Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Great Teaser. Now I really can't wait for consumer version :eek:

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

With an OR on, how do you see your buttons on your wheel/button box?

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya guy

You see nothing outside the rift
    Your vision is entirely within the graphical world

I think this would give some trouble as some need to look at buttons etc

I have all buttons/knobs (that are needed for sim racing) on my wheel
    & I do not need to look at them so no troubles for me

When the consumer version comes & if it replaces my monitors
    (I'll put 1 monitor on wall just for windows) I'll make a button box for arma 2 / 3 with a guide for my hand so buttons are in the place for each finger so it will be really easy

That's the plan anyway

4. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

With muscle memory :cool:

5. Rik

Rik Registered

6. willz

willz Registered

ok lads, the answer is a very simple. if you want one buy one, if you dont want one dont buy one, its called choice, we all have it

7. Adrian

Adrian Registered

:p if you didn't buy one the moment you heard about it then wait for the consumer version. At the moment its more like buying a concept rather than actually buying a vr headset.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

8. elbo

elbo Registered

You should look up the definition of concept ;)

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

10. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

This is a pretty exciting development :) I'll see if i can get time tonight to try it. A bit miffed at having one licence one PC as I use 2 PCs, one just for racers and one for everything else but racers will be my first try :)

11. elbo

elbo Registered

This is good news. I was considering plunking down some Money for Iracing since it supports oculus, but I will try this first with rfactor

12. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Did anyone try TriDef with rFactor 1 or 2 ?
    AMD users can get a 50% discount
    I had visitors last night so couldn't but hope to have a look tonight.

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

From an old post:
    But last I tried with a newer version of tridef and rf2, rf2+tridef didn't work anymore. I will test rf2+tridef+rift tomorrow.

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Found this on iracing forum (iracing does have excellent implemented Oculus Rift support):
    "And surprisingly, I had no problems with motion sickness or something like that. While walking around in a first person shooter like Half Life made me feel ill after just a few minutes, sitting in a car in iRacing feels absolutely normal. And also the 3d effect doesn’t cause any trouble."

15. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

I couldn't get RF2 to work with TriDef. I get a pretty much black screen with text which is messed up :(
    On the upside I managed to get Formula Trucks, GSC2012 and GTR Evolution running using TriDef. I didnt get headtracking yet..but it's a great feeling in the cars, especially with motion and simvibe :)

16. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

This is pretty much exactly like for me. I can do about 40 mins in a fps before feeling sick-ish however in anything with a cockpit (iracing, flight and space games) I can do indefinitely. I actually accidentally spent 3 hours in lunar lander without realising it :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Posted on Facebook -palmer lucky : consumer version to be "far better than the HD prototype, what people have seen is nothing compared to what is coming "

Good good (-;

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

RF2+Tridef 3.7.6b1+Rift works here!
    I use this Tridef Profile: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7739-3D-Vision-anomalys?p=105987&viewfull=1#post105987

My settings (via OSD Menu):
    3D:
    * Screen Depth: 100
    * Custom Focus: On
    * Near Plane: 34
    * Far Plane: 100
    HMD Settings:
    * Force FOV: Output
    * Output FOV: 100
    * Output Quality: High

RF2 Settings:
    * FOV: 100

It works very well and the graphics quality is great! The tracker is a different story. I got it working in RF2 Camera Free Move Mode (normaly via Mouse) and enabling headtracking in Tridef. But this doesn't work very well. Using Opentracker works alot better, but there is still drift and a bit lag. Although almost not noticeable lag, but it breaks the immersion totally. So I think the only way is to write a Rift Tracker plugin for RF2 (I will try that when I'm on vacation).

But Tridef works really good! Distortion correction is perfect (with no added aliasing), chromatic aberration correction works great. They did a great job!

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

thx vittorio ;)

20. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Ok, I got my Rift yesterday and from what I gathered in this thread I was able to get rFactor 2 working with the Rift using Tridef Ignition and Opentrack. Now while Opentrack does an incredible job and seems to "pretend it's TrackIR" making rFactor 2 somewhat recognize it (I did not need to change a setting in rFactor for Opentrack to work, it just worked right off the bat) rFactor 2 appears to have an HMD range limitation that's not working well with the Rift's far wider range. I looked in the INI files for the HMD settings and the max is 0.35, which I set it to, but still didn't prove enough... I couldn't look all the way over my shoulders.

However despite this limitation, for what I need within the confines of racing the experience is virtually perfect as far as the Rift can offer. I was able to drive for over three hours in long sessions on and off (pausing to tweak settings and improve the tracking issue) and I didn't even feel slight discomfort other than that of tossing myself around in a race car minus the G forces implicated.

Yesterday, my first day with the Rift, gave me one worry... I used the Tuscany demo and got queasy after a whiel when I started rotating the view with the mouse. Then I went onto the mistake of the night: Trying out War Thunder's Rift implementation. It's terrible because it's not stereoscopic... it's like having the image point blank in your face and while the visual representation is cool, it makes you sick in no time given the complete absence of proper distance illusion. I then tried to move on to Doom 3 but my tolerance was just up... and that was just a fraction of what I did tonight.

In this setup rFactor 2 is stereoscopic thanks to Tridef. That's priority ONE. If you can't implement stereo 3D don't implement Rift support unless you want vomitting to ensue. I'll be trying out MS Flight Sim as well and I'm expecting a far better experience than War Thunder given that can too be run fully stereoscopic. rFactor 2's framerate is running excellent for me making the head movement response quite instant. I feel no delay, just that range limitation I so wish wasn't there - it's the only thing stopping it from being a Rift gem.

I will be posting a video shortly which explains everything pretty well.

I got my info on Opentrack, oddly enough from a forum post on MTBS about Dirt 2
    http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=17594

Then I used Tridef Ignition's latest beta which has Rift support built in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.