Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Lightning fast ...you need to get sponsored;)

2. Davie

Davie Registered

TYKA is not working for RAM cheats

Hello guys.

Me and my friends are running a small league. We have problems with cheaters, someone told us to use Tyka so we tested it and ..... it is not working for ram cheats.
    Not even for something simple as tyre grip! If you have basic skills in computers you can find out how to cheat very easly. That kind of behavior is devastating for a league and competition. So i was hoping you guys will implemet some kind of protection for ram cheats or a log on a server with physics data from all drivers.

Keep up the good work!

3. michael1

michael1 Banned

there is nothing you can do works on iracing gtr2 codemasters COD

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can write and distribute a plugin that checks various figures and reports to the server directly; a bit of custom-encryption on the sent data will slow down any efforts to read and imitate the data (and by sending a server-generated figure which is then manipulated, sent back, and verified, you can reduce 'offline testing' for imitation). Once you have it working you can modify it now and then to keep people on their toes, and since you're dealing with relatively few people you keep the chance of someone making the effort to break it, down.

ISI can probably make a better system, but it becomes the main (and, initially at least, the only) target for anyone interested in such things. So I think you have to contemplate doing your own anyway.

Unbreakable? No. You can't do any better than risk reduction/management, and that's unlikely to ever change.

5. michael1

michael1 Banned

yes but the problem is this i can beet you vettel or any one on any sim game any track any were by use of 1 cheat not 5 or ten cheats 1. undetectable on any anti cheat system any were iracing gtr2 rfactor codemasters raceroom but yet nothing is done about the cheat programs in the 1st place and it is a major problem as there are leauges with many drivers cheating.

6. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

I doubt there will ever be an effective anticheat method done with software alone. If you really want to eliminate cheating it will take a little old-fashioned effort on behalf of the league admins. That effort can be minimized with razor thin lines of judgment when the rules and methods are clearly established, and with a few lines of code those judgments can be managed in just a few minutes of time per race event.

In effect we're already using it and its caught & banned a handful of cheaters over the last two years. In November we'll be offering this system to other league admins as a beta test and if its proven successful, it will be generally available in March 2012.

7. endonesia

endonesia Registered

Highly interested.

8. openloop

openloop Registered

physics cheating is a solvable problem

Here's an idea for comparing the behavior of the client's physics models with known-good models.

1. During a race, clients record control input to a file. By "input" I mean THE input actually used by the physics engine.

2. After the race, clients send the control record to the server.

3. Server plays the control input through its physics models (effectively runs the race again) and compares the end result (lap time, race time)

Any physics manipulation done on the client side that results in an advantage will be detected. There's no way for the client to trick the server -- validation is completely server side.

Here are answers to some of the typical questions I get when discussing this:

Q: You want the client to record all the high frequency control input in real-time? Isn't that a ton of data / won't it make the game stutter.

A: Yes the actual data used in every simulation step. Estimate: 16 bits steering, 8 bits throttle, 8 bits clutch, 8 bits brake, 8 bits buttons @ 100Hz = 600 bytes/sec = 2.16 MB / hour. This rate and size is no sweat for even a low-end PC.

Q: Cheaters will just change the data before sending it to the server

A: There's nothing preventing that, but messing with the input data only increases (almost guarantees) the chances of discrepant lap times when the verification server replays the data.

Q: Cheaters could still use input proxies (to achieve TC/ABS when not allowed).
    A: Yes. This is anti-cheat method is effective for physics changes only.

Q: The replay of the control input is going to take a while, people won't wait around between races for that to finish.

A: I envision sending the control input files off to a dedicated verification machine. The main server would progress to the next track as normal. This means there would be about a one race delay before cheating is verified.

9. michael1

michael1 Banned

so if its still beta how do you no who you banned were defo cheaters?

10. Davie

Davie Registered

I have gathered memory addresses from most of rfactor physics , even i can check if TC , ABS are enabled. Now i need someone to help with writing a plugin for clients , or help with how to get the physics data from game from plugin. My secon idea is to write a separate program that every client need to have runing during the race and send a encoded report after the race. My idea was to gather a physics value from client ram in a random time periods, with a lap time of course. Is there anyone who want to help with my ideas?

11. Rich_A

Rich_A Registered

I trust ISI more than I trust league admins and even after many years no real solution has been developed by the community. This is a job for ISI only IMO.

12. Davie

Davie Registered

Yeah it is like that because no one want to look at the problem. Everyone more likely pretend the problem not exists.

13. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

That is in effect what I am doing. Coupled with their setup there are parameters that can valid performance within a high degree of certainty. So you set the deviation tolerance a little higher to reach 100% certainty and it becomes a very reliable screen.

This solution may not be practical for everyone, and no doubt there may be other solutions more practical, I just haven't seen them yet.

14. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Ego dilutes objectivity. Those razor thin lines of judgement can be influenced.

I will never understand the rationale behind cheating in a race. Then again winning a virtual race/championship over the internet really doesn't amount to much for me. If someone wants to brag about a fake accomplishment, I think the joke is on them. Enjoy the journey and where you end up doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You are right, since such sucker take top3 standings, prizes etc away of fair racing drivers

16. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

"fair racing drivers"??? Hah! Ive got a load cell for braking, triple screens and my accelerator pedal has twice the travel of a regular G25 pedal. Ive changed my controller.ini so that the wheel feels only the the slip angle and I change the wheel sensitivity in the Wingman profiler from the default 50 to 100%. The other guy has everything at default, runs at DX7 , has a 17in screen, and has a old wheel. He may still be faster than me but to use the word "fair" is absurd. If everyone had the same hardware and software setup and could only change the car setup THEN you could call it FAIR .

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think you missed the meaning of word 'fair'.

18. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

honest, just, straightforward

19. openloop

openloop Registered

An offline physics validator could be run by anyone (everyone). Corruption doesn't do well in that kind of environment.

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We race under league conditions. The normal way for a league is to demand no alterations have been made to change perfomance. stuff like different monitors and wheel settings etc. is a given in any sim or game, should not be a real problem and is not considered unfair simply because its impossible to regulate it and we all still want and need our competitions dont we.

Besides, fancy stuff does not make someone a good driver. Moreover, cheating does not make anyone a good driver, i would not be suprised if its the same in fps world, people with little to no skills resort to cheats out of frustration so its not allways a given cheaters are the ones at the top of the charts.

Using your line of thought a driver new to rfactor or not as experienced in a surtain mod and not knowing allot about setting up a car is beeing treated unfairly because others do have that experience and can easily get time simply by setting the car up correctly or using mod 'perks'. You might as well give up on everything. comparing it with deliberate cheating is way off the chart.