Tired of ugly tracks in a 2014 game

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Nuno Lourenço, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Hello guys. As you said well I won't create a specific topic to that here. As long as I back here (Zandvoort) I will put changes in my website. Right now I'm in a middle of a learnig process with Milagres Kart Track but zandvoort its not finished yet as I told you and the passes that Steve point will be revised for sure ;)

I always try to do my best and outdo myself so you can expect even better quality ;)

2. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Love the work you did on my original creation, I developed the Zandvoort for Simraceway few years ago..
    Only problem i have with it, you never asked any permission to edit and distribute this material.
    Not to me or Ignite GT/Simraceway who is the only legal owner of the work.

3. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Nope he ain't.. and he won't...

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe you (Richard & Nuno) could solve this problem via PM. I guess, there is something like missunderstanding or other confusions around ;)

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

+1

6. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

There are no confusions at all..
    All rights to the Zandvoord content belong to IgniteGT.
    Their Simraceway game is still active & running.
    So basically it's illegal content that is being redistributed by Nuno.
    Regardless of the nice texture updates.

BTW, The original version of Zandvoort that sits on my harddrive has 4x to 6x times sharper textures as featured in the final game ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Screenshot or it didn't happen :)

8. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

[​IMG]

Will advice Nuna to make his own scratchbuild tracks...
    We would see the result in a year or so.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Interesting ^^ Why is this so ? Is to hard for the engine ?

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Certainly wouldn't be allowed to post it here.

11. 88mphTim

Depends. We did the same thing with the first Lime Rock release. We were a 32bit application and higher textures, etc, were a bit much to ask. You'll remember the out of memory issues came in with Silverstone, which wasn't optimized as much? That's the thing I think a lot of people don't realize when they scream about "optimization!!!11" (1's were intentional) - it has an effect.

12. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Exactly

I believe that in this case that was not the problem... Textures are very simple and small sized, they just look "good" because the color palette was well achieved...

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Lot of SS textures has been reduced in size as it happens with almost all tracks at the end of the optimization process and no, they're not "very simple" sorry. :)

We usually start our local workflow using 4K textures and at the time the track is finished and ready to be tested, we start optimizing sizes, quantity and atlassing.

14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I was talking about zandvoort Tuttle... I work exact same way. I start with bigger size I can, and then start to optimize them in the end of process.

15. Tuttle

Ah ok, thought you were talking about the subject inside the Tim quote. n/m :)

16. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Indeed all the textures where scaled down factor 2 or even 3 in the optimization process.
    From the drivers perspective it has to look crisp, why have more vertexes or pixels for just some awesome closeup screenshot while you could have saved more power for more objects or better looking cars.
    Especially if you have to deal with the trusty old gMotor 2 engine and many low-medium spec systems.
    But on my test rig the version with 4096x4096 texures was actually performing quite good (triple screens on 1 oc'd i7 2600k @ 4.3ghz + GTX670), thanks to good mipmapping & precise LOD parameters.

To come back to the "borrowed" content roots of this Zandvoort.
    It is for 100% sure the Simraceway version as still in use at their service as we speak.
    Except for some tropical trees added and obviously do not belong to the local dune flora.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  17. Tuttle

Yeah, that's exactly how it works most of the time and it's also true there are games going to push on cars and less on tracks or viceversa. We're trying to play in the middle but the rule it's the same for everyone when working with final optimization.

As for Zandvoort would be very nice if you can just communicate with Nuno and then find a solution, if there is any.

Thanks for your time.

18. 88mphTim

Ending discussion of Zandvoort, I hope, you can continue to discuss ugliness. ;)

19. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

There are tons of much uglier legal tracks that could use a much needed upgrade...

20. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hahah...yeah, most people seem to expect that using 4K textures means it's going to be sharper, right? Nope. Not unless you're actually running at 4K resolution, and/or the texture is filling the entire screen, or you don't have any mip-maps. The hardware just doesn't work that way. It will try pick a mip level that matches the display resolution. Unless you crank on the negative bias, of course. However, you then will run into all sorts of crazy aliasing issues on higher-frequency textures. Grass and track surface will also almost never use the highest resolution mip, due to the low angle that the player's viewpoint is at the vast majority of the time, and the fact that there's usually a cockpit blocking the portion of the road/grass that's closest to your viewpoint. About the only thing that 4K textures serve is to bloat VRAM, and 'maybe' make some pretty marketing screen-shots.

Put the effort into better use of specular and normal maps. Color maps for most modern shaders can actually be quite mundane with proper use of Spec and Normals, and will make the actual gameplay look that much better to boot.