Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Palmer: "Right now, we're focused on wrapping up DK2 and getting that out to developers ASAP. Good news soon!"

2. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Cannot wait, the rfactors are still my favorite experiences on the devkit 1. Much of the work is already done with vitorios excellent plugin, if ISI just add the separation+distortion they have a finished native implementation!

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thread title updated, like many many others I'm hoping to order a HD version pretty soon

( DK1's are now not being supplied, Oculus at GDC starting next few days )

really hoping the rift will not have to rely on a plug-in to work with rf2 ( due to the plug-in delay )
    & full integration will be added ( maybe just an option in the screen config box )

thanks

p.s I know ISI have a lot on their plate but I believe that VR will prove to be quite big within sim racing, a plug-in delay (for the visual) could cause a lot of annoyance

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

How much of a delay is there currently with a plugin do you know? I would be hoping for very early native adoption from ISI if a plugin is just no good.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya it's about 10 to 15 seconds (for me ), for this to be the case with a VR headset it will just be totally annoying imo

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

10-15 seconds????? That can't be right? You move your head, a quarter of a minute later the camera moves? Annoying wouldn't come close, useless would be closer! You must mean milliseconds.... still too long really.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

on my PC it takes 10 seconds +

could be that I have sli-pro & motion platform that are using plug ins (the more plugins the more time of plugin delay ?)

that's why there is a delay race start option to await the plug in delay, it's a total irritation as it is (motion/vibration/wheel display) but with a VR headset the delay would be totally irritating

it wouldn't just be moving your head but also perhaps no duel vision etc you'd have to keep your eyes closed or keeping lifting the headset off every time you reset the car etc

p.s I think Tim (ISI) wrote there would be support (assuming integrated & not as a plugin) but -at the time of writing which was a while ago it wasn't a high priority, but I think the time is drawing near

8. elbo

elbo Registered

he's referring to the initial plugin delay when you see that orange ball in the corner. Once the plugins are loaded the rift works fine.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya elbo

yes I'm sure it does, but it's the actual delay that will be the irritation, thus if it was fully integrated & not working from a plugin there would be no delay ( 10 to 15 seconds every time enter the sim car or resetting etc )

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

GDC ( games developers conference ) starts this Monday ( 17th march )

it's anticipated that there will be new news from oculus re.the HD version ( might be called dev.kit 2 ) & hopefully news on pre-ordering date (ever better immediate pre-ordering available) with the devkit 1 now unavailable the above "guesses" make sense

[​IMG]

11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Ah ok that's a relief, so do you get a picture through the rift before the plugin loads and the headtracking part is delayed, or do you get nothing at all until the plugin loads?

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I don't know to be honest (maybe someone can correct me?) I quickly sold my dk1 kit as it wasn't a monitor replacer due to very low res.

I guess the vision will be single (it will just display like a mini monitor so will look confusing to the eyes) with no head tracking or function then I guess everything will do something like an annoying flicker as the plugins kick in,
    if was just the tracking then that wouldn't be so bad (but I think I'm correct in it effecting vision too)

13. Adrian

Adrian Registered

No, at the moment we're using tridef or Vorpx to do the oculus stuff (distortion/split image) and the plugin from vittorio for the head tracking. Once you launch RF2 everything is always in "rift vision" but whenever you get into a car it takes a delay of ~10-15 seconds for the headtracking part to become active. A rift without head tracking is probably slightly more effective than year old raw chicken at making you sick :p

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

cheers,

that's not so bad then, hopefully ISI will get onto this for integrated/embedded support as a viewing/monitor option etc

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Sony expected to announce a VR headset in a few hours at GDC

oculus announcements tomorrow (rumoured announcement that is -possible dev kit 2 HD details/release )

16. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Question.. when you get 1080p version, is that 1080p for both eyes together or does each eye get its own 1080p?

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes and no answer.

Yes each eye gets 1080 pixels in the vertical direction. No each eye shares half of a 1920x1080 resolution screen (i.e. 960x1080 per eye). I could be wrong about the aspect ratio though, could be less, e.g. 1728x1080 for 16:10.

Same principle for the 1280x800 devkit 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  18. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

In the Oculus, you see less wide than 16:9, because part of the screen is used to create an awesome 3D effect.

19. osella

osella Registered

I can't find much info about oculus with rf1, has anyone here tried it?
    I know ISI won't support it in rf1 but are there plans for improved 3rd party support?
    Is it expected to work well with rf1?

I know answers to those are probably uncertain but worth a try

20. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Works awesome with tridef and the tracking plugin.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.