Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Stupid post, mate.
    You missed one point: what should league organizers do? change a league?

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I am 100% for talking about cheating but the one thing I've learned in cheating discussions is that things can turn ugly fast. Steam has a sub forum dedicated to the discussion of cheating and that particular sub forum has the highest amount of locked threads by a landslide. lol.

3. theother5

theother5 Registered

Agreed, it's a topic that unfortunately will blow up sometimes over because it's so explosive ... but I think most people are adult .. at least on here. This is a topic that needs to be maintained on the top of discussions going forward.

Look at what is also going on in other sports .... pro road cycling for example .... details differ but the principle is the same.

Added comments-

rFactor folks [Tim, Max, ?]

Reputation systems are beginning to appear on forums and other online areas and are not something new albeit, they appear to be being implemented differently and in new ways ...

How crazy an idea would it be for a Rep system to be developed as a later update perhaps even as a mod tool from the community? [Sadly, I'm not offering here 'cos I don't have the skills!]. Would this require more access to the code than ISI can allow or is this easy to say but just simply too complicated to achieve?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  4. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

What a clown

5. theother5

theother5 Registered

In fairness, he has a point as this particular topic is notorious at folding in onto itself and going around in a circle. ..... 'Clown' is a bit strong maybe Hutch?

It's the 'throwing in the towel' impression that the post makes which is less appreciated though for sure.

6. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Marantz races ai cars why would he be concerned with an anticheat software.... but of course the other 99.9% of us who race in leagues would atleast like some kind of software to detter cheats.

I dont think we are asking for much, with rfactor being so easy to cheat with we at least want somthing implimented for rfactor2 to detter the average racer.

Only a clown would post up not to waste time on an anti cheat measure.....

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

[​IMG]

8. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Heres the other anti cheat hater rofl, wonder why....

9. michael1

michael1 Banned

lol i think every1 who reeds the Q about ram cheats and gets anger or wound up is at full guilt of cheating, an as for leauges most i raced in it was the admins using ram cheats so what can you do. f12010 has anti cheat an same with iracing, an we can use tyka in rf1, but then you get the admins who have trubble with tyka an will not use it, ye right, i have been using tyka for months no problems an it free. your drivers use another edit of tyka to join the servers.

10. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

So that's why I'm getting beat by 5 seconds on hot lap competitions!!!

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

.. and they slow down cheating, but don't eliminate it, because you can't. Unfortunately that's just how it is with online gaming.

Everything in moderation, as they say, so if rF2 makes it very difficult for the average player to cheat, that'll be a good compromise between having no detection and spending too much time on a system that will inevitably be broken later anyway. At the end of the day it's a game (even if we do tend to take it very seriously), so if you have some enjoyable racing you should be happy.

lol... I'd say that's mostly tongue-in-cheek, but in public rooms you do tend to get accusations thrown about when someone's lapping that much faster. When I first got rFactor I was 5-6s behind the fast guys in Meganes around tracks like Essington and Mills, and some people around the same pace were making suggestions of cheating... 6 months later after a lot of work to drive faster, and getting within a second of the fast guys, I sometimes had similar accusations leveled at me - which was amusing, but also disappointing. Still, I learned to approach public racing the way I've mentioned above - good racing at times (when you survive wreckers), perhaps some faster guys or even some around my pace were cheating, who knows... still had good racing. Now in a league getting consistently enjoyable racing, no wreckers, and am more confident of having no cheating - but never 100%. Not worth worrying about in my opinion.

12. Tony H

Tony H Banned

good point lazza, but i think you just worked out what hacks they where using & 'joined the party', same as 'the league' close at the front because you are all tared with the same brush. ;-)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, good one Tony... :rolleyes:

Your 'hacks' talk isn't quite so funny when it's not in our league lol

14. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Well besides speed indicators
    Is there something more tangable that would give a better indication that a driver is using some kind of hack.

I don't like to accuse or same something that can not be proven.
    But Example I was in a great race I was all over this guy for a great number of laps.
    Then it was like lag the car kinda morthed blinked kinda went side ways diapered then reappeared and then just raced away like I was stopped or something
    I could not keep up or catch up.
    Would this be a indicator ? of a hack/Cheet happening.

Ruben M.

15. juls

juls Registered

FPS somehow limit the cheating problem by having both the client and the server calculate the physics (bullet trajectories...etc).

This way if something is altered on the client like armor or ammo...quickly there is a difference between client and server calculations.

But then other ways of cheating appear, which do not change the physics but still give an advantage:
    1) showing on client screen objects that should be hidden..like enemies behind walls.
    2) tools taking control of your mouse to help you aiming.

In a racing game, you can implement a client/server verification to be sure nothing is altered on the client, a real time verification of telemetry...but it won't prevent other ways of cheating. Of course 1) brings no advantage on a racing game, but a PC geek can implement a driving help based on the game output.
    But this type of cheating requires heavy development, and only few people in the world would be crazy enough to do that.

I think iRacing devs pay careful attention to things like that, because for each telemetry data they give, they always wonder how it could be used for cheating.

16. theother5

theother5 Registered

This mindset is for sure one which is important and I hope it is part and continues to be part of the code development process going forward.

I'm resigned to accepting that cheating will always be practiced by the few but I refuse to give into the opinion that nothing can be done about it. For my part, less public and more private servers where your reputation is your wealth is what I will do.

Public server experience note. [Hardly original but kinda funny]

Yesterday in Silverstone in a Megane, I was slightly faster than the car in front and over the early course of the race, I caught him and tried to work out where to pass. Having figured the start finish straight was my advantge I could not get past as he magically gained a few car lengths at the last turn on every lap after this, thus denying me a sure passing opportunity ....

I stuck with it for each lap and forced him into a mistake at Becketts only for him to magically appear in front of me again .... LOL

It was an open server so I don't really care that much and in a proper league race, he'd have been kicked for sure ....

17. michael1

michael1 Banned

yes use tyka it works, i do. i tryed to change the grip of the track it picked up on it and when i hacked the Diffuser this is the main 1 as with the Diffuser hack i can pull 5 sec a lap so say spa 2010 i can lap in a 1:44s with lots of training and a good setup same as all the other drivers i race with the is only ever mabe .5 of a sec between us at the most on any track. hack the Diffuser i can do 1:38sec but then if i only change it a little i can gain what i want say .5 of a sec then i am doing redbull speeds an no1 would no they would just think i am michael schumacher or i might have a flexing wing or a blown Diffuser but i am just a cheat and out of all the leauges i race the spanish are the worst for ram cheats oh and the ping is a give away ram cheats have high ping like 400odd

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Can't see how to keep cheaters away but:

a) Controlled LAN game, what is impracticable considering the racers are spread world around.

b) Dongle, a hard lock which will guarantee a unique machine ID for each racer. The room / league admin might create a refuse list based on open black-listed IDs if he wants.

It was not reasonable apply reverse engineering to break a hard lock just for cheat online game. Physical hardlocks can be broken as well but it involves a lot of hard work by pirates and they want be paid for it. But even B solution would increase the price of software a lot (and adds a $ ship charge) .

So, we have to live among human beings, they cheat, steal, and do whatever is from their nature.

19. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello

Michael1 Wrote:
    Thanks for the Info
    I looked in to Tyka and it looks promising
    But my problem is we rent a dedi server and tyka can not be installed on there so it won't work.

So hopefully RF2 will at leaset be better/harder to cheat as I know it is impossible to stop these guys for ever.

Ruben M.

20. michael1

michael1 Banned

Hi why do you rent a server you get 1 with rfactor? rfc use the 1 with rfactor. tyka scans live the server and drivers real time for common hacks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011