Low perfomance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by darkojovanoski1986, Apr 20, 2023.

1. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

If there is one core at 100% can I do somerhing to arrange it other core also becouse rf2 now supports it?

2. I am not sure but I think I tried it once in Windows 10 and rF2 crashed. Normally the OS kernel scheduler decides where to run a process (in general, not quite 100% right).

The i5 9600 supports 2666 MHz RAM max, so it does not matter if you can increase RAM speed at this point; from my point of view rF2 gains a lot of performance on processors base and turbo frequency per core - so if it comes to CPU benchmark comparisons I would have a look at single core performance at first and then multicore.

I recently changed my system from 10700k with DDR4 RAM at 3200 oder 3600 to 13900 with DDR5 RAM at 5200 or 5600 (need to start the systems to be sure).

I had less increase in graphics performance (using a 3080), but loading times of tracks decreased a lot (it is obvious so I did not a side-to-side comparison).

From my experience track environment and shadows are the most demanding FX options. And also it depends on the track itself - I agree having no issues at all before update seems to be strange ...

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Can you please post screenshots of the configuration tool (it's selected in the Steam launcher) and the graphics settings in-game?

First, it would be interesting to see the utilization per core.

4. I agree - some people reported they needed to specify the GPU in the configuration tool while having a CPU with builtin graphics.

5. darkojovanoski1986

I know what interest tou from that settings. Yeah Gpu i selected my Gpu not auto, also my specs are corectly written on it so no issues there.
    About performance per core I don't know how to provide that info?

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

It would still be interesting to see the screenshots. We are trying to guess what's wrong, any piece of information can help.

https://www.lifewire.com/check-cpu-usage-in-windows-11-5215784

7. darkojovanoski1986

Here is the graph. Running gt3 23 ai all visible at Sebring at dusk. Fps were good in game but graph stats show CPU1 or core 1 is having hard time to to work, it's almost full but cpu percentage abkve says 37%. Is there anything I can do to take the high load from it?
    Edit: GPU load also

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

It seems likely that the core at 100% is running the graphics thread. Can you share a screenshot of your graphics settings?

Before someone says it's the CPU, I have a CPU with worse single core performance than yours and still I get more fps than you. There must be some other factor.

Can you post a graphics performance log? Maybe someone can take a look at it and tell us what's wrong.

9. darkojovanoski1986

Bernat don't get me wrong but really all this is very annoying. I like rFactor 2 a lot but this is taking too much time. I try and run stuff all the time. I am sure it's not something on my end becouse these issues are present only in rFactor 2. These results I posted are from official track and cars, using mods results are far worse but thats expected until some point. I turned off all except player, cirquit, texture and opponent to full and get 100 fps on nords and with simple logic that means that GPU is weak but again on other titles that same GPU pump fps like crazy which leads me to conclusion that prpblem is in rfactor. Many users like me rise hands and leave the game becouse of issues like this and they are more and more. I love it but I can't take any more, I invested too much money in dlc and packs to end up in a situation like this. Probably someone in S397 test this stuff before releasing, it's not on us to pay to test and end up like this...
    All I can say is thanks to anyone who tried to help but I guess this is end of the road...

Levelup1 likes this.
  10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

It's your decision. Every gamer knows that some title might not work well with their system and if the issue isn't widespread it won't be worked on. I agree you don't have to waste your time if that's your feeling. ;)

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This reminds me a lot of the PCIe 2/3 times (or 2.0 x8 vs 2.0 x16). Benchmarks said it wouldn't make much difference, other games showed it wouldn't make much difference, some people here (who seemingly knew hardware) said it won't make much difference. People who were able to make the switch had huge gains in rF2.

I don't know if the way the engine works has changed in a manner that might have changed this, but I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe someone with a similar card on 4.0 can try reducing the rate to see what it does (I assume that's possible).

12. It matters from my opinion, definitely ... back in the days of the old Pentium 100, 120, 133, 150 and 166 (later on the 200s) you could see a significant performance increase on FX between Intel Pentium 120 and 133 or even worse 150 and 166 because bus frequency was 50 for the 100 and 150 instead of 66,6 (or 63,6 ... do not remember it exactly).

Also I had a mainboard which allowed me to overclock PCI bus (from 33,3 that days to 40-somehwat) and it was a huge improvement. I think it has not changed a lot ... nowadays we have so called pipelines and I think if PCI pipelines count matches CPU pipeline count it would be best concerning performance.

So if GPU is not maxed out, but CPU there must be kind of CPU / RAM / PCIe bottleneck for some reason ... and this could also be related to a change in code.

13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

So this is very frustrating for the OP, and if you understand where he was coming from, you would surely agree with him. He wants to be able to play this game without trying to diagnose potential issues with it. He upgraded to a state-of-the-art GPU, and didn't see any performance improvement. That shouldn't happen.

I've been asking him to show me hardware related performance, like GPU-Z. Why am I doing this? To rule out the fallacy that people on here keep making, that it's some issue with his hardware, and the basic OS environment. It isn't. He's got perfectly acceptable hardware, that is performing as expected. I look at that GPU-Z sensor trace, it is clear the GPU is performing to spec, isn't too hot or throttling in any way. You all should be able to recognize this anyway, because he tells you that he has other games where performance HAS improved markedly. So it's fine to try and eliminate any of these other external factors, just to make sure there is not one of these causing his issues. But so far, we have been unable to come up with anything that could explain it. So as Sherlock Holmes might say, once you have eliminated these other possible options you are left to conclude: the problem lies in the game code itself. This is why we need S397 game devs to take a look at this issue. The CPU is only 4 or so years old. The GPU is latest gen. If the game can't perform on this, it's got serious issues with future sales and development, and keeping current users.

14. I do not disagree totally, but on the other handside ...

I have placed a 5.0 V8 into my Ford Pinto and now I am wondering, why the new engine is performing worse ... maybe fuel pump does not deliver enough fuel? Maybe the clutch slips because of the increased power?

15. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Try this for if it helps.
    Look at the controller.json and make sure that "Use thread":true.
    Then, in Invidia inspector play with this option, perharps ON helps to distribute the cpu load.

upload_2023-4-21_20-19-57.png

In player.json you can override the grahics values for opponent and player, this way you have medium 3d options but texture full. Reflections are very heavy, try disable road reflection and environmen to low. Made wonders for me.

DJCruicky likes this.
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The game is largely performing ok, it's just not in line with the outright capability of the newly upgraded component.

If the rF2 engine fundamentally relies more on the PCIe bus the devs can't wave a magic wand and change it. They would have done it years ago if they could.

I agree we shouldn't be pointing fingers and saying "it's not rF2, it's your hardware," but surely for the OP it's worth identifying what quirk of rF2 is affected by which aspect of the hardware? Also useful for others in a similar position looking at upgrade options.

Experience tells us not to expect a sudden change on the rF2 side, so at least if we can confirm the cause of the issue on the hardware side everyone is forewarned.

Now having said all that, if the OP's performance in a specific scenario is worse than others with similar hardware, maybe there's still some configuration change that could help.

17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

If there's only a handful that have these issues and none of them wants to send a simple performance log to the devs, who's to blame? I've asked three times to send this log, he didn't want to.

The issue has to be reproducible, or at least know where the cause lies. You have to spend some time sending the required info or you send them your computer so they try it.

Software isn't as simple as a switch, in that case it works or it doesn't work and there's not much that can fail. Software is a lot more complex and sometimes things work but sometimes they don't, and it's not easy to figure out the reason why specially when it only fails for a few people and they can't provide a test case.

If all the time spent trying to give bad press to the devs were spent doing something productive that helped unveil the root of the issue, maybe the issue wouldn't exist already.

And the theory that because other games work well it can't be some hardware/software issue on the user's end is wrong. By the same principle we can say that because it works well for others on the same or similar hardware, or even less powerful hardware, the problem has to be on the user's end.

There's thousands of computer configurations out there, any title can have issues with a handful of those configurations. They're figured out if anyone wants to help fix it or the user just goes away and plays something else. It's that easy. No reason to create conspiracy theories.

18. darkojovanoski1986

That is actually what we need at this stage! I am not the only one struggling with performance issues after latest updates.
    If I swap the gpu now to my previous GPU 1660ti (which is Pcie 3.0) will get only aroind 5% less than with my current 4070. You can simply exclude the the bottleneck becouse my i5 9600k and 1660ti work seaminglessly together with barely 2-3% bottleneck and with that in mind I shouldn't have any issues with fps becouse I am having required specs to run rf2. I am not expecting wonders to get 150fps against 30 ai or anything but surely should play the sim at acceptable fps if I lower some resource consuming options like shadows and env reflections but even with new gpu I struggle even on the same settings and only in rfactor 2.
    If my cpu is really the limitation I am asking do we need to have latest high end pc to enjoy the sim as we should? Why then it's written as reccomended cpu on the steam page?
    I tried many options even lowering the options but as anyone here I want to enjoy the sim in great graphics and performance, that's why we pay for hardware! Of course our pc's are not consoles and have same specs so the optimising will be easier but even then I suspect someone will change anything becouse we know how s397 see on this stuff.
    I posted the thread in "Technical support" becouse I hoped someone from the devs will see and respond and maybe contact me as a long customer trying to provide help and reckognise the issue but nothing. I respect and thank all of you who tried to provide help and reckognise the issue and also I tried my best to answer to any of your requests except providing that log becouse I had some family stuff going on and to be honest I lost interest. Enjoying other sims at high settings immerse you and not to forget there are other sims with positive things in terms of realism and racing. I love rf2 but I want to race in different combinations not to hotlap becouse of the performance issues which I think are limitations from the rf2 engine. Run agains 10 ai, run against half of them visible etc. is not appceptable at today technology and standards, I mean these options I should consider if my pc barely enter minimum specs required.
    I like the rf2 and whole work on it improved a lot last year but I am sad to get to this point where I had to leave the sim and I updated the pc mostly to play rf2 in better conditions but it is what it is...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  19. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

Well, I had that CPU with a 3070 and my performance increased when a changed it to a 5800x

[​IMG]

20. Bernat

Bernat Registered

That's very logical, what's unexpected is that he had such low performance independent of the GPU. A faster GPU doesn't make a CPU slower.