4 years of what??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard P, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

How do u find this rfactor trainer? It's not in my car list

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

its in the third picture at initial screen.
    First is single player, second is online, third is modders work, or something like that. its in there.

4. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Actually everything K Szczech said is true, all the thing he mentioned are there.

5. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

i dont think they do produce the physics. im pretty sure what ISI produce for rfactor pro is a baseline, a modular thing, and f1 teams for example plug in their own tyre model.

i may be wrong.

6. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

not a very good argument really - i give specific reasons as to why rf2 is poor. all you say is 'you dont have any idea what you are talking about'

oh okay you win. is that what lawyers use in court?

7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's interesting, because tyre model itself is not only much more advanced but at current state also much better than what is in rF 1. Then, you have some updates to other areas of the simulation (some bug fixes, other things were improved). That already means, rF 2 is better as a platform.
    As for mods, well... now we get to the point, what you are looking for. If you look just for "nice feeling" then sure, rF 1 might be better! But if we talk about pure simulation quality, then it's not possible rF 1 can be better in that matter, because of before mentioned reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...
    ...and which are those "specific reasons"?
    Because I have no trouble with grip at low speed. "no slip angle"? Are you sure you know, what that actually means? Also, felling of weight transfer and oversteer is good too and all 3 steering wheels I have or recently had access to: G25, T500RS and CSW.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

It seems to me that RF2 simulates the point at which tires lose grip and allot of aspects better than other simulators , but it does not simulate cars very well when at the edge of the grip or over that grip and the car starts to slide or a slight wheel spin happens.

The issue with this is that when race driving that's where all the enjoyment and time is achieved in corners.

ISI for example could have tires that are 100% 1-1 with real world tires within the majority of the tire grip and performance envelope but if they cannot get the tires to behave right when at the edge of the envelope then it makes it a relitevly pore simulator for racing.

In RF2 and majority of RF1 its literately as if a flick is switched when you get into any skid however mild or if the back end steps out its as if it goes from quality modern simulator to 1990s simulator.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yeah, sure, I had a lot of fun going sideways on fully flooded go-kart track with amateur go-kart (9BHP or so) on full slicks, but I'm not expecting to get the same in any simulator. It's just impossible (as long as we want to be true to simulation). It just can't be done and that's the same for any other kind of racing out there, where you want to be around the limit.

So, when you compare real world racing to sim racing, I assume you are fully aware of limitation that will have significant influence on your racing experience in both worlds. So, are you?

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Nothing to add really, I rest my case sir!

11. Domi

Domi Registered

Well, for me the F1 shows (at least in the last build, I haven't tried in this one) that problem imo. Not only for me it seems:

He is one of the best drivers in iRacing, so surely he knows how to drive a virtual car.

You said that rF2 is technically superior to rF1; I would say yes it is, but it has to demonstrate that it really works. For me some cars don't feel really better than good rF1 mods, specially the modern open wheelers.

12. Domi

Domi Registered

They produce a graphic/physics engine, the teams can edit it (the physics engine) and put their own data inside. That's what I've heard.

13. doug484

doug484 Registered

I'm sure someone here can help me understand this: what is the point of all the discussion of "this is good" or "this is bad", as if it were the final conclusion, for an application that isn't finished yet? I don't get the purpose of the argument. This makes no sense - who cares what you think when the product will change before it is finished? (not trying to be rude; just realistic)

I've been a computer tech for 32 years. I work for a big tech company in Denver and I can tell you that the customer is NEVER right - the main reason is the customer only sees a tiny fraction of the whole of what is actually going on. They may think they see something wrong but there may be 17 reasons for why it is the way it is that the customer will never see or understand.

I can only speak for myself (though I bet/hope there are a lot of others like me) and say I am not going to form an opinion until it is done, gone gold release, or whatever you call it. I have been hanging around here for a long time because I enjoyed rF1. I am curious to see what is happening with rF2, and I am curious to see the progression of the beta. I wouldn't ever say one race sim is "better" than another, because how could anyone possibly design a "perfect" race sim?

I usually buy all the race sims and I am looking forward to all of the ones to be released in the next year or two.

1 person likes this.
  14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Amen brother. I've worked in the "service industry" my entire life and no truer words have ever been spoken:

The customer is never right.

From being a server in restaurants in college, to big box electronic stores, to computer tech work, to running my own little business.

The customer is born wrong; it's in their DNA :D

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Cant argue with this, and yes, the process of doing ANYTHING, cannot really be explained, as the parameters usually cannot be revieled as they are dependent of so many conflicting issues that arise usually on the way.

Furthermore if this process goes entirely public, there is the big risk of changing target because of strong public pressure, which really messes things badly for your work.

Although I suffer sometimes from this at my work (clients think they know so many things better than you), its tempting to try influence other peoples work with your priorities (we all know things better than the others, dont we lol).

16. Domi

Domi Registered

Sometimes the customer is right though :)

17. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

lol....there are tons of examples in every racing catergory - just go on youtube.
    you'll find plenty of videos of people in racing cars going sideways or correcting oversteer....... are you insane.

infact i'll go one better - heres a video of me driving, doing just that, on a wet track.

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

never happened to me LOL (wow, Im moddest, arent I)

19. Slothman

Slothman Registered

No...

The Customer is never right, you just have to make them believe they are.

If you achieve this, the customer goes away happy, even if they are completely wrong, as long as they think they are right :)

2 easiest comments for a sure fire sale and return support.

"Sorry madam, I think your knowledge has outstretched mine in that area, I will have to go an refresh my knowledge, thank you for pointing that out". Used when you have realized the customer knows NOTHING but this ego boost guarantees you a sale.

"Thats amazing sir, after you left I did the research and I tend to agree." Used when same customer brings back the part/item they insisted on because they knew better than you, and where wrong after all....never use I TOLD YOU SO as they will come back and keep spending money....

You cant fix stupid, but you sure can fleece em.

Disclaimer: Only ever use the above on the customer who maintains they are right, but honestly have no clue :)

As to the topic. Well I for one have seen heaps of improvement. Considering the full physics engine is not entirely activated yet (as far as I am aware at least there is still more areas to be finalized) I have already seen the improvements in areas that will be awesome. I wont comment on physics of a vehicle in an unfinished physics engine with an unfinished mod....

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I believe it is in every humans DNA, more we are influenced by our emotions more chance to be wrong, people buy things mostly based on emotions, when shopping hangover hits faults are found, but again people let their emotions guide decisions and emotions don't tell what really was fault, themselves wanting something so badly they forgot the facts.

Emotional influence is quite lot like getting drunk, so when people manage to avoid being led by emotions they can be more right, however it is not easy thing to do and most prefer easy things so there you have it, customers that will always be wrong, except them few rare ones.

I have been building many tires and even I have some vague idea there is still so much to learn that I even could not tell if there are fault or not and if it is my doing or model's doing, too much to learn.

What I have observed with my current tire version is that heat reduces grip very rapidly, but also heat builds up very rapidly, it might be because I did go for relatively soft rubber as I chose parameters by rubber that had certain shore value, ISI vehicles are all of such design that it should be fairly challenging to drive them sideways all day long, but with Megane I feel there is great control when powersliding.

At least I look forward to what is final tire model as there are still temporary parameters which probably will be removed when model becomes finalized.

With appropriate car it is very close, imo.

Someone mentioned Netkar Pro, I have it and I did test it recently, I took car that resembles Shelby (daytona)? It was not like I did remembered, car was almost impossible to spin, it kind of floated around the track, but I could not make it go at wild powersliding as it seemed to lack power for that. FFB was not as good as I did remember, bit vague perhaps, I remember flatspots being very clear, but latest version did not have such with that car.
    I feel weight transfer much better with cars that I'm working on in rF2 that I felt in that car, so either my memories were glorified or new version of NKP has FFB spoiled.

Realfeel and rF1 was really good, if set properly, also in rF2, setting force too high will probably result bad FFB, resolution of FFB in wheels is not enough, one can use only rather light FFB or loose some of the small things, of course too light will also make small things disappear, but with such subjective area it is quite difficult to tell what are reasons for very different experiences.

But if force is so high that wheel is difficult to turn when car is not moving, it is way too high and is loosing lot of FFB forces from my understanding.