Low perfomance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by darkojovanoski1986, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Kahel

Kahel Registered

I'll go (almost) straight to the result... it's just meant as an example, comparing performance between GT3 against BTCC... with everything else equal.
    Tested at Daytona (DLC) defaut setting 1pm. (average of 3 runs)

On average, not a huge difference between GT3 and BTCC...
    That said... under certain circumstance, at higher fps (like in quali) we can easily see above 20fps difference looking at the fps counter alone.
    On average it's more like 10% (15fps) when the fps are allowed to go on the higher range...
    Apart from that, results are often very close, with some noticeable difference of 7 or 8 %... but could paritally be due to variation run (margin of error).

Here's the results:

Quali:
    GT3 = AVG:155 / 1%Low: 110 / 0.1%Low: 78
    BTCC = AVG:171 / 1%Low: 109 / 0.1%Low: 83

Formation lap:
    GT3 = AVG:109 / 1%Low: 70 / 0.1%Low: 50
    BTCC = AVG:109 / 1%Low: 69 / 0.1%Low: 52

Race:
    GT3 = AVG:132 / 1%Low: 93 / 0.1%Low: 72
    BTCC = AVG:134 / 1%Low: 98 / 0.1%Low: 78

Obviously doesn't mean that there isn't scenario/hardware/setting... where the difference get's bigger (or lower.)

PS: On a side note... the AI are 'Broken' during formation lap with both BTCC and GT3... another result where they are close :D...

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  2. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

Thanks a lot mate for detailed observation! Really appreciate! Just please share your pc specs? How many visible ai and against how many ai do you race? Thanks again!!!

3. Kahel

Kahel Registered

I didn't shared details (PC specs/setting) because the post was already Big... I planned to do so later on... if needed.

Ryzen 7 5700X, RTX 3080 10GB, RAM 32GB 3600mhz, NVME SSD...

Tested with an almost STOCK tuning (only XMP profile)...
    but I plan to do a future comparison with a fully tuned PC (CPU overclocking but most importantly Ram tuning.)... see if we can improve those 1 and 0.1% lows... (in theory it should.)

4. darkojovanoski1986

I see from your specs your cpu is around 15% better at single core speed. Our gpu's are about even, but your ram is 1 ghz faster. Just one more thing, do you run rFactor 2 from ssd or hdd? Against how many ai do you race and how many of them are visible? Again thank you!!!

5. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Very basic NVME SSD.

There is a lot to be said (if you wanted to make a direct comparison)...
    but to answer partially... I tested with 30AI (30visible)... Custom setting (I can show you a screenshoot if interested)... with Triple screens (multiview ON)... 5760x1080p resolution etc...

But no matter your hardware/setting... if you show me results... I'll be able to tell you if they make sense.

Why are you still looking into performance by the way...? do you suspect something wrong... or just by curiousity.

6. darkojovanoski1986

I had very strange results with rFactor 2. Every other sim title work as expected with my specs but rFactor 2 gives me very unusual results and different perfprmance across car classes. Sometimes I get very low performance. I love rFactor 2 but these issues sadly keep me from enjoying it.

7. Kahel

Kahel Registered

How low? (no need to be precise)

8. darkojovanoski1986

Daytona mid day, btcc against 23 ai all visible, i get 45 fps on first corner. Not maxed out settings, even shadows on medium. Strange is that even maxing out settings doesn't make huge difference in fps. I know that means that my cpu is the weak spot but on other sim titles I play I never had any similar issue. Take AC for example, with csp and pure, heavy thunderstorm I never get below 85 fps at 1440p. AC also have need of that single core speed but rf2 was updated and now uses more cores but even than performance are not that good, at least for me. Tried also to turn off all background processes and disabled paging filebin windows but same results. Again I know physics is most advanced but good gpu should leave cpu to work better and take the baggage of performance off but I feel like my gpu and ram are not utilised like they should and that cause performance issues. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know anymore...

9. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Ok as low as 45fps at 1440p... with some setting at medium.
    I'm not that surprised...

And how much you usually get after... mid race... when the field gets spread out?

And did you try things like re-installing the game, deleting cache folder, deleting userdata folder... etc...?

10. darkojovanoski1986

I speak about AC at 1440p, I play rFactor 2 on 1080p. At Daytona after the field spreada out I get around 120 fps but on some spots fps go down but not that much as with ai around you. Not to mention mods, then all goes wrong if they are not properly optimised. For example wtcc mod by Tommy, these cars tank fps like hell. I just mention this about playability I know that official content should be the stuff we measure.

11. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Ok but still... normal rf2 behavior overall... especially with your kind of system... often low fps at start and then it settle a lot higher.
    Even my system get this kind of behavior... with just higher numbers.

Your 'result' for 1080p does feel a bit low... but it's a feeling... nothing else...
    Even if you do have an issue with your install... it may or may not be an aggravating factor... hard to say without real comparison...

At the end of the day... you are the one to decide if it's worth keeping investigating it.
    I think you should at the very least... delete the UserData folder and do an integrity check with steam...
    But other than that... it's just what you get with rF2... worst performance compared to AC that's for sure.

12. darkojovanoski1986

Belive me with two little kids, investigating more and more is impossible :) in the last two weeks I settle again in Raceroom, the sim that brought me into sim racing and driving techniques. It gives me satisfaction and has big variety of cars and tracks, not to mention awesome performance with dxvk. I miss dynamic weather and rain but it's solid sim and give me satisfaction while racing like no other sim to be honest. I love rfactor 2 for ffb and mods but these issues with performance are taking me off.

Danny Wilde and Kahel like this.
  13. darkojovanoski1986

Little update from my journey :D
    I did clean install today of rfacto2 and some interesting stuff happened. When setting preset instead of OSW Simucube I opted Simucube 2 pro. With settings posted im the picture at Daytona midday, against 23 ai all visible I get lowest of 85 fps on the first corner which is miracle! I don't know if wheel preset play any role in this but it works! Will see tonight how it will perform at sunset and with post effects on but this is now playable for sure if I get similar fps at various conditions then I will be happiest sim racer in the world :D

For some reason I cannot upload the picture, settings are:
    Cirquit detail High
    Player detail Full
    Opponents detail High
    Texture Full
    S.Effects Medium
    Shadows High
    S.Quality Optimal
    Soft particles Low
    All other stuff, rain, ssr and env.reflections off. Resolution I played is 3413x1440.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    davehenrie likes this.