Several cars steering force very dynamic

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Iketani, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Hi! I recently bought my first BTCC car, the Cupra Leon, and I feel all okay except the steering force when returning the wheel to the center. I think that this effect is wrong in any car (in all the other cars of rF2 i don't feel it), so I would like to know if it will be fixed. Thanks!

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Is your force feedback reversed? If the strength is 100%, try -100%?

Iketani likes this.
  3. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I don't think so, but in few minutes I will check it. I feel normal force when turning, but I also feel a light force when turning to the center. In some minutes I will say if I have the force feedback okay.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

FWD isn't it? If you haven't driven FWD in rF2 the FFB might feel weird, as soon as you give it too much throttle the FFB will feel reversed.

The FFB strength won't suddenly be wrong just because you changed cars.

Iketani likes this.
  5. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Uhmm, sorry, I explained badly. The problem that I was feeling is that the forces were very dynamic (relation between strong effects and soft effects when driving normally). I think that I solved the "problem" setting the wheel strength options to -100 % in overall, 100 % in driver and only 10-20 % in game car specific strength (aroun 2.5 or 5 Nm of force peak, due to power assisted steering for these cars). Thank you for your help, guys. Anyway, I think that I detected a fail. In garage setup of all the game cars, I don't find a proper adjusting option to modify the steering rack ratio (I only see a steering angle lock that I think that is totally useless). Some cars (for example Porsche 911 Cup, old model) needs an option to reduce the steering rack ratio. I don't know if the real version has it, but I normally see the option in other cars, at least in GT3 and single seater racing cars.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Iketani it feels like you're doing something very wrong, but without further details like what wheel you have it's hard to know.

Steering ratio is indeed usually static (with only the rotation adjustable, which is a bit weird and rarely seems of use to anyone) but as most modern wheels have enough rotation to cover the normal range of movement for driving fast on track it's more of a curiosity than a real hindrance. I would think it relatively rare to be able to adjust the ratio in a car.

7. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I use a SC2 Pro, but yes, mechanics and cars are able to change the steer ratio (different in Monaco than in Spa, for example)... They can change into the steering box, into the connection of the steering column bars, etc.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, as a long-time F1 simmer I'm aware of the ratio and geometry changes specific to Monaco, but I'd still suggest most cars (/series) don't tend to feature ratio changes as a common setup adjustment.

If the FFB is overly dynamic, people would normally lower their wheel strength and keep the in-game options up. FFB Strength and Vehicle Specific are multiplied together; having either one low simply lowers the average force but allows more room for spikes. Anyway, if you find something that works for you, that's cool.

Iketani likes this.
  9. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I think that I prefer to not to limit the force peak and maintain the original force curve, that's why I put 10 % in game and 100 % in the other bars. But yes, maybe a way to simulate the power steering could be if we put the same value in all the bars and increase or reduce the values together until we get our setting preference. About the steer ratio, okay, I agree to you, but I just saw that real 911 cup has 800 degrees of steer lock (SRO real data), and in rF2 it has 624 or something like that. And I don't understand why we can change it to 540, 450, 380 degrees in rF2, the steering becames more wide yet with these values... :/

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry to sidetrack slightly, can you link me to that Cup 800 degree reference?

Cars in rF2 have a nominal steering column force that is considered maximum. The game uses that and your wheel profile torque capability (which would be 25Nm for you) to scale the FFB down. Be sure to check telemetry to confirm how the calculated torque is transferring to FFB output - you may find a simple (scaled) power steering is already in effect.

Iketani likes this.
  11. Iketani

Iketani Registered

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thanks, that's one of the usual ACC derived charts though. One day hoping to find something that isn't using a game as a source :D

redapg and Iketani like this.
  13. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I have been testing the León and I think its FFB must be modified. I have only 15 % of strength and I feel the normal turning very soft and at the same time a very dynamic and heavy effects, so I think that it must be more balanced. In my opinion, a good example of good FFB of a front wheel drive car with power steering it is the Vauxhall Vectra BTCC '90 for example.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Running in the game at 15% (FFB Strength x Vehicle specific mult) will make for weak driving forces and leave lots of room for extreme spikes. You're better raising the in-game figures to boost the common forces and leave less room for spikes.

15. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Then I will feel heavier effects (false in a power-assisted steering).

Edit: And now I have been testing the Indycar 2018 and the FFB it's a disaster. Very exagerated effects, veeeeeeery dynamic effects, very false.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Iketani as an SC2 owner you have a lot of options, between the wheel strength itself, rF2's FFB strength/veh specific mult, and the steering torque capability in the wheel profile (or controller.json).

You can basically have it any way you want, so just do that.

17. Iketani

Iketani Registered

No, if I add inertia, friction or damping I will feel it spongy and artifitial, so I always let off these options. The problem it is not about the strenght. If I cap the torque I won't never feel the whole +20 Nm of peak torque of these cars with no power steering. The problem is that the effects are veeeery dynamic. A good non-power assisted steering car that I feel very good it is the Brabham or McLaren M23 for example.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I didn't mention the actual SC wheel settings, as that's not what I meant.

The IndyCar should be producing somewhere around 16+Nm cornering force, at least on a road setup. Any jolts or spikes (which I think you're referring to as effects) can only be 56% higher before clipping if you're running actual forces.

You almost certainly can't just load up different cars in the game and have them all work well for you, as there is definitely variation in how much force different cars produce and how extreme the jolts are in relation to normal forces. But rF2 doesn't have all the relevant settings in the UI, let alone being configured per-car, so that's just how you need to approach it.

And just a note/reminder if I haven't pointed it out above: FFB in rF2 comes from the physics. I think there can be issues with tyre oscillations and sometimes the geometry can exaggerate kerb strikes, but there isn't a separate FFB calculation that can be adjusted.

Iketani likes this.
  19. Iketani

Iketani Registered

It is not only with kerbs, I mean in general, over the whole road. Tell me if you can your config in driver, in game, in specific car multi and .json if necessary, and I will adapt it to my steering wheel and I will try and see if I feel better feedback. :/

If rF2 FFB is based on geometry, I feel it in this way and there isn't way to fix or adapt to a realistic FFB, unfortunately maybe rF2 is not my game...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's actually not easy to tell what you don't (or do) like just based on words. I'm guessing kerbs and similar bumps/jolts as what you don't like being overly dynamic, but maybe it's just the overall FFB you feel is too active? I don't really know. (in that particular case maybe some smoothing will help, it's not unusual to run > 0 in rF2; but again I'm suggesting a solution for what I think you have an issue with, doesn't mean it's right)

So I don't know if it can be 'fixed' for you, as it's hard to know exactly what you don't like about it. The words you're using aren't clear enough, and it could be difficult to explain fully.

Iketani likes this.