Is there no interest in the 60's F1 cars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, May 26, 2012.

1. thuGG

thuGG Registered

What times do you guys do in F1 (Eve, Spark) at Spa? I did 3.30 in Eve (practically default setup, 5th gear longer) on build 49, no rubber on the track.

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I haven't played with F1 for a while, more F2 and F3. But I have 3:30 in Spark, and 3:26 in EVE. But I want to believe I can beat them with a few seconds now when I am getting better and better :)

3. osella

osella Registered

I once did 3:24, no idea how though, when I tried recently I couldnt get under 29, it requires lots of laps in one day to get there again.

I saw some alien do 3:20.

4. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

I do 3.18 and i'm not alien, I saw 3.14 that is alien

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Wut? How on earth can you chop off 15 secs? I believe I could chop 5s by playing with setup and just better driving, but another 10s? How much rubbered track is worth here?

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The rubber is worth a lot. You can easily lose a couple of seconds in all of the long fast curves if you're driving on a green track.

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Well, next time I'll put a few AI's on track:) So far I drove only on green track.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

:)

View attachment 2604

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Why do you have to have such an abrasive tone? "Talking ****"? I'm obviously succeeding in driving these much more than you are and tried to give some friendly advise. Your driving problem is textbook beginner issue. While i don't totally discount your theory of an imperfect model, I'm having trouble seeing it as the sole reason why you cannot control the car. And as i try to emphasize, i cannot claim to know how a 60s F1 should behave. But it SEEMS natural to me and in line with my sim experence. This does make me question somewhat how you can be so self assured in knowing how a 60s F1 car should handle, to the point of calling the perceived inaccuracy absurd.

10. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Forget handling...I can deal with handling, I can't deal with an absurd POWER/TORQUE spike that flings my car across the track.....now, I don't have this problem with any other other car, the FISI is also damn peaky but I can control it, so once more with feeling, it's the power spike I'm mainly concerned with, and I cannot believe anyone thinks it's normal....but that's fanboys or difficulty fanatics for you.

11. osella

osella Registered

That "absurd power/torque spike" is part of the handling too, you can't separate handling from engine. A mini is a typical small car with good handling, but put a 600hp engine into it and it has terrible handling. I'm leaning to agree with Ricknau and others on this one, it just seems you have too heavy right foot :) And as you might know from other threads, I'm hardly a fanboy (for ex. I HATE the shaking of my g25 so much I don't play the beta anymore).

GaetanL - lol 3:14 now THATS alien. Kinda as crazy as 7:15 on nordschleife in GPL, some people will always find a total crazy way of driving and get many seconds before "healthy fast" people, no matter what sim!

12. jjcook

jjcook Registered

i agree - you dont need to be so abrasive- i'm not a fanboy or a difficulty fanatic either- in fact i do have a few issues with these cars but know isi is working an update

What power/torque 'spike' are you referring to? i dont see a spike when i use these and can use full throttle to the max rpm anytime the wheels are pointed straight- in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear that will break the rear wheels loose as the power overcomes the tires and chasis' ability to maintain traction- theres no downforce to help it-

i think what people are saying and real accounts would agree that these are very difficult cars to get the power down and manage the huge power to weight ratio-

If by 'spike' - do you mean the 'power band' between 9 and 10,000 rpm's?(eve) - thats what that is - the power band or max bhp
    - 1st 2nd and 3rd gear will break the rear wheels loose and you need to either lay off the throttle or shift up a gear when it happens- otherwise from the laps i have run- the throttle can stay open full on any straight line -

i ran some laps at malaysia last night to confirm it- every straight i put my foot to the floor and the car only breaks loose in the lower gears- when it does i upshift- the only spikes i see are when i go over a bump at full throttle and the wheels lose grip as a result = spiking the rpm's-

so i have no idea what you are even speaking of- i dont get the same results as you; if in fact you are having an unrealistic power spike - i cant replicate the problem-

people are trying to help you come to terms with a car you dont seem to have much patience for and doubt any experienece with -

- you can change your name now to 60's f1 hater if you like but any more "*****" i'll have to report you to the admins- theres no need and no place- relax-

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

So I thought I'd check out if there is such a torque spike in the engines. I extracted the engine files from the MAS files (turns out both EVE and Spark have identical files in the team's MAIN.mas. I opened the engine file in Physics Editor, and here are the power and torque curves.

View attachment 2614

Yellow is the torque curve, red is the power. Personally I can't locate a spike there, so something else must be going on. =/

14. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I also checked the HDV files of the cars. All of the cars do indeed use the same engine files, and have the following multipliers:

GeneralTorqueMult*=0.978
    GeneralPowerMult*=0.975

In SPARKF1.HDV it's commented, // Simulate small amount of friction and non-optimal conditions (engine wear, etc)

So the cars use the same engine, with the same power and torque multipliers. Same engine in every car. There are naturally suspension, gearing, aerodynamics, perhaps even tyre differences, but the engines are equal.

15. jjcook

jjcook Registered

-nice- you can see the 'power band' in the graphic from 9 - 10,000 rpms.

i suppose they are both meant to be ford DFV V8's? although the spark looks similar to a brabham and the eve like a lotus - without liscencing i suppose we dont know what they are meant to simulate unless isi says something about it at some point- one of my gripes with this mod is that they are not liscenced but i suspect thats easier said than done- gpl did it for everything but the honda

well modders will fix that im sure

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Yeah, max power is at 9,000 rpm and going steadily down from there. =)

The engine file is named MSDFV_engine.INI, so yeah, it's a DFV. Oh, and GPL also missed Cooper, which was portrayed as the Coventry.

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

There are fewer than thirty men in the world qualified to drive Formula One; a mere half-dozen, perhaps, to win.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

^ Grand Prix 1966 :p

20. jjcook

jjcook Registered