Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think oculus is setting their standards fairly high ( which us good ),
    I assume the biggest item they've been holding out for is the correct screen ( for the consumer 1 )

they seem upbeat in interviews that their close to having the specification of the C1 "is being locked down" so hopefully it will not be a long wait until it's announced - maybe late this year ?

( they are all 3d even the DK1 )

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

IMHO because the display technology (slightly) isn't there what they want: 2560x1440, >90Hz, OLED.
    DK2 has 1920x1080, 75H, OLED.

3D even on the DK1 is the best I have ever seen, not even slightly comparable to cinema or 3DTV. Completely natural, it's like you're sitting in a real car. It's so natural that I always instinctively try to smell on things near to my nose. Really, no joke :)

Waiting for the consumer version for simracing is probably not a bad decision. Even 1920x1080 will be low res for simracing because seeing things in the distance is important, it's not that much important for other applications.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the 3d is so good due to both eyes continually viewing it's own image

(as with all 3d as if it's the same image but from a slightly different position - about the width of the average space between the human eyes to be precise as in the real world)

but with no shuttering , no ghosting, no polarisation

after ordering the dk2 I have no idea how it's going to look compared to the dk1
    twice the resolution / faster screen / more tracking ....going to be interesting!

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

.. and very important, because the FOV is >80°.

quoting this article again: http://www.leepvr.com/sid1992.php (annot.: when FOV>80° there is no stereo window)

"But for Virtual Reality, the difference is critical. When there is a stereo window there is no ignoring the fact: either you are looking through some sort of window onto the world, or the world has a distant frame around it. Neither of these effects is natural. Neither of these permits what NASA has aptly called the "feeling of immersion in a virtual world". Briefly put, if there is a stereo window, the observer is on the outside looking in. Only when the field of view is so wide that the stereo window vanishes, can the observer rightfully consider himself or herself on the inside of the world looking out and around. The angular field of view required to eliminate the windows is about 80 degrees, so any system that provides a field of view less than 80 degrees, in particular any system with an eye lens whose diameter is much less than about twice the distance from the lens to the center of the eyeball, is going to show a stereo window. Such a system fails in a critical way to qualify as immersive virtual reality."

I will get me a motion sim now too, will be interesting what new problems there will arise. Motion sim + DK2 :D

5. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I told myself I would wait for the consumer version. But damn the DK2 is tempting, and it is such a good price.

6. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  7. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Well I pre ordered the dk2 and I am no developer. I hope that I can use it in my race sims Rf2/AC/GSC as well as X3 and No Limits 2 Roller coaster. I think/hope it is going to be awesome on my simxperience and hope that I did not make a hasty decision.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Did you watch the interview video above? and the Oculus rep saying he would rather devs order the kits than consumers? Or did you gloss over that part?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya wooden

I think people will make their own buying decisions, the more people order the more support there is for oculus & more rifts in circulation, oculus are more than happy to sell to devs & personal users I think they want to make the point it's not the consumer version to avoid any disappointment from the mainstream consumer (like us) which would be bad press they really don't want, they have high standards for the C1 & they want people to know the DK2 isn't it.

a good circulation (the more around the better) should help promote development also, if none of the rfactor2 community had no interest in VR then there would be less chance of ISI support (for the rift / VR ), the enthusiasm & support/sales for oculus can only be a good thing.

they'll be about 15 people I can think of that will be around my home quickly for demo of mine (when it shows up) which (if it's impressive) is helping promote oculus & VR

the extra ones I ordered are there instantly for any friends that want them (at cost) although I have nothing against people putting them on ebay for bidding etc if people want to pay a premium for not having to wait. I'll do this myself if I'm left with any.

I can't see any problems here -it's good all around

10. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Do you know guys if ISI has confirmed native Oculus support?

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

somewhere earlier on this thread, I seem to remember Tim expressing interest to do so -I think they purchased x2 dk1's at the time, not sure if they've ordered dk2's ?

Tim or devs haven't commented for some time, but it's nice to see this thread active as they (Tim/devs) should notice this

Iracing devs are very active on the iracing thread & AC already has already integrated support (within the UI etc) so I'm hoping ISI will follow suit -if I'm being fair to compare that is, no disrespect to ISI intended etc
    (just looking at how other current main titles are approaching VR )

12. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Thanks Adrian, I can´t understand why we don´t have native support yet.

It´s absolutely important rF2 runs with an Oculus without any plugin.

13. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

I don't mind the plug-in, it does head tracking and neck model perfectly. Better than some native implementations (cough assetto corsa cough). Having the rendering native would be great though. Tridef does after all cost some money.

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If consumers are buying DKs is because developers are not putting restrictions to it. No matter what they claim in an interview. It would be stupid to think that developers do not appreciate the incomes from consumers buying DKs. Everybody purchasing needs to mark that he understands what a DK means assuming all responsibility. I am not aware about guarantee policies in these cases but I guess they are more permisible than with regular commercial products.

If developers were more clear about development program and scheduling announcing when the commercial version is expected, less people would be so impatient. If I knew final commercial version would be up in 4 months I would wait. If I need to wait for 18 months then I would buy DK2. Information is everything.

enviado mediante tapatalk

15. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Probably we´ll have the CK1 this year, and it´ll has more resolution, refresh, lighter... so in my case, I´m going to wait.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it seems the consumer is expected sooner than I'm guessing (only rumours mind)
    my guess was C1 being announced GDC next year (so a year from now) then shipping in July

a lot of gossip around indicating it will be shipping late this year ( I hope so ! )
    I'm starting to believe this could actually be the case as oculus has had prototypes very similar to to dk2 for a while, oculus also sound quite upbeat about the consumer 1 "very close to locking down the specification" etc

either way I'm happy to be getting my hands on a DK2 as I'm very impatient lol
    (on arrival of the C1 I'll either keep the dk2 or give it to someone)

I ordered within 2hrs of it becoming available so hopefully will be one of first to receive one.

also hoping that the load on PC will be less running a rift than triple screen 3d vision so that will allow me to skip a few of the next series nvidia gpu's also after the cost of my PC I'm happy about this thought!

rf2 has got a lot better for me over last few builds, hope the few problems introduced recently can be ironed out by devs,
    I'll be hosting on a 2nd PC then, no renew of my Iracing account in May

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  17. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I think they need to make sure they are first on the market with other big people jumping on board now. Or get bought out by Nvidia. If they take too long they could get beaten to the punch if they aren't careful which would be a right shame, as I regard them as the main company that has pushed what is going to be the next big thing in interactive entertainment, and drone control but lets not go there....

With the situation as it is my main concern is the refresh rate, with 90hz being touted as a possibility and 75hz being the current level.... surely this is not high enough for a quick glance at your side mirror, won't it just be a blurry mess? Is this a limitation of current oled technology? Other specs that are probably important, would be response time, max degrees per second that the tracking can cope with, and the delay time on that. I notice in all the videos the people wearing the rift appear to be behaving a bit in slow motion like they are underwater or something. Slow deliberate movements. I'm guessing this is due to some of those specs I just mentioned not being high enough (yet).

I will still buy one if only for the novelty and to help push the technology along, but I think we may still be a few releases away from something that will hold up really well in a simulator environment, I hope not but hearing the specs I can't help but think it. For gaming the first release is going to be fun, but it might take some good vr only software releases to help it take hold and progress to what we really want, which would be: such high refresh rates and such low input times that you forget you are wearing it. Sounds like the first version may be a bit like looking through insect eyes or a crysis visor (they mention being able to see hexagons in the latest video - presumably the lenses magnifying the oled to the point where you just about see the pixels) this will be cool for games developed specifically to take advantage of vr but not as good for trying to convince your brain you are really doing something normal like driving. We are still some way off the holodeck or the matrix neurological spike to the cranium, dammit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  18. osella

osella Registered

Hmm I think I'll preorder DK2 too. If I won't like it it should be easy to sell on ebay, so what's there to lose?

19. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I preordered one, I think it will be interesting to play with, and it is cheaper than buying a triple screen setup or even one 3d 120hz monitor.

20. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I presume that FOV>80 deg is for each individual eye. My real-world FOV is near 180deg using both eyes. Each eye's FOV is limited by the bridge of my nose to something in the range of 80-90 or so degrees. No way an 80 deg FOV can eliminate the stereo window.

EDIT: OK I think I get it. The 80deg no-window field is the over lap between the individual eyes FOV? Still, if the total FOV is less that 180 your going to be looking thru a "window".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.