rf2 graphics quality expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

It's still a WIP, and all talk about not delivering, well. The day for deliver is not here yet, so get over it!

Still a great sim though!

2. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I don't recall calling Feels an expert, but he is working to produce the best work he can and has stated clearly that there is more to get out of the engine, now forgive me for believing someone who is actually producing good content and must have some idea of what he is talking about.

Anyway I said some time ago that I had said all I wanted to say about GFX so I'll go back to my popcorn.

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

rF2 graphics isn't so bad! this is my first video with movie maker:

4. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Codemasters -> Race Driver Grid 2 -> And they can scrap me too ;)

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

can I have some? please? or Ill have john.perssons cat go after you?

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

LOL, cats love me do your worst...and buy your own popcorn you cheapskate :D

7. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Eyy... dont make me bring out the cats!

They are serious business on internets!!! DONT YOU DARE!

[​IMG]

8. Dale B

Dale B Registered

+1

9. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

lol. If they had stuck with rF1 graphics I certainly wouldn't be here. Call it "spoiled ass bitching" or using a forum to have a discusion, guess it depends on your outlook.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sorry no, for a serious simulator it is not important, of course we would love it though. Look at the super powerful, super expensive, super computer simulations that race teams, flight training centers, militaries, etc use. They all have just decent, ok, "good enough to get the point" graphics, all the resources, computing power, money, research, development, etc go into 1 thing, and 1 thing only, THE PHYSICS SIMULATION, AND NOT the simulation of what a tyre looks like to the human eye at 7pm on a sunny evening, NOT what a 12 cylinder Ferrari sounds like while it is approaching you at 175mph with a 6 foot wall concrete wall a few feet either side of the car, NOT a simulation of how trees cast shadows, BUT A SIMULATION ON VEHICLE DYNAMICS AND OUR CONTROL OF THAT VEHICLE USING A STEERING WHEEL, SHIFTER AND PEDALS.

THAT is what we are simulating.

The rest is just bonuses that are there because, well because of course we would love the best graphics, best sound etc, also it's a video game so you can generate more sales with better graphics, sound etc, but in the end they have no effect on the scientific technical simulation of the sim itself, they are just there so people can have more fun and psychologically feel more immersed and "wow'd".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  11. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Then explain why there's no clutch. The users of the super sophisticated sims you refer too all get to go do it for real later that day. I don't, so I want the sims I buy to have fantastic physics AND immersive graphics. Is that too much to ask?

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Did I say anywhere in my post that the simulation known as RFactor 2 is perfect in it's physics? No.

13. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Did I say anywhere in my post that I was referring to the simulation known as rF2 when I said "Then explain why there's no clutch?" No.

C'man.

But seriously, were you referring to the commercial sims when you said: "BUT A SIMULATION ON VEHICLE DYNAMICS AND OUR CONTROL OF THAT VEHICLE USING A STEERING WHEEL, SHIFTER AND PEDALS. THAT is what we are simulating."

Seeing how we are in the rF2 forum, and the argument seems to be that rF2 doesn't look as good as it should (don't know if I fully agree yet,) but it's physics make up for that, I just assumed you were referring to rF2. My mistake.

14. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

You just said what I always wanted to say and I didn't because I know almost no one would listen.

Because it isn't implemented yet.

Feel sorry for you. Maybe someday you will like, I do sometime. Cheer up!

I want the food I buy in a 5-star restaurant to be delicious AND cheap like in a shady bar.

I was really, really trying to give you long and insightful response. With a special meaning that you would like to hear. A response filled with information, data and seriousness.

But all that came from my mouth was:
    Hell yeah it is too much!

15. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

lol, thanks anyway.

So who is the shady bar, ISI or real racing?

Thanks for the sympathy.

16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

For me its all about immersion. Believable physics and graphics are both contributing factors in that.

17. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

No problem. Wanna have my business card?

Dunno lol. I guess it doesn't matter because it depends on what you want. If you want to pay 50 dollars for a meal that wouldn't be enough for a 5 year old and enjoy the taste for couple minutes that is where you go. If you want a big-ass hamburger with some fries and coke (diet... ofcourse) to feel full after that without paying much and it doesn't bother you that it was handed by a 55 year old lady who looked like 19-year-old-wannabe with some missing teeth and a cigarate in her mouth. You go there.

Asking both of it when you are at either of places would be a bit too much to ask, don't you think?

When you come somewhere I guess you know what you are signing up for. RFactor2 is a sim that wants to give you a feeling of driving anything that has 4 wheels (or more... or less. Whatever) to be more immersive that you have ever seen. They give you a finger but you want the whole hand. Well you could ask for that if you gave them big amount of money and I mean AAA-production amount of money which would allow them to buy technology or develop their own by hiring more men to work with.

But you didn't. You are a customer and you are allowed to ask for many things. However you can't expect that all your wishes to be turned into reality just because you want so. Before you buy sth you check it, ask for more info you are allowed to ask questions. I believe before you paid for rF2 you knew that this is a small, dedicated team with limited budget, right? They do all they can afford to do. Even with larger budget and more manpower it would still be quite hard to make a sim that looks amazing, better than anything else before with physics that is just below or on a par with the gratest non-comercial simulators in the world. Let alone to make it work so anyone could launch it on his home PC not on some hyper computer which you could find at a university.

Hah. I'm not that bad when you got to know me better. ;)

True. But what is a bigger factor to immersion when we are talking about a sim?

Answer yourself.

Game with great graphics and flat physics is just an interactive wallpaper maker. You launch it, drive and <snap> there goes your newest wallpaper...

Ok what else can you do?

I think I need more time and I don't believe I will come up with sth else.

18. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Well actually they usually have major effect on the simulation; they make it worse! :) It's about the connection between driver and simulator. Better graphics generally need more power which decreases framerate which furthermore reduces feedback from simulator and increases lag. I know you know this very well so don't get me wrong; just want to highlight this issue to be an addition to your excellent post.

Sure I would love to have better graphics - who didn't. But in the end it's the physics simulation which truly matters. rF2 is already well above the graphical quality needed for my personal taste. And it's still getting better and better every day.

19. osella

osella Registered

Comparing pro sim with nonpro/commercial sim is difficult.
    Let's not forget drivers using rf PRO use that sim for only one, ok two, purposes: to practice more on any track as real world practice is limited, and to theoretically aproximately test their setups. That's all, they're not looking for fun because they have that in real cockpits.

Whereas an average driver of rf/rf2 wants to pretend he is one of the racers in car x on track y and for that he needs to be immersed and have fun. Well made real physics and FFB are a must but this 1 attribute isn't sufficient anymore for most people imo, including me.
    A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, I know I'd rather play TDU with odd physics than rF4 with brilliant physics and no trackside objects whatsover, 90s textures and shadows etc.

If you consider graphics a pure bonus and not something that is a genuine part of sim, I guess you would be happy with a CMD version of rf2 with numerous motec screens and no GUI whatsover, if those motec readings would correspond perfectly to real life data :p

20. osella

osella Registered

Sorry did I miss something? How is rf2 visuals getting better and better every day..? New builds are released after ~7 weeks and most of them don't touch graphics and high quality tracks like feels3' are extremely rare (no wonder, in fact I don't understand feels and admire him at the same time he puts so much time in something that might need rework in the future).

Have a look at 2 notorious rf1 websites http://simscreens.blogspot.cz/ and http://manfredvonrichtofen.blogspot.it/ and you'll see that rf1 with the proper car/track and maybe shaders/hdr plugin combo looks better than most rf2 content unfortunately.