ISI can you tell me why mirrors cost 40 fps?!(video inside)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

:mad::mad:
    FPS with mirrors 58-62
    FPS without mirrors 99-102!

2. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Why is the sky blue?

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'm guessing because the game is having to render things infront as well as behind the car, all in realtime. Maybe.

As for the OP's question, it's because blue is a sweet colour to look at, or something...wait

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

In fact, its oxygen afaik, not water, and the way light scatters, not refracts, there is difference :)

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I don't understand this forum! when some one open a thread, 90% of the posts are offtopic or stupid answers !
    I made a legit question and for me it isn't normal that the mirrors cost such amount of fps! it kills the game and yea thank for your nonsense posts !

6. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

What track you test?

Is the same in other tracks?

7. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well, you keep complaining about things, and this particular one is kinda... obvious and already has been answered in this topic, with mirrors on you need to render much more than wihout them

8. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Is it really that obvious that turning on mirrors have such a big impact on FPS? Going from 100 FPS to 60? Why is that obvious? Because it happens in all sims? Or could it be that RF2 is not optimized in this area? I know its hard to believe because RF2 is so well optimized and flawless in all other areas right? He is specifically asking ISI and yet there are ppl here with their own theories "maybe this, maybe that" and other ppl coming with smartass comments.

9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Ok Ok, just keep the hostality down please. It is true that the FPS drop is signifanctly higher than it shoud be, but again i can only give you my "maybe this maybe that" answer for that, so i wont bother

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOOOOOL!!!!

Maybe there are reasons....

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

So you think that it is normal the a little mirrors cost more than 40% of the total fps? are you kidding me?:confused:

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

:confused:

13. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Let's not forget that rF2 is still beta and ISI seem more interested in 'content' rather than 'core' optimisations.......

14. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

In the other track is costs me about 20-25fps! and the strange thing that 3 mirrors cost the same amount of fps as one mirror!
    I mean,

1 mirrors- 60fps
    2 mirrors( the car one and the virtual one)- 60fps
    4 mirrors( the car one and the 3 virtuals)- 60fps!

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

The car will have 2 side mirrors?

16. MJP

MJP Registered

I believe the mirrors are done in a separate pass, doesn't matter how many of them there are. At least that's how it was in rF1 and F1C before that and it doesn't seem to have changed in rF2 as far as i can tell. The resolution of the mirrors can have an effect though.

17. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Clearly an unacceptable fps drop and this issue needs sorting along with many other long-running complaints to do with the core of this sim. I know ISI has separate core and content teams but I'd really like to see the base platform finished ahead of more content.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Even though the area we see in the mirror is small compared to what we see in the front of us, if the rear view is not rendered unless you turn on mirrors, then there will be double the load on the system in order to render what you see. It will make no difference how many mirrors are in use, as you need to the rear view rendered for all or one regardless. The only thing that might be different than what you see in front of you is if you are in last place, in which case the rear view will not need to render vehicles. You will still need to see shadows, landscape, road and real road.

19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Can reproduce this on an ISI track???

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

If you have a mod with, let's say, 4096x1024 mirror texture and you run it on single monitor at 1920x1080, then you have 2 MPIX on your screen and 4 MPIX in your mirrors.
    Even having much less objects rendered in your mirrors, you may end up with significant performance hit.

I can only suggest to check mirrors performance with ISI car on ISI track. If there's a big performance hit - report to ISI with information on which car and track combo you used.
    If you only get this performance hit with some mods - report to mod authors.

As described above - I wouldn't be so certain it's a problem with the sim itself :)