better upgrade for price later (much later) down the road to save up the 600 for a T500? Basically, is the G27 that much more of an upgrade to the DFP in terms of strength, FFB, pedals, added clutch, etc? Or is it such a small upgrade that I'd not be getting a huge difference, and would be better off with a T500 later on?

4. DBell84

DBell84 Registered

I currently own a T500 and I've previously owned a G25 and DFP. In my experience, I found the G25 a clear step up from the DFP and was worth the extra price for the quality of game play it delivered. However, when I bought my T500 to replace the G25, I found it an even bigger step up than I had found the G25 from DFP. If I were in your position, and I knew what I know now from my own experience, I would wait until I had saved for the T500 and bypass the G27. My own 2 pennies.

5. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Thanks for your opinion, that's super helpful. I'm guessing the difference between G25 and G27 is just a small step up, so good comparison. The fact that you considered the G25 a significant upgrade to DFP is interesting, and with the seemingly good price of the G27, gives me a lot to think about. Thanks again.

6. DBell84

DBell84 Registered

@ NWDogg;

Your welcome. The difference between the G25 and the G27 is more buttons and changes to the H-Shifter for the G27, otherwise they are pretty much the same wheel. I've seen some others say the motors are smoother and quieter in the G27.

7. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Does the T500 have the USB plug coming directly from the wheel or do the pedals have the connector?
    I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to keep my V1 Clubsports. I don't care to have to set the 500 pedals off to the side somewhere.
    Three weeks ago I sold my G25 and planned to use the older standby Momo Force for a bit.
    On plugging them in the computer started the stop to stop calibration and whamo!!!....wheel shaft snapped off completely.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I use csp v2's. T500 pedals still in the box.

9. DBell84

DBell84 Registered

Like DrR1pper said, you can use whatever pedals you want with T500 for PC, T500 pedals don't need to be connected. USB comes from the wheel.

Your story is similar to mine as I have an old Momo I use as emergency backup. When my G25 burned out one of it's motors, I had to pull out the Momo until I could replace it. Lucky for me, I didn't have happen what happened to you! That must have been a shock.

10. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

I have the T500 and using the Fanatec V2 pedals and I am more then happy with that combination.

I was thinking to buy the fanatec wheel but reading the experience of customers in different threads , I decided to go for the T500.

No issues so far

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

In my opinion, both CSW/CSR-E and T500RS are very good wheels (don't compare to SimWheel etc). Both have some pros and cons though and it's up to one's personal taste and expectations, which one to go after. Also, price might be important as well.

Both are made very well. T500RS is more plastic but it's good quality and what's underneeth the outer casing, won't break (mine is still rock solid). CSW is made from thick aluminium so mechanically, it definatelly won't fail. CSW comes with more functional wheels and closer to real life racing rims. That beeing said, T500's rim is not bad at all. Lots of buttons, very good quality but still it's not THAT good overall.
    T500RS has more powerful motor. By default, it comes set to 60% overall FF strenght as that's the upper limit for almost perfectly linear FF characteristics. When you set it to 100%, stronger forces are not that linear but you have much, much more punch. But even at default 60%, it can handle aftermarket rims with ease (I use OMP Supertourismo 320mm rim on a daily basis), throwing them lock to lock very fast.
    CSW, on the other hand, is fine with F1 rim but with bigger and heavier GT rim you feel it's not that strong and fast. That's, where Fanatec's product lacks the most compared to T500RS (and the reason I ultimatelly stayed with Thrustmaster).
    Thrustmaster uses teeth belts. There is no slip but some "notchiness" can be felt because of that (although some say, in newer revision feels smoother than older revisions). In my opinion, it's not a game breaker but the fact is, it's not as smooth, as Fanatec - those use V-belts so they are butter smooth... but V-belts means, some slippage occurs - that's also another reason, why those wheels won't generate as much momentary punch as T500.

12. datanode

datanode Registered

600 / 250 er :-(

In the uk the price difference whatever currency you mention is not that steep.

£250 for g27 vs £339 for t500rs

Going straight for a t500rs is good advice. I have also had no problems with fanatec or their support.

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

My csr elite wheel never slipped. I use to set the wheel at the maximum lock and look what position the belt was in (has writing on it so easy to tell) and periodically check now and again. With rf2 ffb set to avoid clipping, the belt always remained in the same position (I.e. no slip). Perhaps not enough torque with the ffb not cranked up ingame but that's besides the point.

My t500 is notchy only when not ingame. Once I'm in game and the ffb is doing its job, I either don't feel/notice the notchiness or there isn't any. Sorry, can't test to confirm, 6000 miles away from my t500.

Even before the steering torque minimum was introduced, I found the csr elite to feel so loose compared to the t500. As if the t500 had more resistance but not in a negative way at all, quite the opposite in fact. Somehow driving cars just felt stable on the t500 right off the bat. Less guess work as the ffb never felt loose around corners which I cannot say the same for the csr elite.

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Who are you getting the t500 from? Dabs.com?

You want to ensure you get the latest version which has gt6 stamped all over the box.

Lastly, yes it's crazy the price of the g27 vs t500 in the uk. My first reaction after getting the t500 was that it should have costed more like £700. It's an absolute steal in the uk.

Something's not right with Logitech prices recently. As a point, I bought my g25 in 2009 for £120 and I sold it 1-2 months ago for £185 on eBay. Makes no ****ing sense but I'm not complaining. :p

15. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

i am in the same position as NWDogg, i have a DFGT gran turismo wheel

at risk of being labelled as a brand whore, i am looking a the fanatec CSR Forza wheel as an upgrade to this. i realise it may not be a huge upgrade, but budgets are tight and my DGFT is starting to wear out.

what are people's thoughts on this as an upgrade option, and does anyone have any alternatives for under £200? i use V1 clubsport pedals so its purely a wheel im after.

16. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Buy T500 for £294 from here: http://www.alternate.co.uk/Thrustmaster/T500-RS-GT/html/product/790604? They're based in Germany, quick delivery, good to deal with.

Then sell the pedals on ebay(or Gumtree). This listing is @ £77 with over 4 days left, see where it ends up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thrustmaster-T500-RS-Pedals-/181375819752?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item2a3ad75fe8

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
  17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh nice price and you can clearly see that it's a gt6 version (the lastest version which has slighty better cooling and slightly better mechanical tolerances, etc) in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
  18. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

+1 on that request please. I'd love to see how you did that prodigy. There's nothing more inspiring that seeing the ingenuity of others :)

jr

19. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

G27 and presumably any low power wheel will struggle with rf2 especially and might well be the cause of my problems in AC.
    G27 is old tech, no longer viable for the latest games{works fine on older games/sims}.....but T500 has no load cell and T500 original wheel is useless for open wheeler.

20. RJames

RJames Registered

Utter rubbish, however the wheels can wear out and loose good FFB feeling.

I'm still running a G25 wheel of which I bought at first release and it certainly does not struggle with rF2 or AC or iRacing. I guess really you should define "Struggle". I run my wheel with a fairly realistic amount of FFB e.g. its not trying to rip my arms off at every corner and it gives me good accurate FFB feelings.

The logitech G series wheels are some of the best, longest serving wheels on the market and especially at their price point. Sure a belt driven wheel may provide a different feeling, it does not take away that the G25/27 is a good solid wheel for anyone to run in simracing today and for the foreseeable future.

It would however be nice if a new Logitech come to market, offering replaceable wheels, loadcell pedals etc to offer more than the G27 offers currently.