Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osella

osella Registered

That's great ;)

2. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

3. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Heh ye, you know what i meant by my question....

Thats a bad deal tho, is there gonna be a 1440p version? ive heard about 4K but that is overkill for High-end performance for recent AAA titles....

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I must admit sony's announcement hasn't excited me to much, not sure if it's good enough to compete with even the specification of the oculus crystal cove, oculus is on later ( hopefully with some decent news )

think sony is being aimed more at the console market

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

great news , hoping to get my preorder in today!

GDC 2014 :

source: tech radar

Oculus took another step towards bringing its Rift VR headset to the public as it unveiled the Development Kit 2 (DK2) headset at GDC.
    DK2 is a leap above the Crystal Cove prototype shown at CES 2014. Think of this as Crystal Cove actualized.
    Pre-orders for the headset, which is still very much a dev kit, start today. It's priced at $350 (about £210, AU$383).
    What's new with Oculus Rift DK2

A number of tweaks, both hardware and software, persist through the new Oculus Rift dev kit.
    The most noticeable change for those maneuvering through a virtual world is positional tracking. This means that as you move your head forward, the image on the screen zooms in to the object your looking at. It's as you would experience perception in real life if you craned closer to a dropped item on the ground.
    In a demo shown comparing Oculus' first development kit and DK2, this particular feature is clearly an evolution over the former.
    Oculus has also done away with the box that dangled from the headset's cable. Now there's a single cable that branches into two, becoming strands for HDMI and USB.
    The display resolution is 960 x 1080 per eye, and the field of view measures 100 degrees. The display is marked as a "low persistence OLED" creation.
    As for the rest of Oculus Rift DK2's specs, users can expect an update rate of 1000Hz, HDMI 1.4b and 3x USB 2.0. Positional tracking has an update rate of 60Hz and utilizes a near infrared CMOS sensor to get its work done.
    Be sure to check out TechRadar's updated Oculus Rift hands on review, where we take a closer look at DK2.

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

7. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

8. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

what a fantastic price, do u guys reckon this is the price area the released public ones will be for?

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Announcing the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2):
    " ... What’s Next?
    We’re deep into development on the consumer Rift. We have a lot more planned, including improvements to comfort, resolution, tracking, software, ergonomics, optics, industrial design, and the overall experience. ..."

-> So the consumer version probably has a higher resolution than 1920x1080. Very important for simracing!

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I will wait for the high resolution kit!

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I just pre-ordered one but i don't have high hopes for the resolution quality. Pixel density at first glance is a decent step up, sounds great that there are 2 times as many pixels as the dk1. However, pixel lengths are only 26% shorter which when you factor in how bad dk1 resolution really was, i think it will still be disappointing in this regard. Lastly, if they are using samsungs oled pentile screen technology, it could be pretty awful to look at. I bought a samsung galaxy nexus 2 years ago and amongst other issues it had that bugged me, the pentile screen was horrible. I ditched it for an iphone 4s and all was fixed, especially the screen. You might say, "that was 2 years ago though" and things may have changed but (correct me if i'm wrong) they are still sharing subpixels in their displays? I understand the reason for the oled though, allows them to run it similar to what 2D lightboosting does which will be very interesting to see.

Oh and like the last dk1, very likely i will sell it after a day or 2....if the dk1 resell history is anything to go by, your looking at at least a 100% return on investment in any case. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I ordered x4 sets & took about 2hrs & about 40 attempts !
    ( I'm not being greedy I have friends that are slow off the mark & will want one as soon as they demo mine etc any I'm left with will be on ebay)

I've always said that resolution needs to be approx 900/1080 x 2440

1080x1920 ( 1080 x 960 per eye as oppose to dk1 800x640 per eye)
    I'm really hoping will be just enough to replace my monitors as a temporary display system awaiting a higher resolution version VR (currently use 3x 27" 3d vision monitors )

the demo versions of the full HD version seemed to have used optics from the dk1
    the dk2 will have new improved optics ( according to oculus )

interested to see how useable this version is (as a monitor replacer), I'm keeping an open mind

the dk1 I instantly put up for sale due to resolution being to low

p.s I hope to simply put a HD tv on the wall for windows etc

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

p.s there are some members of Iracing that claim they are using the dk1 as a full time monitor replacer

( yuk ! )

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I do find it a bit grating that many CONSUMERS are buying DEV KITS because they can't wait for the CONSUMER version. This takes away a possible DEV KIT for a DEV to use to produce a game... slightly selfish? and when you guys admit you will try it once or twice then sell it to make a profit? That, to me, just sounds like you being a bit of a dick.

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Slightly a bit harsh and primitive manner calling others selfish and a dick. Oculus doesn't want to restrict the dev kits to developers like Sony does, otherwise Oculus would have done that (and they clearly said they don't want to)

16. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Also there's the whole fact they're being made in a factory in china and they can just produce more. It's not like there's only 100 and they're being made by hand or anything. :)

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

It was even in their business plan shown to investors to 1st sell X0000 DK1, 2nd sell X00000 DK2, 3rd sell even more CS1.

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I didnt know that bits of dicks sounded. (watch your language mate, it sounds wrong :D)

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Why does it take so long to develop the final kit?! I really want to TEST it:D
    Will the final version support the 3D?

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ill wait for consumer version Wajdi, I bet it will be more resolution worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.