Tired of ugly tracks in a 2014 game

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Nuno Lourenço, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I know almost you all will blame me for that i'm tired of poor conversions that what really matters is having a peace of track to race... Why???? Do you really enjoy racing in a track that look worst than even rfactor 1 track?

There's only a few guys that are giving his best to bring rFactor 2 to an acceptable level but all the rest it conversions that made this SIM look completely outdated. and not funny to drive.

My first track (Estoril 2010) done some years ago with BTB look even better than mostpply of track that i've been seen here. It don't have to be that way, thing evolved and we must have some proud in what we do.

I started from nothing, learn some photoshop techniques from ground zero in youtube.... REALLY??? youtube helps! Learn some 3ds max techniques from zero too and I'm not yet very familiar with extense moddeling capabilities but i'm trying to learn just to improve myself and bring in the future quality content to Simracing.

I started with conversions too for my personal use but i used that to learn and evolve and do something so simple like 2 "textures" that look terrivel to achive good results sometimes but when we get there...... Its an indescribable feeling...

Gravel - More than 12 hours to achive that result
    [​IMG]

Tree
    [​IMG]

Grass - More than 15 hours to get something that it snot perfect but its already fine inn my POV
    [​IMG]

I'll share those textures to who want to improve if you like it too.

http://simracing.endless-resources.org/downloads/Nuno/Share_center/grass_bumpmap.T1.Mul.T2.rar
    http://simracing.endless-resources.org/downloads/Nuno/Share_center/Gravel.bumpmap.T1.Mul.T2.rar

In ISI side i really though that something must be done to incentivate some other kind of work or we will have a "crapy" rfactor 2 just because the wuality of contents its even worst than rf1....

Just a last note. The textures are legal. Some were worked by me, other, buyed, and hopefully for me that my girlfriend its architect so......

Please look to this post in a way of incentive. Join groups, learn with each others, and give rF2 what he deserves :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree that higher quality would be appreciated. However I am not spending 15 hours for just one texture. I am not a professional modder and this a hobby. If these are the requirements for future modding. I bet that it will be the end of free modding

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. BlkJello

BlkJello Registered

I also appreciate higher quality looks... but rather than complaining about other "poor conversions", why dont you show some of your personal techniques so other modders can employ them to improve there current maps. I think you come off alittle "Hard". Personally i would rather have a bunch of mediocre looking maps that are functional than just a few gorgeous ones. Thats just me though.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Good on you Nuno for sharing some info and textures!!

5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Good work, Nuno. :)

I know from personal experience that learning from zero need lots of time, dedication and motivation. Experience does not come for free, but when you learn something new its rewarding.

I shun conversions two main reasons. Track's geometry from older platforms are simply not suitable for rF2. Geometry needs major overhaul to meet rF2 requirements. Many times it's faster and easier start modelling from scratch and *maybe* use old model as a reference material, but nothing more.

Second reason is textures and materials. Older platforms (like rF1) "rules" do not apply anymore with new game engine. You just cannot slap copy of photograph on polygon and expect it to look good and realistic. Many conversions are unfortunately made this way.

Materials and textures needs to be worked different way nowdays. For example, HDR has major role eyecandy in rF2 and this functionality needs different approach. If we take grass material as an example, you need to edit out all photographic lightning from diffuse texture. Basically it should look like grass in shade (or in shadow). Spec-, normal- and multiply maps will bring it alive under HDR. This was someting what we never need to care about with rF1 and this is one reason why quick-and-dirty conversions do not look so good. To be honest, not all conversions are bad, but unfortunately many are. Recently released Bahrain is good example of good conversion and I can imagine it took hundreds of hours to make.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

shame there isn't a central database of top quality textures , track surfaces
    -even different types of laser scanned sections that can be used for any new track or just good quality made surfaces
    this would help rf2 tracks be a little more consistent I'm quality etc

7. blakboks

blakboks Registered

You mean something like this? http://www.surfacemimic.com/gallery/

Hope you got your wallet ready... :D

Also, their terms of use would prohibit their textures being used in a mod, since they can freely be extracted and used (unless you encrypt the .mas, of course).

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

no something that's free, & maybe from ISI + a range of selected (by ISI & with permission ) modders

9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

But you have! Just exctract some ISI track MAS files and use them directly or as an reference for your own. ISI has stated many times that their textures can be used freely for non-commercial projects.

Cheers!

10. Domi

Domi Registered

I also don't get why modders are so damn lazy, I am a total noob as well with track editing but I also managed to improve a lot some ****ty conversions by adjusting the textures (using ISI material). Once you know how does it work, it doesn't take so much time to put some proper textures...

Here I wouldn't blame ISI, track editing is basically like in rF1 and there is enough documentation of what is different in rF2 (realroad etc), plus Luc and Tuttle are often helping in the forums.

11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Jka is right. In my Lienz conversion I change almost all maps in photoshop.
    For example grass with rocks I use the same maps from rf1 but need to add alpha mask and the new grass.
    For me setup GmotorMaterials (Shaders) to get a realistic look is the most difficult. It depends on many variables the Maps need to get the right tonality, color and brightness to get a good result when apply blend operation (Multiply,Additive). Set the Fresnel Specular and Fresnel reflect to get a good light reaction.

12. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

New testes to blend grass and gravel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simply with this

http://simracing.endless-resources.org/downloads/Nuno/Share_center/Grassblend1_white.rar

Using Mul T1 Mul T2 Mul T3

T1 uses white texture with alpha that masks the original grass texture
    T2 uses original grass texture in channel 1
    T3 uses the "satelite" image in channel 2 as the normal grass

Not sure if its the correct way but gives a good look from my POV.

A couple more hours experimenting an testing.... Learning.....

13. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

? using Mul T1 Mul T2 Mul T3 ??

You try gravel shader and grass shader?

14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Not yet Mario

15. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

try the maps i send by skype...

16. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Looks very good for a rFactor1 shaders.. next step try the new shaders of rFactor2

17. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The gravel is stretched in U coordinate. try apply UVW Xform and change tile value to 0.5 or 0.75

18. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I a test with your textures but with rf2 shaders.
    View attachment 12082

I add bump map to get a better light

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  19. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I updated gravel with sandtraps shader,

personally i prefer this type of ambient,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yours its too yellow.

All this takes hge amonth of time but after see the results it woths every second :)

20. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I use grassblend for gravel..! :) why? because can paint with vertex alpha to get a two diffuse maps. One normal furrows and other with some tire tracks.
    The gravel shader is good for curbs,walls and some objects. (bump, specular map T1xt2)
    To change the color change multiply map and Specular. Try use my bump to get the a better light for furrows.

"A better effect could be merge both bumps maps..."
    EDIT: bad idea different UV channels...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014