Managing Content for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Dec 13, 2011.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Out of curiosity--not trying to incite or imply anything with these questions: Who is the mod testing group? People at ISI? Users of the mod-maker's choosing? Anyone and everyone?

What do they test for? Can they reject a mod or only suggest changes?

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

So from the sound of it if you want to create a mod useable online in any way you HAVE TO go through the entire process and get a submitID in matchmaker in order to do so. Making every mod created automatically available to everyone on matchmaker. I like this idea. Having someone make a great mod and allowing access to it for only for a handful of members in private forums has always irked me. My issue is when someone is beta-testing a mod will they be able to do it in multiplayer or only single. You don't want 10,000 people getting hold of a mod that is not finished.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

My concern as a modder would be, how users are to initially find, download and install a MOD, as ISI obviously are aware of, promoting your work, getting feedback and having users follow a project in progress as WIP is pretty important to keep up motivation and to secure a thoroughly de-bugged MOD.

So my question would be, what is required to obtain a new MOD ? Must the client start by downloading the MOD from whatever source the creators desire - being a website, forum or other ? Will it just be one-click-installs from a blurry list of available MODs from inside the game ? Or worst case scenario, an automated download process whenever you enter a server utilizing content you do not already have installed ?

In the end, what feeds a modder to keep his/her motivation and creating new content IS the feed-back...

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ok here are my thoughts...no real reasoning just thoughts.

- blakboks I am ASSUMING here that by Mod Testing Group they are referring to the actual mod teams themselves. So you get a MODID, and while in development you can keep it "locked down" until ready for release. IF you want to release it when finished you than obtain a SUBMITID which make it open to the community as a whole.

That is an AWESOME idea. Questions open up like does a complete mod NEED to be submitted if it will be used for private use? Will no submitted mods have limitations on effectiveness (producing race data for example)? ISI have already said you can use the "auto update" or a manual install system...so it MIGHT be possible.

The other thing I noticed was the Virtual Components. So a Mod team could use another mod teams model....unmodified. That I find extremely interesting. It means other teams could use models from another mod by POINTING to it, which MIGHT give credit to that team....dont know..another question.

That could be good or bad...depending on your stance.

Either way my comments here and only thoughts and guesses...nothing more...it opens up more questions...questions I cannot WAIT to answer for myself.....looks very promising....I just saw all sorts of goodness for the future.

5. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong Registered

This is what I don't want to see.

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I am hoping all this makes "all cars all tracks" a viable option for groups with the same mods. Nothing like everyone you know taking their all time favorite car to a fun run. Mazda 787B's and 69 Corvettes and Mini Cooper Rally cars and Formula Fords and CORR trucks all just cruising down a long stretch of road. Brings a tear to my eye.

7. WiX

WiX Registered

"Mods can be created from scratch or by combining existing components created by other content creators."

This is indeed a modders worst nightmare.
    Would this not create a state where people would start considdering " Ripping " an ethical thing to do.
    I would also think you would get an enormous amount of people who would start making cocktails of other peoples work, and call it mods.
    Not that it would be the biggest crime on earth, but when you worked 3 years on a scratch build mod, it does make you think.

8. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

Thank you for publishing the content management

9. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ripping no...giving CREDIT for that work ....yes. I personally have less of an issue where permission is asked for, given and than credit and recognition provided than I do for people "ripping" modifying and releasing as their own....I reckon most would agree there (of course there will be those that know psot saying, just leave my stuff alone...but if only given those two scenarios I think most would agree).

Due to the "its mine not yours" that went on (some justified, some not so justified) some Mod teams became very "closed" and unhelpful. Its that mentality that MIGHT make "sharing" backfire.

Again...lots of questions that need answering...I am also guessing this is what the Open Beta will be primarily testing which is why it got released.

To be honest....lots of potential......I am REALLY interested in this...cant wait to see what it brings to the table and the way it is plated up....

Anyone else getting hungry?? :)

10. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Does this mean:
    1. That there can not be online usable mod created with only cars. There must be at least 1 track also in a mod? Where this track comes from if modder do not want/can not create one?
    2. That only tracks from this one mod are available for racing to cars from this mod. I.e. F1 1966 cars can not race on a modern Estoril track, or Meganes can not race on historic Monaco track?

11. Grubby

Grubby Registered

You really know how to draw a crowd Gjon, at one stage today there was over 220 viewers in this forum. Lol

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

They would still need YOUR mod completely and if someone wanted to make say an ALL NSX mod that dragged together every type of NSX from 20 different mods it would be feasible, but only possible if the person downloaded fully all 20 mods to gain access to all the individual cars.

They won't be pulling your mod apart and doing anything.. It will just point and say.. TAKE THE NSX from the WSGT2 Mod and the NSX from the Japanese Super Street cars Mod and the .....

They would still need all the mods.

EDIT: I would love an All Ferrari's ever made mod playlist...

I am very sure this is not what he meant. Just that you will create your mod account when you start on A car or A track and that if you want to create a RACE SERIES you will need to define the tracks that go along with that series. You don't need to make them just point out which are in that particular series.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  13. yugo23

yugo23 Registered

In case that original creators of a certain mod need to give their approval when their mod is virtual component of another mod there is nothing to worry about. I just hope that ISI has implemented mechanism that new mods can not get SubmitID while there are still uncofirmed virtual components in it.

14. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

I wouldnt be to quick to say this, unless its straight from the horses mouth.

For me, all the different mods are like paintings, I wouldnt like it to be thrown around, washed out, and cropped to suit a gallery in which it doesnt belong.

15. Grubby

Grubby Registered

people mix and match mods now for there own leagues, we just dont know about it, this way we will.

That's the only difference I can see.

16. theother5

theother5 Registered

Within this system, is there was a way that locks in credit to the original creator of a component in any subsequent use?

Would this alleviate the annoyance of those pissed off with other claiming their work?

Slothman and Arnold's arguments above for example ... could this answer yours' and others' concerns?

On a wider note. .... we the general community have a role to play here a little too. If we become aware that a modder has effectively taken another persons work without permission, we should do the right thing and highlight this as a problem at least.

To do this, we would need to know who the original creator is however, so could there ever be a list of original creator components and mods made available somehow.

Now, it seems to me that modders should acknowledge that by making their work public, that decision brings with it the implication that it can be used by others. However, the principle of crediting others for their work should also be a defacto standard expectation of everyone.

I'm not a modder [I wish I had the skills] though I really appreciate the work and I want to support the community here.

OK, I cannot contribute code or working examples to help address this but I am one a many drivers in the community who do care about trying to do the right thing.

17. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Same here, need to have answers on these following quoted points.
    Because, if I decide to make a mod with only one car, I don't want to limit it to one track, and in the tests phases I have to test in online with the only limited beta testers.

When I read the post 1, there is a AND between Car and Track for a mod, so it's not clear for me if the track is mandatory and limit the use of the car on this only associated track.

These is the MoDId and the SubmitId. Is the ModId enough to synchronise the betatester online before publish to all user with the SubmitId?

Indeed thanks for the information about the modding procedure and publication, very interesting.

18. Flaux

Flaux Registered

It's the trackfilter we have now in rf1 guys....

You can say which tracks to use (ALL in most of the mods) but you need a minimum of one track to use the car so... Nothing really new here... just that trackfilter in the rfm...

I believe... :p

19. E.Neytman

E.Neytman Registered

BTW - 3 pics are made from the game. We can see the Win7 frame. You can see the race menu and online menu, also you can notice that account is social-integrated.

20. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Tracks components can be "signed" by track makers via track loading screen.
    Cars not sure how it can be possible, i think in the spinner, may be in other ways.
    Sounds are not easy ... but a crazy idea is a short audio message in the mod main screen?
    HUD are not easy, no idea how migh be possible to "sign" them, may be a small signature in an angle of the screen?
    UI are easy to sign, for istance in the main game screen.

In my opinion credits and modder signatures are an important component, and i am sure the modding community will find the creative way to do it!

Another important community discussion will be related, in my opinion, to the mods updates.
    All togheter, we might to find the most rational and simple way to update mods (for istance adding new tracks) and to share them.