Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

If you haven't done yet, do yourself a favor and spend $15 for a 3 month iRacing account (which has proper Rift implementation). I bet you will be amazed!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  2. elbo

elbo Registered

I tried the rift/tridef/opentrack/rf2 combo and though you can see that it could be amazing, it is not quite there for me.
    I think the most annoying thing is the constant drift of the rift/opentrack interaction. From hunting around in opentrack I could not find a way of mapping the centering to my wheel which meant i had to do it from the keyboard and this is just not practical while using the rift. I think also I suffered a bit from bad 3D settings even though i spent a lot of time fine tuning tridef. Seeing the track is difficult (maybe this is a resolution thing with the rift). On tracks i know well i can still pick off my braking points but on a new track, it would seem near to impossible to race as you just can't make out what is coming down the road.
    Another problem I had was to see the whole screen in menus you need to toggle 3D on and off in tridef, this works well in theory, expect on my system reverting back to 3D makes the game become laggy and unplayable...don't know what the solution to this might be.

Sitting in the car though is just amazing, looking around in the pits at the other cars, ect...the immersion is just fantastic. The little bit of running I did was great, see the cars next to you and in front, looking into the corners to turn, just amazing.

Maybe i will take vittorio's advice and try a 3 month trial of iracing to see what it gives on a properly rift enabled game, as it stands now for me the rfactor/rift combo is on the edge of being the holy grail of immersive sim racing but just not quite there.

3. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Yes... it is definitely on my TODO list :)
    Thanks!!

4. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

By the way, huge thanks for this; here's my latest coverage of this:

This time the video isn't Rift compatible, rather it's been adapted for 2D and 3D monitors (yup if you have 3D, use the YT 3D to see the depth I see, well sort of, without the lens transformation which only the Rift can do)

Now I brought the values down to this:
    Look Up/Down Angle="2.10000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Look Roll Angle="1.38000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Glance Angle="2.10000" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)

It reduces range ever so slightly (based on what you need for driving) and especially it seems to make the movements much smoother. To have it full-out, I found, simply made it too responsive. This feels real and minimizes all possible jitter to a near zero.

So, yeah, thanks! :)

5. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Thanks budwheizzah and vittorio..
    I had great fun with rF2 last night. I'll have another bash tonight and change some of the headtracking options..but it already makes me not want my triple screens anymore :D

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

7. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Ye good thing. John Carmack does great things. Big fan of all his work :)

I hope to get my hands on my own Oculus this week. Looking forward to try it out on rFactor 2. I think I will say goodbye to my triples too when the consumer version is out. Great time for us simracers :)

I am also very interested in using this technoligy to improve my 3d sight. Theres a new study (2013) to train your eyes to see 3D by playing tetris (google it if interested). This oculus is PERFECT for it.

8. elbo

elbo Registered

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on mitigating the drift issue?

9. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Hey there's an apparent letdown in iRacing's implementation of the Rift...
    It's monoscopic. There's no depth whatsoever; at least I am researching before spending my money and I can't seem to find one stereoscopic example of iRacing with the Rift.

A monoscopic implementation will for one make me sick in two minutes and for two... I don't see the point. War Thunder's implementation is just as terrible, and that just makes me sick... it's like the pixels want to scroll through your brain when you move.

Oculus Rift:
    -Stereo or no-go.
    -If it's monoscopic, I'll be sick
    -Mono is a one way ticket to the puke bucket.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  10. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Well it's weird... I've done seesions leaving opentrack running, while starting and shutting down rFactor 2 between races. Everytime I shut down rFactor, I stop the opentrack tracker, and start it up again (without closing the program) and finally re-center the view ('end' key). It seems that after a few times of this, the drift slowly subsides. It's as if opentrack starts with a clean slate each run and works off what it detects over time. I don't know if my observation is valid or just coincidence, but it seems to improve the longer it runs.

My centering ritual is a little complicated right now... only because this isn't a "true Rift" setup: You choose where center is - as opposed to true Rift support where the game will "know" the proper center - and it can be a bit tricky. I set my Oculus Rift on my chair, "looking" straight ahead at the wheel. But I want the center point to have the Rift looking down ever-so-slightly... this device will tend to lean forward while on your head and it's best to have the center set while the Rift is inclined about 5 degrees. To do this while it's settled on the chair I put a cigarette pack flat on the chair, under where your nose would go in the Rift. This props the back up a bit thus leaning it forward juuuust a bit. I then make sure it's well aligned (pointed square at the wheel so I'll be looking out the right way, and no roll either left or right when level) and then I start OpenTrack and hit "Start". Now I wait about 15 seconds for the sensor data to settle - stop changing - before I hit 'end' to center the device... and I'm off for the race.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

Its as 3d as 3d can get.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

No it's not monoscopic! And IIRC I didn't see anyone in the iRacing forum having this problem. Did you setup your IPD in the Oculus SDK?

"Go to the Oculus VR website and download the SDK. Once you have it installed, run the configuration tool and follow the on-screen instructions for setting your IPD. Also set your height and gender settings as well then save everything to a profile. Ensure this profile is set as your default."

This is a good thread how to setup iRacing + Rift:
    http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3207332.page

EDIT: Ah ok, I see you didn't try it. As Adrian said, 3D is like sitting in a real car.

13. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Oops I missed Adrian's post. Ok, I guess the guys at iRacing will write back to me saying "It's Stereo, Dummy" :) (I was polite but they can call me dummy for assuming! Hahahaha)

Ok, then some poor dude on YouTube has the thing running totally monoscopic. Even his video makes me pull the puke bucket closer. Ok, it's not designated as the puke bucket but it's a nice 18L bucket so near my desk - if I get sick it'll be designated as such :)

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

;) Hope you don't need it.

15. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

By the way if those who own 3D TV's want to try something cool with my last video (especially if you never managed to play YT3D on your 3D TV) ...if you have SmartTV, open it up then open the YouTube app. In the YT search, type "ORRF2" (without the quotes).

My latest rFactor 2 Rift demo should come up first. If you play it and your TV's 3D, it should automatically switch to 3D mode and play the video accordingly.

I started putting really short tags on my 3D videos this way people can find them on a SmartTV without having to search with long strings that take eons to type.

16. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

So far I thought I was gonna need it only with War thunder. I know I repeat it a lot but holy Jupiter crap that was that a horrible experience. See when VR sickness kicks in, it doesn't go away... it lingers for hours. Even after a several hour break I had tried other things (movies, Doom 3, pictures) and they just made me feel worse and worse: all things that I tried again the next day, the very same content and that time without a shred of discomfort. (This is where I got brave, came here and learned the awesome of rFactor 2 + Rift)

I've learned the hard way if it feels really wrong don't push it. Stop. Otherwise when the sweats break, you're in it for a few hours no matter what you try to do. If you keep pushing past that, you're gonna hurl, there's no avoiding it.

I'm glad to know, however, that this only happens mostly due to either poor implementation or framerates of under 50fps. (steady 60 really is super ideal, anything lower is noticeable) The VR itself when used properly is just what people have been saying it is: bloody awesome.

17. elbo

elbo Registered

Thanks for the tips I'll give those a try (though the cigarette packet technology is hard to come by these days given that people don't seem to be smoking near as much as they used to). I had great fun running the rift on ovals this thing just rocks.

18. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

:)
    Yeah plus the tobacco based technology if it keeps up will cost more than a Rift :p

19. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

OHhhhhh.. K! Honestly iRacing have an incredibly good implementation I have to admit. The stereo-3D is perfect!
    Now we have two awesome car sims we can Rift in! I honestly hope the rFactor team can give us something just as good. The "zombie setup" isn't bad but it's not optimal at all if compared to a true implementation.

20. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Maybe silly question.
    If you use the SDK config to set your IPD does that mean any 'official' game would automatically use the setting (assuming built using latest SDK)?
    I've never set mine up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.