How track should look like

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alesi, Apr 24, 2012.

1. djt

djt Registered

So is the response that the final version of pCARS or iRacing (which already has excellent physics) can't match or become better than rFactor, mostly from people who don't even have either one installed on there computers to begin with.

I used to hear this same excuse about Simbin's re-runs also (“there's no place like home, there's no place like home”) and they were left in the dust a long time ago.

2. Gaz Mclean

Gaz Mclean Registered

Iracings physics are similar to rf2s and has a very good if not the best ffb.

This is not an opinion its a fact

3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

It's a fact to you. For me when i read it back, it's your opinion and one you are perfectly entitled to but it's not a fact. IMO NetKar has far better FFB than iRacing and in turn i think rF2 has better FFB than NetKars, but it's not a fact

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I can now see I'm getting trolled here so this will be my last post unless someone shows a thesis on their facts. ;)

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Fact is, its a very nice time for racing sims, a time I was very much afraid that would end soon after xboxes etc. and all I hear about it, is, mine is better than yours.

6. Gaz Mclean

Gaz Mclean Registered

Im gonna keep stum about the graphics till the final version is released, but then it will be too late to get my money back for the beta if it dont meet my expectations. ive seen that mod of croft in development and it looks stunning, better than anything thats currently released so there is hope

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

iRacing ffb IS THE WORST that i have ever tested in 13 years of simulation experience!it's so flat and uncommunicative that remind me GT5!

8. djt

djt Registered

That's still not out of the realm of possibilities.

In addition to my PC racing sims I also have Forza 4/XBOX 360 and GT5/PS3 along with a Fanatec CSR Elite wheel and pedals. Forza4 and GT5 have become scary good for being just console games. The graphics are better than most PC sims and it's not hard to imagine the physics reaching what we've seen from PC racing sims if they wanted to.

The big advantage is how well they run, consistent stutter-less 60 fps at 1920x1080 resolution on what is considered weak hardware specs compared to what we have available for the PC.

It's amazing what you can do when the software (game) is properly optimized for the hardware.

9. djt

djt Registered

Sure it is, what are you playing it with a game pad, lol.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

No,i'm playing it via telepathy!:rolleyes:

11. djt

djt Registered

Looks like another thread here turned into a boob feast, lol.

12. RafBR

RafBR Registered

Yes ISI! Tire Model! Tire Model! Tire Model! :D

13. Bart S

Bart S Member

I want to semi withdraw one of my previous statements about graphics, after installing new nVidia drivers last week it seams my nVidia CP settings where lost which I only realised tonight after slating rfactors jaggies on white road markings. Well once I put everything right I feel an idiot altho not perfect its pretty spot on.
    OK so yet again after a megane ISR bumpercars session with people that have no idea where there car is on track and drive straight into you I thought thats it I had enough. I decided to try something new tonight. I am going to sample all the current rFactor delights available to me.

So I setup my own single player megane race at Portugal 20 laps, 20 AI and 100% difficulty. I also wanted to try day to night transition so I set time at 4.30am and time acceleration 20x. I also wanted to appreciate HDR which is not possible with multiview so I turned that off and straightened up my triple monitors flat and set in FullHD. Then I wanted to have the weather simulation also so I setup scripted and it started sunny -> cloudy -> rain -> partial sunny and cloudy - sunny.

I started the race with a field of view of 24 and I was at the back of the grid, all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW no other game can come close to this I was just swollowed up by the atmosphere, serously guys it was a different game entirely the cars looked huge but correctly proportioned with my headlights shining upon them, the heat haze was rising out of the back of them and smearing the start lights that where on the distant horizon. Vroommmm of we went the track was green and unspoiled in this new perspective I could actually see the detail in the road I was dreaming of seeing before, alright it wasnt like mega specularity sharp but it looked good.
    The lights turned green and off we all screeched hammering down the long bumpy straight to the first difficult right corner, at this point I already knew my match was met they where round there so much quicker than me, every corner I turned I could see there tyres deforming infront of me but they had some serious grip better than me accelerating away further and further every after every apex. I realised at this point I'm probably carrying to much fuel I just couldnt get the traction down.
    Half a lap later the sky started changing colour going into an orangy horizon as I was turning direction the HDR effect at this point hit me the darkening and brightening that was a real WOW. So almost a full lap round and on the start straight they where pretty much leaving me behind, at this point on the bumpy straight I really noticed my lights on the road and I could see the undulation of every bump I hit with a nice hint of specularity.
    Half way round the second lap and the next effects really got me again the sun shine was intermittent through the trees flashing away at my car interior and dashboard then I was driving past wire fencing and that too was giving me a beautiful effect on the car interior. I have to stop now else I'm going to get a semi on, I will go bed tonight and only be thinking and dreaming of where I just was, the graphics are not as bad you all think try my setup to every detail if you have a GTX680 and triple screens, you can expect 30fps +.
    IMHO I don't know what to suggest to make it better some more shader work maybe on surfaces and we are going to have a beautiful game here.

Single player is underrated in my opinion and really shows of the possibilites for all you die hard online fans.

14. djt

djt Registered

But Bart what other games have you tried lately? What else do you have to compare it to?

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

No I have to admit I am die hard rfactor but again what other game simulates day to night, weather, track rubbering. Its all in the changes in enviroment, I felt in that megane what it feels like when I set off in the morning at 5am on a 3 hour car journey in my beamer to wherever I got to work. Your right tho djt, maybe I should try pCars for the graphics but I like realism and simulation I dont think I will get that with pCars as yet. With Iracing its also a possibility but I gotta get my sim rig built before I commit to a career on there, I've a feeling I will have to go pretty serious and focused for that as its career based, point awarded and more depth in competition in a sense it matters more there than in rfactor as there is no online career mode. Shift not tried it, not my kind of game, its got to have physics as the base of immersion for me. I'm a dad of a 2.5y/o and time is not on my side to spend trying different games. I know and trust rfactor but yes I want it better graphically even the physics I think can do with some improvement in certain areas with the FFB.
    BTW I am a race motion sim builder so everything I look for is physics first.

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

And what then? You will wake up in a year with question "can we get better gfx"? We are on development stage - it's better to make requirements clear right now, than after gold.

17. djt

djt Registered

Actually there's more than a few out there and I'm not just talking about racing sims or just PC games either.

I highly recommend trying them Bart. We also have Assetto Corsa to look forward to which combines an up to date DirectX 11 game engine with the already excellent physics that we've seen from netKar-pro.

I've got Shift but I highly doubt that's going to appeal to you, great graphics/performance, poor physics.

As far as the sim rig goes I'm thinking about putting something like this together next myself -

http://www.virtualr.net/mikemavs-simulator-wheel-review-more

18. djt

djt Registered

I think the only way we're going to see that happen now with a small company like ISI is some kind of pre-pay setup so that money (a lot of it) can be generated for the cost of a new game engine license and further development.

Something similar to what pCARS is doing.

I can't speak for every rFactor fan but I know I would be willing to shell out as much as $75+ for a racing sim that combines the excellent physics that we know ISI is capable of along with an up to date game engine.

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

At the end of the day what gives you the most faith, now think about it, then think what do f1 drivers use, now tell me your answer.

Maxym I agree with you but you are so very critical of everything rfactor what are you doing here? You are a graphics boff more than a true sim fan, upgrade your gfx card before you post anymore comments try my setup then please come back to me. I can imagine you have like 5fps, you always complain and are in conflict with what everyone says, I have a bare few requirements that doesnt mean I will settle for less than realistic graphics, you are here and therefore I know you love the game and the graphics meet you half way atleast. ISI has took the route of doing what it does best PHYSICS, dont you thing they they did this beta for reason and direct to the public rather than using an outside web expert source. I hardly think a 7+ year company from the first product would think cash in and do one. Your already helping them finance what they need help for, don't forget ISI released rfactor 2 beta with all the stuff you love about sim racing already there thats the thrill of racing pure on the edge with fantastic physics. All this stuff must of already been paid for before beta release, ok now thing what you got at release when you put your money in along with the other 1000 rf die hard community members, I bet you can picture a few $100,000, now the team diserve a payout ok they get that, I think the rest of the investment is going to go into aquiring the talent that does the end product and thats graphics with the extended features that no other sim can offer you.
    Maxym I appreciate your concerns for graphics are great but I dont think I will ever see you on pCars as much as I would on rFactor for any period of time, you know what you like and you don't need me to emphasise that for you. The software and engine of the workings is there, I actually understand all your criticallity is aimed to make the sim better graphically and I also think it will come anyway, without your input, its pretty much just graphics rF needs to improve on hence I think they rolled out the beta at a cost rather than free for feedback to get the money to pay for the graphics.
    As a programmer I understand theres certain things you can do to produce the product that works as expected, if someone wants the icing on the cake which graphics are they have to pay for it and it can cost up to double because it has to work exactly right, no cut n shut, its the same in every business. pCars have got you on board because of the graphics fair enough thats a team of designers that know what sells visually once I got past that and things dont work right I'm gone, you need the engine beneath the beast, in rf you know when you made a mistake the second you saw a dip in the road, gas it and thought I shouldn't of done that in spares of microseconds because your going to end up loading your tyres all wrong and spinnning off, the game is way more advance than pCars. I wouldnt be surprise if they drop there entire physics engine to start in another direction, again they probably know what they doing and have history but only with what sells a game initially, you can go a long way with programming only to discover SH*T this is totally wrong direction I need to rewrite the base to accept what I want it to do and you should know that, I think physics are way harder than graphics to make right.
    Graphics theres only so much you can do with AA, then its like real life camera effects and shaders on top of what you have already, if you ask me rF and ISI probably thought F*CK that leave it to the end just add it on to wha we got. Where as pCars probably think we can do this and we can do that with graphics and all they give you each weak is new cars, that enough to make you think yeah I got a new car to play with but it will last you 5 min before you are borred because you can pretty much script the behaviour if you are a clever gamer. Infact pCars is a GAME rFactor is a SIMULATION do you not agree. When pCars has 4-5 years of physics behind them and feedback from committed dedicated members they will progress.
    RFactors graphics at release where pretty much the bees knees and you can expect the same this time round, after what I have seen tonight I have firm believe I could produce a video with better driver/race feel than you would get graphically out off pCars.
    I havn't even mentioned iracing I think thats an entirely different market if your willing to go with the different payment expense type, GTR3 speculation right now and so is AC.

20. Bart S

Bart S Member

BTW djt, thats not a simulator its mearly eyecandy it can't nearly produce half of what you can get out of a sim.
    Here take my word for it join this site, if your serious it requires alot of dedication and could take upto a year for you to settle on whats right for you, if you need any help give us a shout. http://www.x-simulator.de.
    I've been at it nearly a year and half collecting parts, speculating and now I am programming my own motion simulator.
    Its a fantastic site, it will open your eyes into a whole new world of simming, never mind graphics anymore, this is experience at a primery level of racing.

And RafBR a few posts above has a lovely little simulator thanks to that site too.