Low perfomance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by darkojovanoski1986, Apr 20, 2023.

1. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

Hello. I open this thread from suggestion of other users so it will be easier to respond about and find the issue. Below are my system specs and in game settings. I get low fps if you get system specs of my PC.

CPU: i5 9600k
    GPU: Asus Dual 4070 12gb vram
    RAM: 4x8gb 2666Mhz
    PSU: 750W
    I have SSD and HDD but performance were the same.

My in game settings:
    Msaa: 2x
    Post process: low
    Cirquit, player, opponent, textures to full
    Special effects: medium
    Shadows: High
    Shadow blur: optimal/quality
    SSR: off
    Rain: low
    Resolution is 2560x1080

My ~ results vary from track to track and AI against I race and also time of the day. In sunrise/sunset against 19 ai all visible at start of the race I get around 60 fps on most tracks, on Daytona in the first corner after race start I get dip to around 50-55fps. On the middle of the day of course results are better but again even this is not the result I expect if I compare results from other sims I play which are more cpu and gpu demanding like ACC for example.
    Worth noting is that I had 1660ti in my pc until tuesday and results I got with it were around 5% lower than this.
    All I wrote here are results after formatting pc and installing rFactor on formatted drive.
    I really don`t know what to think. I haven`t many background processes becouse I just use this pc for sim racing, only essentiall stuff is installed, not other fancy programs for streaming or anything.
    Any suggestions are welcomed
    Thanks

2. atomed

atomed Member

I would lower the circuit and opponent to medium, and shadows to medium and shadow blur to fast. Also try with 10-12 visible vehicles. I guess you mostly are struggling with CPU and RAM speed.

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  3. darkojovanoski1986

Other users with similars specs run the sim with 25+ ai visible maxed out.
    Btw thanks for suggestions but fps barely moves from the post i described.
    Maybe something related to BIOS but i run bios on default settings.

4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

From my xperience, OC Ram and CPU + opponent low + opponent visible between 6 and 10 max

5. darkojovanoski1986

So I could throw away around 1400$ pc and play Gran turismo on ps5 with awesome graphics and 15 ai :)
    Pardon my irony but this is unnaceptable for a pc like mine. I run 60+ fps on ACC on ultra against 23 Ai visible on all weather conditions and we all know how demanding that title is...

6. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

rFactor 2 is actually known to be very CPU intensive (and probably RAM intensive).

It may be a little due to insufficient optimization, but above all because it is an INCOMPARABLE simulation to ACC or GT7.....

Indeed, the physics engine is a huge notch above these games, really.

This results in the need for rFactor 2 to use much more CPU resources.

And you have an old processor which is pretty bad IF NOT OVERCLOCKED.

In fact, my advice in the post above is (MAYBE) relevant.

[Besides, the optimization of rFactor 2 is CATASTROPHIC in the following conditions :
    Rain and wet road, low sun/night/sunset/sunrise and... Lots of AI in multiclass precisely because of excessive CPU usage by the AIs.
    Since 2016 I've been warning about this optimization problem, it doesn't seem to be in their priorities unfortunately.]

7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Please, don't suggest him to buy a new CPU. There's clearly something wrong there. I have similar CPU and have no performance issues. He should be able to get more than 100fps with the settings he's using.

Alex from S397 has also confirmed that he can get good performance with the same CPU.

We need more information.

pilAUTO likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Without testing (specific cars?) I suspect I'd get similar or even higher fps running triples (5760x1080, multiview) at those settings on my i5-8600 and 1070ti.

There's no issue with the CPU, and while rF2 has advanced physics it's not breaking much less CPUs than an i5-9600k, even with 19AI.

9. atomed

atomed Member

Can you check your performance at lowest? I´d try that and go upwards from there step by step. This way you can also check if something is wrong as @Bernat suggested.

10. darkojovanoski1986

I will not buy new CPU for god sake! :D
    When I bought new GPU my pc was at the IT service from the store becouse I don't want to mess my self with that stuff becouse I don't know that stuff and screw the waranty. My pc was open and if something was wrong with hardware parts how are they installed I guess they would tell me.
    I done utilisation test of my pc from userbenchmarks and measure cpu temps while test was running, they never go above 60 degrees even when pc was most stressed.
    It seems everything works fine and in the end it doesn't when I play rFactor.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Were the test results comparable to others with similar hardware?

12. darkojovanoski1986

It says 52 % have better results from me

13. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

If you have fiber optics and an SSD like me, the best advice, because the entire process will not take more than 3 hours maximum, to reinstall rFactor 2 as cleanly as possible. If the problem persists, we will have many indications for say if it is rFactor 2 which is in question or not. And I'm not encouraging you to change your CPU, I'm strongly encouraging you to have the OC at least 4.5 Ghz and if possible a little your RAM too because it is weak (mine is at 4000 MHz for example).

14. darkojovanoski1986

This is what I get from the score. This is fresh win 10 pro install. Only gpu and chipset drivers were installed

Attached Files:

15. darkojovanoski1986

I disabled all mods and third party stuff from workshop and installing rf2 again. Says around 70gb to download. Can someone help how to post logs here so someone can see what is going on?
    BTW do you guys use performance mode or balanced in power settings in windows?

16. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The image says performance is below expectations. Maybe a warning already.

See the section about performance logging: https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/diagnosing-issues-using-logging

If you could do monitoring of processes and CPU while rFactor 2 is running and post some screenshots...

17. darkojovanoski1986

I see in bios xmp is not enabled but can't be enabled by simple click. I read this is boost for performance and I got it disabled. Maybe this is the answer? Will try to find a way to enable it.

18. Bernat

Bernat Registered

XMP profiles can make the memory a bit faster by tightening the timings. If it's not available is because your memory modules don't have XMP profiles. That would mean they're already running at their full speed. This wouldn't be a groundbreaking change though.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

XMP is usually a simple click in your BIOS.
    Here is a method to open your bios from windows.
    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/enter-uefi-bios-windows-11/
    I'm wondering have you used CPUid/CPU-Z to verify your motherboard has PCI 4.0 capability?
    And I don't know how much power the newer video cards demand, but perhaps 750 watts is limiting your system's performance?
    I had an I5 9600k in my previous system and coupled with a very old video card, it was struggling to keep up with rF2 or ACC.

20. darkojovanoski1986

Sadly my ram doesn't support xmp.
    I have pcie 3.0 slots on motherboard.
    However my gpu request 650w psu so I am sufficient here. I never experienced crashes during gaming.