Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian

Adrian Registered

:D The world would be boring if we all agreed on everything. Yes destroy is probably too harsh, but I still think that if Facebook want to sell VR devices to large numbers of people then their goals will have to be the same as Oculus, at least in the short term (<5 years) which is to make awesome VR and that's good for all of us!

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

[INSANITY]
    This is so going to be used as a massive MK Ultra device. Of course not in the beginning, but once we are all hooked. If you haven't heard about MK Ultra look it up on wikipedia it is an actual thing not nutty speculation. They have in the not too distant past attempted to control peoples minds. Do you really think they will not try a mass mind control experiment now or in the future? Could be as simple as getting you to buy a product (would your brain conciously register one frame to one eye?...buy peanut butter...vote Hilary), could be much worse than that. This is the same people who have just bought this technology. I can only assume the people who regard this as nuts are the same ones still posting their whole life on facebook. Zuckerberg is an asset, Facebook was designed from the ground up to collect as much information as possible about people, it's a pretty dangerous organization. They are doing an awesome job of sweeping it under the carpet, the owner of Paypal now has control of the unreleased Snowden leaks, and Zuckerberg is publicly telling Obama he doesn't like spying.... LOFL
    [/INSANITY]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes, this is dangerous!
    And people that are buying this product will support this insanity!
    Just my 1 cent...

4. Bkim

Bkim Registered

I wonder when Mark will buy Valve including steam. That would be a treasure full of data mining via Rift. I'll bet it wont take long.

5. Comante

Comante Registered

O'Cmon, the Rift is only a visualization Device, it's just a freaking monitor!

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

A monitor you're buying from Facebook.

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

If it isn't at the very least being used for remote warfare within a year I will be shocked. Starting with improving airborne drones, then expanding this to the driverless tank, culminating with robotic foot soldiers all controlled from the safety of a bunker. These same remotely controlled vehicles/ robots could also be our police and fire/ rescue services before very long. It's a thin end of a wedge. O cmon it was only a freaking harmless social networking site..... wasn't it?

8. crz

crz Registered

Walter Ulbricht, a german politician once said:

2 months later, the berlin wall was beeing built. I think it is eligible to be sceptical of this development, no matter how harmless it looks at this moment and what Oculus VR says to calm us down.

Also it is not just a monitor, it is also an input device. I've heard of plans to integrate a camera that tracks your eye position. If I would be Facebook, I would want to use and sell that data (Let's find out at which part of the website the user looks the most, for example).

9. hoover

hoover Registered

Gabe would comment: "No thanks, we're not planning to purchase FaceBook at this point in time." (paraphrased from memory ;))

Uwe

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Do you have a source for that claim?

11. crz

crz Registered

http://m.techradar.com/news/gaming/...s-including-support-for-8k-and-beyond-1199232

This is the only site I can find now where the CEOs mention eye tracking, but I am sure I've read an interview where they were talking about it.

12. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

13. crz

crz Registered

Oh yea, everything after "If I would be Facebook..." came out of my head, no one actually said that. It is just what I would do if I would be Facebook.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I don't think Palmer would allow that.

15. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Palmer has sold the dream to Mark for money. Palmer is nothing now. It's what Mark will allow, and that is pretty much anything his handler tells him to allow. It's a dark day my friends, a dark day.

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Again, that is what you ASSUME.

Have you read Palmer's responses to these types of questions?

Before you light your torches and raise your pitchforks... how about getting some perspective. Don't let this post turn into the dribble that the Oculus reddit became! Pure insanity, threats, rumours and just general ignorance.

http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I dont know what all the anti-facebook fuss is about, the way I see it:

1) every company is for sale, Oculus are now mega-rich so they're happy
    2) the Rift will now have more technical staff making it much better and much quicker production times + # of Units made quicker
    3) might even drive the price down a bit as it'll be mass produced
    4) I'm still getting one (one day) and that's all that matters to me!

unless I'm missing something like Facebook have said they bought Oculus but have ceased production of the thing entirely as they just wanted to spend some cash for no reason!

18. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I think Palmer responses means **** right now. Zuckerberg owns the place now.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

this was always going in one direction, this is simply another step in that way

facebook/Microsoft/apple/Sony/lg or who ever dosnt make much difference , money is money which ever stream

I can see facebooks angle though ( if their clever & not to distracted ), this is a very good thing,

I can't seem to see the logic of pessimistic views

p.s I have no problem with Facebook (with or without oculus) what so ever, I use it all the time, it's a useful medium for which there is no charge

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+Googol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.