GT cars DESTROYED my F1 skill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hedlund_90, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Until a few days ago, the 1960's F1 was the only car I could drive (that I found fun to drive). But then I tried the Nissans, and god, they were so much more fun to drive than last time!! I got stuck and have been driving Nissans only for a couple of days. Nissan GTR and old GPL-nordschleife = awesome :rolleyes:

BUT, now I can't drive the F1's anymore! :eek: I tried Brabhams at Putnam park yesterday, and I could not stay on the road! "Maybe I'm too tired? I try today tomorrow" I was thinking. Today I've been driving Spark at Putnam for more than 10 laps and I didn't finish a single lap without visit the grass. Several times I spinned just because released clutch without enough throttle. I'm using H-shifter and heel-to-toe technique with Nissan GTR car too, but it's so much more important with these cars. It was disastrous and I'm shocked, and ashamed :eek: I couldn't even accelerate on the main straight!

What I want to say is now I really understand how f***ing hard this thing is to drive! And right now I could agree with anything bad F2chump said about 60's F1 cars, lol. And that's bad.

;)

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Don't give up! Putnam is a tricky course, too. Try to drive several laps within your limits and work your way back up. Also I recommend using the ghost to build up over several laps. Fun as hell.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Put eraser under the throttle pedal, so you don't get full throttle, you don't need full throttle with 60's cars, but with GT cars it is throttle to floor action constantly, so leg forgets that subtle dance of throttle you need with 60's cars and eraser under the throttle pedal makes it easier to adjust again.

Isn't it odd how car has no roof at all? Weird sensation.

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I like the idea of the chalk board eraser under the throttle, heheh, nice touch. I do have a question for you though, are you trying to say that cars have roofs?

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Some times I drive the classic F1 and I'm not a bad driver with them but I don't like them and I don't want to like them and I hate this 3d:p
    hihihi..just kidding:D

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Egg underneath throttle? Is it English expression?
    We use it a lot here for novices to learn how to drive in the wet.

8. liebestod

liebestod Registered

The good thing about the '60s cars is that you can be a terrible driver and they are still loads of fun.

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The eraser would be more of a throttle stop so you could never get to full throttle. With the egg, you could just break it and floor the pedal :)

10. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I haven't driven the 60F1 for yonks, as it's a waste of time.
    I don't mind the GT4, but the GTR is still rubbish....there's no reason the GTR should drive like crap just because of extra power{which you can modulate off the throttle}, same with 60F1 vs 60F2.
    rf2 will be about mods, as ISI seem intent on appeasing those who favour "hard to drive=realistic"

11. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

One way to get used to the power in the 60s F1 is the go to a wide track and attempt to steer almost exclusively with the throttle while using steering mainly for balance. Once u can do this comfortably then go to Feels3 version of Putnam without chicane and try to steer with the rear and if u get the rhythm just right it's a magical experience. I'm going to add this to the "how I love thee" thread.

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Actually I use sponge kind of thing under throttle pedal of my real car, cut out piece of mattress actually, but you get the idea.

It was around 70's gas crisis when all kind of fuel saving tricks were put to use, one of working ones was such, makes throttle pedal lot stiffer so it is easier to have steady throttle, saves fuel quite a bit for most drivers.

I'm constantly getting better than 60MPG with car that is rated worse than 40MPG, something different from racing which really does spoil my fast driving abilities.

I tend to also short shift those 60's cars, full throttle and high rpm are reserved for top gear,

Yeah, most cars, when it rains, you don't get wet ;)

13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you guys I'll make a new try today with an egg under my throttle pedal ;)

14. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Don't bother with open wheelers, join the GTR drivers! :D And don't listen to some chumps who are dissing the GTR, it is a very fun car to drive as opposed to the less powered cars (clios, meganes, GT4).

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Where did THAT come from? Truly hostile or just trolling?

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Hostile? Trolling? Abriel Nei? You must be jocking man..

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

He might even be joking :)

18. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

What part was so hostile in what I wrote? I just wanted to say that if he enjoys the GTR he should drive that instead of all the other cars (specially because there is not a lot online races with these cars). Also in my personal opinion the GTR is more fun to drive (even if some are saying that it is not) than the cars with less power. I also like the full range of setup options for GTR while other (clio,megane) have pretty limited setup options.
    I still cannot fully understand why there is so much love for the clios (or meganes) since that you can easily drive in real life (ok maybe not the pimped up racing edition but still). I mean isn't it more exciting to drive some really powerful cars (GTR, old and new formulas) that you probably will never drive in real life?
    But ok...to each his own. :)

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I guess Clios and Meganes are popular because they offer very tight, even races. They are easy to drive and you can concentrate on fighting your opponent. But that's not enough for me, I think it's more fun when you at the same time really struggling to keep your car on track.

I don't think GTR cars are so hard to drive either. Maybe they were before they got "fixed", I don't know. The Nissan 370z is really nice to drive. You won't just spin off track, it's really steady actually. Accelerating out from hairpins is quite easy. That is harder to do with the more powerful Nissan GTR. You have to be more careful with it. But in high speed the GTR is veeery steady on road. I constantly get surprised by how fast this car can go trough that corner! ;) But sometimes it looses the rear in high speed corners and then you are in trouble, because sometimes it is impossible to correct (Steering fully to the right but car continue to sliding to the left for example).

Anyway, 60's F1 is much harder to drive than this, and I know not many servers are running them. But I hope GTR cars get more popular. Yesterday I saw 20 people driving 370z at malaysia at least ;) I'm tired of all Megane servers

20. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

rf2 goes Gold when the modders decide to make it worthy.