The Rig I Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

You can go lower in rF1 but it requires editing individual cam files. See my signature if you have it enabled.

2. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I´ll try to explain something i made with my bad english. This goona be hard catch and i fully understand if you ignore.
    How i setup my fov:

Well, my cockpit works like the real thing and my monitor the window to the virtual real thing(like that first picture from zeospantera tutorial), but generated by the software. In this window to virtual things, something of the real world appears on the screen because they are in my vision field. And that is the almost half of my steering wheel.
    So what i did: first of all change seat position front to back to 0 and i turned on sterring wheel on display menu.
    Lowered my eyes to the level of the top of my steering wheel and keep changing in game fov until i got the same size and align with cockpit (with seat position up/down) from the real steering wheel (my g27) with the steering wheel from flat land (my monitor as Carl Sagan would named it).
    I did this because the acuracy i would like to believe that skip barber has, and imagine that my wheel is the same size from real one of a skip barber. I look for the real size of skip barber steeringh on net but didn´t find to get that on my screen. In my case not a real problem since it seems very close to g27 in terms of size from videos i´ve seem. If i´m wrong, i think the skip barber steering wheel its just a little smaller.
    Its not the end. What i´ve got now is the steering wheel represented on screen on his real size, but my arms could not hold anything in flat land, if i can, just thrown my g27 away adjust my real seat and drive. The distance in my cockpit of g27 to screen is 24 cm. So i´m close to the perfect adjustment but i had to integrate both worlds and i will do this lowering a little bit my fov, because if i only just adjust seat position i get the wrong size (bigger) of the tachometer inside g27.
    How much shoul i low my fov now? I´ve do some tests in my car. The tachometer has 9,5 cm but stand in my driving position and measuring the tachometer size inside my wheel (18 cm distance to dashboard where tachometer stands) as if i am in 2 dimensions, the tachometer is about 2,5 cm shorter.
    If i know the real size of tachometer from skip barber it will be easy. Only need to adjust fov until the tachometer on screen has the same size of real one. But i´m using the wheel as reference point, and if on the screen i have equal size to g27, to bring this to the "real world" i must "pull" all that 24 cm, in my case, to my direction lowering fov until the wheel on screen its about 2cm larger than real one on each side (now don´t measure from top, use sides).
    Optically speaking, this give me the perfect sensation that my wheel is atached to the dashboard in my screen as you can see in this picture:

3. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I can upload and here is what happens when you apply all the maths to your FOV and screen positioning.
    [​IMG]

Also helps a great deal to get a larger wheel for a G27. Mine is only a 13.5" vs the original 11" but what a difference it makes overall.

ANOTHER http://i4.minus.com/ibqgirz8GK0oY1.JPG but blurry.

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

As soon as I get my t500rs (should be thursday), I'm gonna be playing with the FOV and trying to achieve the same lineament for the wheel and ingame wheel. My chair may not go down enough for it tho, but I'll sure try to mod the crap our of it to get there.
    Also ordered new GPU GeForce GTX 660 so my sim experience should rocket to a different religion when I'm done setting all that up.

6. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Very cool that but when i try your method i must did something wrong because the fov seems too low and with geogebra is too high. I´ll try to put in simple way what i told.
    Maybe adding one fov to another and dividing for 2. lol

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Ok, if don´t work (for you reading), probably its your fault.

1. In car, adjust seat position in whatever fov is now to 0 (front/back)

2. In settings menu, turn on steering wheel on display menu and try fov around 30 and 45 until you get the real size of the steering wheel (in my case i believe is the same of very close to logitech g27) align with the top of your wheel. You could do like i did or could put some (sorry, i don´t know the name) kind of paper cut of the size of the wheel and make then match changing fov.
    My way:
    http://i47.tinypic.com/28215kx.jpg
    sorry, i don´t have a rule and in this case i came to fov 40

3. Measure the distance from monitor to this place (on pic) on your whell were should to see the tachometer when look a little bit down. 24 cm to me
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2zywutj.jpg

4. Decrease 1 point on fov for each 3 cm you have from monitor to the wheel. In my case, 24/3 = 8 points. Fov was 40 and now goes to 32. (This what "bring" the wheel to fit in my logitech)
    About 2 cm past by sides.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/16nl1c.jpg
    http://i47.tinypic.com/10ge8sh.jpg

5. Align the top of your wheel were you think it should be in cockpit (use pictures of real cars if you want) and thats, hopefully, is that you want with steering animation turned off.
    http://i48.tinypic.com/33a6wzr.jpg

ps1:Also try one point above what the number you got, because a think the real scale 3,4 cm to 1 number in FOV.
    ps2: also change in plr default cam view pitch from 0 to 0.1

hope people try just to lnow if it works.

8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I think if that works for every one with cockpits that could be created one tool in game that when load an rfmod, in adjusts could be showed on half screen the real size of the wheel used by that mod and you could adjust fov to macth that real wheel with the wheel of the mod. You only have to "bring" lowering fov a little bit. The amount depends on distance of screen to the empty space of your wheel and no matter if your wheel doesn´t match in size of the real thing because both are circle and even if you driven an old openwheel car, the only problem that it is like you pimp your ride.
    You just need to enter the size of your screen and resolution i think and the tool, with information provided by the mod, make the virtual real wheel shape on your screen so you can match with your cockpit

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  9. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Really? Maybe i fail at comunicate what i think, my english really suck.
    I don´t know with are in the same area but, my screen is a lg 26". Wich means 58 cm width. Its larger than actual f1. So this part its perfect with 26 inches monitor and still space. With a 42 " monitor i think i could use a higher fov because if you want to simulate the cockpit in the screen must have to match with your wheel and you have more free area on the screen because of the sizeIf i´m playing in a movie screen and the cockpit is the size of war tank i won´t feel imersion. And thats why some people dont like lower FOV values because you loose field of view...( sorry my english again) wich its not the case who run triple screens.
    I think you talking about a white bowl i see one time wich the image was projected, but for driving i don´t need to be able to see if are birds flying right above me. I think this would be awesome for starting grids with grid girls surrounding me.
    I will find a video and post later.
    I don´t know what kind of rig you use and fov. Please, do you have a screenshot or if the method that i post it is something like yours?

10. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

See this video what a waste of screen (to us watching its sure very beautiful):

The driver almost can see the end of turns in just one monitor and i cannot believe he is seeing much things, if he is really concentrated in driving, than this setup of triple screens:

11. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Here what i´m talking:

This guy made a 69" screen projected and he is using FOV 70 and i think he didn´t need triple screens to see more than what he see now.

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Trust me. It is not your bad english that was all just really confusing.

in the IDEAL setup you would just have a wall of projectors covering 180°+ of your vision and you would sit in a real car chassis and look out through the windshield. The FOV (vertical) would be calculated for the screen height outside of you cockpit and that is it.

Like so...

[​IMG]

13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I think youre are using 27" screens. Do you mind to post a screen with fov at 34 or 35?

14. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Registered

Anyone seen this? http://www.motionsimulation.com/?page_id=1079

[​IMG]

Anyway, this is my simrig. It's still a work in progress but it is entirely functional. 4'x4', the interior dimensions match a MK4 VW GTI. The TV can be moved to the center for various other 2-player games. Otherwise, who wants to be my Richard Burns Rally co-pilot?
    [​IMG]

I have three 23" screens for my Eyefinity setup but they are currently in the house. I might move them to this setup at a later date. For the time being, the SimRig is out in the garage.

15. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Now, no.
    Zeospantera, one small screen lower fov keep it real and higher fovs distort the image?
    Wich Fov do you pick for that image you post?
    I think the size of the center screen will determinate the fov, not resolution as i thought. Don´t care about the other screens. Projecting in 180º is the biggest center screen.
    PMC, i didn´t understand much.
    Watch Carl Sagan explain about 4th dimension:

Now i´m sure. The fov is determinated by the size of center screen.

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

yeah man, i feel like an apple too ahahah

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

You base FOV on the center screen and assume the same distance for the adjacent screens. If your center screen was 40 inches away and the side screens were 20 inches away the FOV and perspective would need to shift. Not possible on current sim setups.

Why are we discussing this here? I have a thread full of crap for just this sort of thing.

THIS IS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE

18. PMC

PMC Registered

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Sorry not playing rF2 in this clip but it does show my setup in action.

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Feel free to ignore and put your links in to your signature so you can have all that crap in one place. Thats the place when probably i will get the answer for the questions i have made to you before. Wich i already know the know is that iracing has a utility to help people with diferent setups to calculate fov and here we have an thread full of crap in your signature.

Just asking people to try this way and compare with they actually fov value and see if that helps. Its only a number in settings wich can be reverted.