Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Adrian

Adrian Registered

[MENTION=4386]vittorio[/MENTION]

I saw your post over at mtbs3d, I've ordered one too can't wait for it to arrive. Hopefully they weren't just assuming when they said it would work with Tridef etc. :)

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Cool Adrian! Since they didn't answer yet I think it's very likely they didn't tested Tridef, because the answer: "Don't worry, we already tested Tridef and everything is OK!" would be so easy to write. Maybe and hopefully they are simply very busy now. :)

Another usual suspect probably interested: @Adrianstealth did you see this project already?
    RiftUP! at Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/riftup
    Diskussion at MTBS3D: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=18316

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya vittorio

yes I spotted that, I don't really see the point though due to cost & the DK2 imminent (well just a 4 month wait),
    the dk2 is superior in other ways than just the resolution so it's worth waiting

I'm keeping my monitor original boxes safe as hope to sell these as soon as I've tested the new rift,
    also hoping rf2 support comes fairly swift too ( hope your not to busy around July time vittorio ! )

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes you are right, the main reason I baked this is because I'm so impatient!

But in terms of resolution the RiftUP mod is probably superior to the DK2. The DK2 uses a 1920x1080 OLED pentile display, RiftUP uses a 1920x1080 LCD RGB display.
    Pentile tech is clever by considering the fact that the human eye is a lot more sensitive to green than to red and blue. (Numbers i've read 72% green, 21% red and 7% blue)
    While the amount of green subpixels are equal for pentile and RGB displays, RGB displays have double the amount of red and blue subpixels. After looking at a Samsung Galaxy S4 (same display as DK2) through DK1 lenses I'm not worried about blue, but it was noticeable that there are less red subpixels than green subpixels. Nevertheless, the display was great.

BTW I have two racing systems, one will use DK2, the other RiftUP if it works. So, if resolution is more important for simracing than the other improvements (positional tracking, low persistence, OLED, better lenses) I might end up racing with the RiftUP. But main reason is impatience and curiosity :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I wouldn't trust for the moment any unofficial upgrade kit for DK1. It just does not sound good. Be patient and order an official one. I would say that this guy is trying to make money from impatient people.

enviado mediante tapatalk

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

vittorio

hiya, do you have the new SDK ( notified by email from oculus ) not sure if this is for dk2 compatibility which could enable
    basic functionality prior to them being shipped

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Hi, yes just seen it. It's a preview release and DK2 position tracking support is not included. There are some interesting features which should help rendering quality and latency for native implementations or Tridef.
    For the plugin this could be interesting: "Sensor prediction is now based on absolute time that increments continuously through program execution, as compared to delta time relative to now. Absolute time reduces errors based on execution timing variability." But I have already implemented same idea/method since RF2Rift V1.0, so I don't expect much improvements for the plugin. I guess I will wait for the next non preview SDK version to get released.

8. cookie

cookie Registered

Hi guys,I'm having trouble getting Oculus Rift Customized HUD to work now, I can see it working in 2D and Tridef hud works in 3D any ideas? anyway having so much fun with rF carts and rift it's not that important .

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Did you follow the steps to install and select the Oculus Rift Customized HUD?

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Customized HUD installation

(Like every other rfcmp):
    • Download riftmultidial_0_8.zip (see Attachments in the first post) and extract
    • Copy riftmultidial_0_8.rfcmp to C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Packages
    • Start rFactor2 Launcher
    • Click Manage Mods
    • Check Viewing: Components
    • Select Rift Multi Dial
    • Click Install
    In rFactor2 Single Player:
    • Enter CUSTOMIZE->ONCSCREEN DISPLAY
    • Select RIFTMULTIDIAL

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Customized HUD usage

The customized HUD is needed to be able to see necessary informations in race. These are:
    Flags and symbols (top left). Messages (top). The HUD MFD (bottom right, access with key 6 by default) and the HUD Stats (bottom, access with key 4 by default). Virtual mirrors aren't visible, they would break immersion anyway.

It should look like this (screenshot is in 2D):
    View attachment 12441

Yes, karts are awesome with the rift! :) Only surround sound is missing because karts have no mirrors.

10. cookie

cookie Registered

hiya vittorio, i'm pretty sure its all install correctly it used to work fine a few months ago. Using build 660/ TriDef 3D 6.2 now
    if it's working for you the problem must be my end thanks for the reply.

View attachment 12467

11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

It looks correct in your photo? Or is that an old one?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

12. cookie

cookie Registered

yes thats in 2d as it is now,the only odd thing that comes up TriDef says there is no DirectX 9,10,11 detected for rFactor

13. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I only get that message when I close the launcher without starting rf2. Do you have the close launcher on start option on maybe?

14. cookie

cookie Registered

Hi guys my hud problems stem from 3D texture copy setting and anti aliasing, 3d texture copy off hud works 8x anti aliasing 23fps, 3d texture copy auto no anti aliasing hud works poor quality aliasing 170 fps, turn anti aliasing 8x no hud but better quality and 168 fps. What setting do you guys use ?

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I'm still using TriDef 3D 5.10 and TriDef 3D Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1

4x anti aliasing

3D Texture Copy = Off -> 68 FPS -> everything works ok
    3D Texture Copy = On -> 68 FPS -> doesn't work at all, left view = black, right view = grey
    3D Texture Copy = Auto -> 68 FPS-> doesn't work at all, left view = black, right view = grey

What GPU do you have cookie? But since it worked for you before it's probably a TriDef 6.2 issue?

16. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I'm on the latest tridef, texture copy off, level 4 AA and nvidia. No problems, works just like it always has.

17. cookie

cookie Registered

I,m using AMD 7970 on my oculus rig for now, the plan was to upgrade my other rig to gtx 880 and use the titan for my oculus, but the 880 won't be out before dk2 or maybe 2015. I'm surprised at the low fps from 780ti thats my backup plan I need 80fps to get no stutter on my 7970 with 7 AI .

18. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Hi vittorio, awesome to hear that you have ordered a DK2, if not I might have had to order one for you :D .

What is your preliminary feeling on the possibilities of getting positional tracking into a rFactor plugin? Is it possible to do in the same way that rotation and neck model was implemented or will it need modifications to the engine (by ISI)? What about issues like drift and clipping?

19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Hi Ctuchik! ;)

I expect that positional tracking will simply work with the next plugin. I think it will be even easier by using the next Oculus SDK, because the next SDK will do positional tracking (for DK2) and even neck model (for DK1, the neck is then even customizable within the oculus calibration tool).

Drift should be no issue because now there is a camera. Clipping probably will be less an issue like it was with the neck model (e.g. rotating the head in the marussia caused clipping with neck model), because now you can move your head while rotating so there is no clipping.

The only thing I wonder is how DK2 with positional tracking will work with motion sims like SimXperience. Should the view position and angle change when the seat moves and rotates? Maybe there is a second tracker needed to track the position and angle of the seat so: view = head - seat. We will see :)

20. Adrian

Adrian Registered

[MENTION=4386]vittorio[/MENTION]

Mine shipped yesterday but I'm on the other side of the world so you'll get yours first. Can't wait for your report!