Is there no interest in the 60's F1 cars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, May 26, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Im too but dont this make you not go online. Fast drivers like obstacles, they test their reflexes. (and Im testing their nerves lol)

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

F1 is indeed scary but insanely rewarding after you learn it. F3 imho is a bit too slow for a track like that, they're a better fit for Monaco. F2 is probably the best compromise overall.

Really looking forward to the update, if the results of the FR 3.5 update are anything to go by we're in for a treat.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Online I am tankslapper, and I do test my nerve, I push and push till I feel the car oversteping, the new build has got me really frustrated tho, in the meganes especially. The new build is crazy for me I am so less confident infact I found a whole bunch of people I used to fly by competing very hard with me and its probably due to the new tyre heating issue which I have to get used to, now I am cycling my LCD menues alot more frequently to see whats happening with my car. I can honestly say burning your tyres round corners wounds you for the next corner or few corners, using a loose but grippy suspension setup can realy upset your car beyond recovery, it feels good but when your cars gone it almost feels like theres no catching that back end without slowing your car down drastically.
    ANyway had some lovely graphical experiences in F1 66 round spa at 8.30am just beautiful but only in SP, I had everything maxed including HDR and just looks amazing but playabilty and commitment to corners is different, I feel faster going into a corner but also feel slower coming out of a corner. All my setups require a massive corner exit rebuild. I like the grip as it feels like you can test it alot more but should you get near the edge on exits you may aswell book a hospital bed.
    I am starting to get used to it but no longer am I a podium competitor.

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

There probably going to address this problem in the new F1 66 update, no worries yet,.
    F1 66 is not that bad but while racing the cpu and for once I felt an F3 challenging round corners it was on my ass untill a longish straight, infact I felt clausrophobic and it forced me to make crazy mistakes unsettling my car.

5. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

No different to 95% of the guys out there.

6. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Okey good point nikos. It's just that when you enter an online race you have to wait a long time for the race to start at which time I spin out on the first lap anyway, I might aswell train offline until I can complete laps without being a coward with the accelerator, especially the F1 cars are murdering me in the corners when I put the metal down, even driving straight is difficult lol :)

I like the F3 cars tho, the reason I suck with F1 is probably because I've tried them the least, I'm pretty efficient megane driver honestly, I might even finish not-last !

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

That it doesn't knock the car offline simply by applying the throttle is one of it's greatest strengths.
    I'm never going to try and master any car I deem extremely difficult, so I hope ISI can make the F1 more realistic...F2 is okay at other tracks, but a nutter at spa IMO.

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm obviously not an expert on real world feel of any race car, especially a 60's era F1 car, but all it's reactions seem natural to me. And they match fairly well (and improve upon) my sim experience with GPL 67 mod. Yes the cars are touchy. The challenge is to contol it. And it can be done. I'm not sure about "unrealistic diff". Not seen any threads complaining about it. I just set mine fairly forgiving, 10 power, 20 coast, and adapt to it. My only wish is that there were more selections for fine tuning the diff.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The grip is somewhat low currently, like it was in each and every car before the updates. Cold tyres have little grip after all. They'll get better as the tyre model is finalized.

Still, the 60s F1 cars definitely were beasts to drive. Take the Lotus 49 for example. The engine produced over 400 bhp (410 bhp was the most common figure I saw) and weighed a bit over 500 kg (530 kg being most common figure I saw), giving the car a power to weight ratio of around 750-800 bhp/ton. They had no wings, spoilers or diffusers, no ground effect, no downforce, and actually produced quite a bit of lift at high speeds (even the first wings weren't really meant to push the car to the ground, they were mainly for removing lift). They ran on treaded tyres hard enough to last for a whole season for some teams (tyres were pretty appalling until softer slicks started to appear in road racing in the early 70s, before that they were mainly limited to drag racing). Most modern common road tyres likely have better grip than the racing tyres of that time.

In short, there is absolutely nothing that suggests that they were in any way easy to race. They probably shouldn't be quite as slippery as they're now, but getting the tyres warmed up should help quite a bit. Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with their handling. They're sharp, accurate, and respond excellently to all controls, not just the wheel. Feathering the throttle is a must, you can only really mash it in higher gears, but they never spin without any reason. When sliding they do behave like they're on cold tyres (which they are, should work better after the updates), and it's easy to go over the limit, especially when there's so much power and so little weight on the bad, cold tyres. I don't really think the amount of grip needs to change that much, it's enough if they behave more progressively on the limit of grip (the FR 3.5 got this in the update, so I'm hopeful), so that small slides aren't as scary anymore.

And about the F2 on Spa, true, you need to rein it in once in a while, taking corners easier than you'd perhaps like to, whereas with the F3 you can pretty much mash it around the whole course. Still, the F2 really isn't bad on Spa if you don't drive it like a lunatic. The engine is more than capable of producing speeds that will pass the cornering capabilities of the car, so you need the brakes too. =)

10. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

It's not slippery though, it's when you try and "apply" the throttle, you get a tankslapper effect thru the chassis and this moves you all over the shop.

11. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Actually I shouldn't say they're not slippery, cause the F1 at Malaysia sux hard, but I don't mind F2/F3 at malaysia.
    FYI, I'm interested in racing sims, not difficulty sims.

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I think the F1 car (60's) is amazing. Fells a little loose, but its amazing fun to drive.

13. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Nope, not interested in open wheelers in general. I'm more interested in GT cars. Then again, I haven't really tried the 60's cars much. I could do without them, but it's nice to have them.

14. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

we run an F3 League the reason we choose the F3 is that you can pretty much Drive them flat out meaning everyone moves around the track at the same time and there are less crashes due to people unable to control them

15. osella

osella Registered

Exactly.

People talk about how they like challenges all the time and most of them lie intentionally or unintentionally. It was the same in rf1 even. Theres a historic mod with 600hp coming? Great! Targa florio? Great! And 2 weeks after release everone is back driving modern f3 at some silly easy track.

Honestly I expect the same with our 1937 mod, now lots of people are expecting lots of fun from it but 1 year from now and there wont be too many regular players because it is very hard to drive (GPL is joke compared to it).

And the weather, another proof. I expect 95% of severs in the future to only contain perfect sunny conditions.

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Well, I love old style cars and tracks. Modern car & tracks in games are ten a penny..... played enough, give me something old (but new lol)

17. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm just the opposite. If it's too easy I become bored. I don't want it unrealistically difficult (which honestly, I'm not qualified to judge) but I thrive on the challenge. And if it's too easy it becomes harder to separate those who did their homework from those who just stolled in on test day. A good test is designed so everyone doesn't get an A.

Really?! I'm having a blast with F1 at Malaysia! Again, I love the challenge and I've become better after many hours of racing the AI. I can beat them (well, I beat them once... finally) at 80% and will soon up their talent level (and my own skill level in the process).

Yeah, if you don't like to work for it then you've made the right decision to shy away from 60's F1.

===========

I hope there will be enough interested people out there to cobble together a 60's F1 league when rF2 is finished.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  18. rer8

rer8 Registered

I have loved these cars since GPL. I have driven more that 600 laps at Spa in the rF2 F3, F2, and F1. I recommend starting in the F3. Lap times vary but you should be able to drive consistent laps in the range of 4:40 to 4:25 before moving on to the F2. The guys online with the fixed setup for the F3 are teaching drivers how to drive the cars as well as Spa. By the time you can drive 5 laps in the F3, at speed, with no crashes, you will be ready for the F2. You won't be able to take the majority of the turns at full throttle like the F3, but you will know the track well enough to survive. You will also have developed the concentration required to maneuver the car through this demanding circuit. Finally you get to drive the F1 car. By now you probably will have at least 2 to 300 laps at Spa.I think that I had at least 20 laps at Spa in the F1 before I completed a full lap at speed.

This game and track do an excellent job of demanding concentration, accuracy, and aids in developing the necessary skill to negotiate this thrilling ride. I suggest you set your game to invulnerable so you can dust yourself off, and try again when the track and/or car defeat you. It is not all bad. ISI has some humor here. The cows moo, and the horses nay.

I fly professionally. Simulators are routinely used to develop, and maintain the necessary skills to operate aircraft. Again ISI has set before you an opportunity to learn how to drive and improve your concentration skills, all in an exciting Belgian circuit called Spa. Enjoy!

19. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

You are kidding right?
    There was probably less than 30 people in the world during that era capable of driving the F1 cars at full race speed.
    You think they should reduce the difficulty so its like driving a modern day road car or something? The F3 is okay? Why, because you can keep the throttle pinned around the entire course?

Go play need for speed or something, you don't seem to be into racing sims.

20. zack

zack Registered

F1 in spa, no aids with clutch and set autoblip/lift in plr file to 0,then you understand a bit what these men were heroes for. :)