Is there no interest in the 60's F1 cars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, May 26, 2012.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I can never find an online 60's F1 race. Certainly not one with any particpants. Is there just no interest in this series? It is my main (only) interest. I think the model is very well executed. The looks are great and the FFB feels very good, at least on my CSR non-elite. It is a challenge to drive but well worth it once you start to get a handle on them. For the 60's everybody seems to be gravitating to the F3 and F2. Come on guys, put your big boy pants on and jump in an F1! Get away from Monaco and Spa. The modern tracks are much more forgiving. I'm hoping to join a league that focuses on these but wonder now if such a league could get off the ground.

I just beat 20 AI at Malaysia, albeit at 80%. 10 lap race was quite a challenge. Took tons of race starts to finally do. Very satisfying but I want to race against real people.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When rf2 first came out everyone was hailing and talking about the historic f cars and the living raceline and rain/drying line. People discussing how amazing they were, youtube vids etc. Now its like noone cares anymore and everything is back to normal, ppl just wanting to drive modern cars, noone cares bout the rain/driving line anymore, noone cares bout the 60s f cars and 60s spa anymore. People are all talk.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Honestly the 1960s F1 scares me lo no joke the F1 at Belgium makes me nervous cause I drive in the cockpit at a almost perfect view and I find my self tensing up going around corners and lifting ALT where I know I can keep it floored!
    RF2 is still in Beta Mode- I know Alot of racers arent going to get the Beta, the want to wait till Gold is released, So that could be one reason for loose servers...

4. zack

zack Registered

the 60's F1 Spark is the only car for me in rf2 and i did hundreds of laps with it but on puplic servers are this cars imho to difficult for the most funracers,a wink and the race is over and it is a restartparty.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

wow that's so awesome, that's just what its like in real life bro, your trying to tell your foot to stay 100% throttle but it sorta can't stop itself from lifting, even if its just a tiny bit, very real immersion you got there, there's even been cases where engineers had to prove to their drivers on telemetry that they lifted because the drivers were sure they stayed 100% flat but they actually didn't.

Can we see some pics of your view? I'm assuming its a lower and straighter looking cam?...

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I LOVE the 60's cars, I pretty much only drivr the F1 car around spa

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Maybe the reason why people are no longer excited about rain\drying line\60's F1 cars is because it's all far from finished, even so far as broken at this stage. I don't want to drive something as hairy as the F1 car with tyres that don't heat properly etc. When it's all finished, I'll be all over it.

8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  9. _qq7_

_qq7_ Registered

I was running several laps and some race at historic SPA & 60's F1 but for me it is annoying to race always on the same track with the same car.
    Some friends of mine, instead, are bored to perfectly know the first half of the track and having viewed only few times the second half :) . Or ... 4 minutes each laps ... exit from pit, drive 4 min, start the first time lap, drive 3,5 min and ... crashed car! 7,5-8 min to have the first lap time.
    I think that for those reasons ppl are decreasing on those servers.

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Guys! You can race these at any track. At least off-line. And by all means GET AWAY FROM SPA AND MONACO. I've attempted about 100 laps at both of these tracks. Didn't crash maybe 20 times. Go to Malaysia, Portugual, Mills. Good modern tracks with wide smooth pavement, run-off areas and graval traps. You'll fall in love again with the old F1s!

I don't know if running these tracks with the old F1s is a problem with the rFactor2 hosting server system. I've never hosted a race or set one up. rFactor is all new to me. At most all I've done online is join a race that had like an hour of practice set up before the race. Really? You feel like a quick pick-up race and have to practice or wait for an hour? No thanks. I did a few laps then got tired of waiting and wandered off.

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Oh man I wish I could join you! But if I've got my time zones correct that will be like midday at my home. USA central daylight time. I'll be at work... unless I happen to get "sick" that day. cough! cough! By gosh I think my throat is getting a little scratchy already! ;)

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

These are the reason I love the 60's tracks so much though. I have ALWAYS wanted to race around the old Spa circuit (Yes, I know it was in GPL) but...I will NEVER forget the first time I approached Masta Kink with Jackie Stewarts words in my mind telling me THAT is the scariest corner in the world.

Just amazing, so immersive. I would love more old school tracks!

13. Mauro

Mauro Registered

here you can see the upcoming historic track :) http://youtu.be/KjQ_eo2zsl4

14. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I understand what you are saying. I love those old tracks too! I actually went to the Spa race last year and drove the old circuit! Well, most of it and only at 30mph but a thrill none the less! (I've got a video posted at Vimeo if you want to see it. https://vimeo.com/34591075 password=spa) Definietly a bucket list experience.

But as far as sim racing goes, if you restrict yourself to the old classic circuits you'll run out of tracks pretty quickly. I'm a 10 year GPL veteran. We ran just about every track out there just to keep it new and interesting.

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Old monza <3! I just want to blast around all the old tracks feeling unsafe and on the edge...

Ricknau, I REALLY want to travel around the European tracks of note. Spa (old, just drive the roads), Zandfort, Nordschlief, Assen (mainly because it would be in the vicinity) places like that.

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

You're a lot closer than me! Just do it! Non historic race fans have no idea of the phychic/emotional connection derived from standing (driving) on the pavement of these old circuits. I maximized my European trip with visits to Rouen and the Ring also.

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I just watched that video of yours. It gave me goosebumps as you indicated into the Stavelot curve......just...the thought on THAT tarmac what used to happen, who used to drive it. I honestly find it a tragedy that these tracks are lost to history. If I had my way they would be fenced off as hallowed ground.

Is it a little crazy that the track was left by F1 17 years before I was born but I still think it is an amazing place?

18. pn6

pn6 Registered

I agree with you Rich............Rick, glad you got as far as you did.....sounded like that guy who stopped you didn't know he was standing on an old race track!

Paul

19. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

F2/F1 suck hard at spa, F3 is okay, but the F1 is nuts, way too much tankslapper physics going on.
    unrealistic diff will result in a lack of interest, not sure when dev's are going to wake up to this concept.

20. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

I'm liking the 60s cars also, but I play almost only in singleplayer so you won't see me online yet.. frankly I just feel like I'm an obstacle for other drivers if I go online.