Low perfomance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by darkojovanoski1986, Apr 20, 2023.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

no but a faster GPU that is waiting for data is not a faster GPU. Unfortunately, the OP could have saved about 1000$$ and purchased a medium level vid card which would still be overmatched. To take advantage of that killer card, he needs a brute of a CPU & fast memory on a new motherboard.

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  2. Kahel

Kahel Registered

I did a quick glance at the thread... but since something felt off... went back and re-read the all thing.

Darko speak about performance issue... but the screenshoot seem like perfectly normal results... considering his hardware.
    On one he show more than 140fps and on other 120... another screenshoot show 50% gpu usage, with one cpu thread fully maxout...
    All that, make sens and is excepted... plus dips around 60fps... during certain scenarios are 'normal' for rf2... (if he speak about avg it's wrong... but we don't know and didn't check.)

So I don't know... everything make sens, except, the direction the thread went... but maybe I still missed something.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Kelju_K and darkojovanoski1986 like this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

That wasn't the point, the point being that he had much worse performance than other with similar or less powerful hardware.

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

True. It happens too many times.

5. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Please go back and re-read the posts. He got the 140-150fps when he used very low settings. I have the same CPU and a lower GPU (2070 not 4070), plus a limitation in the bus, and I get 120fps on much higher settings than he has; number of AI, shadow quality, MSAA 4x, FXAA on, etc. etc. The OP is getting much lower performance with that hardware, than I am getting. He has much higher consistent CPU utilization, yet at the same time, much lower GPU utilization. We are trying to work out why that is happening. In some cases, I see the same 35% CPU utilization but at other times I get 7% utilization. I can't determine why that is, when nothing else changes. I believe it's some issue in the code with multithreading, therefore, that gets triggered under certain circumstances.

6. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Yeah I got that...
    But before trying to determine what's the problem... maybe doube check that there is one in the first place... and if so, by how much.

I know your reasoning come from a good place... but without actual benchmark... the result he get isn't that far off from the realm of possibility.
    You'll be surprise how little difference some settings make... and how different results can get, depending on content.

When I tried from the lowest possible setting (3x1080p multiview tough)... I only went from 55 on (almost) ultra... to ONLY 80fps on the extra lowest possible settings... (on the start of the race)... but I do get a lot more after... over 120fps (sometimes 150fps)... when the race get spread out.

So considering the very widespread performance gap we can get between cases... your 120fps (feeling) on much higher setting compare to his 140-150fps on lower setting... means (almost) nothing... even with the same content it would mean very little... let alone with completly different ones... certainly not enough to conclude his hardware was faulty...

So... he probably already gave up... and that's fine... telling him the issue was it's hardware over the sim performance itself... letting him think something was wrong... pushing him to do all this testing... was a BIG stretch... and not the first way the conversation should have gone...

On the other end... what's is easy to tell... is that rF2 DOES suffer from performance issues (start of grid and 1% lows, etc...) even tough overall performance, mesured averages, are not that bad... pretty good actually... and see from there if he got the same overall feeling...

If not... then we go into the investigation route... which I don't think is needed anymore with what he showed us... but I wouldn't mind being proved wrong.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  7. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

If anyone still follow the thread...
    I installed msi afterbutner to monitor ram, cpu and gpu usage. What confuses me the most is that cpu is used around 60% at most difficult scenarios, same with gpu usage, and then the question, why are there fps dips? Even with not optimised mods there are no ram and vram exceed but fps go even below.
    Seems like my pc i more than enough to handle between 20-30 ai cars on any ttack and race conditions but rFactor refuse to use the resources in terms of fps produced.
    I really don't know what can be causing this scenario, I even overclocked the cpu to 4.8ghz but fps and performance were the same.
    If anyone more experienced with pc and how components work can explain this I will be grateful! This is very very strange! I forgot to mention that cpu and gpu temps not going over 60 degrees so thermal throtling is off the table.

8. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

try with 0 AI, is your performance better ?

9. darkojovanoski1986

Of course it is. But that is expected. I go high with fps as my monitor can handle, around 165 fps.

10. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

if all is fine with zero AI, you have no issue at all, you expect too much from your hardware with AI. I had your CPU long time ago, I wasn't happy, I had frame drops, and it was long time before PBR update. And when I have switched to i9 9900K, it was day and night. All was perfectly stable. I suggest a used 9900K, it's very cheap. Thanks me later

11. darkojovanoski1986

Thanks for the reccomendation. I will see if I can find one on the net. Thank you :)

12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

An AMD Ryzen 5 3600 handles it without issues. Maybe AMD is better than Intel after all. I see you want to waste some more of your time. Please, let us know how it goes.

13. darkojovanoski1986

Oh belive me I don't have time to waste but I love rfactor very much and this is heavy to reproduce in my mind. Sadly I can't afford new cpu and mb in near future so rf2 will be on hold until we meet again in the future.
    I can't figure it out how even more demanding games my pc handle without issues and much better fps. But again in the end of the day, there are many users like me who struggle with performance issues even on official content. I can only hope studio 397 can take a look at these issues becouse it's not normal that fast cpu and gpu can't handle this sim as others do. I think there is some issue in the code and how the sim use resources of the pc but that is not the subject here and I am not that good at that stuff...

14. Kahel

Kahel Registered

... even my 5700x doesn't 'handles it without issues'...

but I can see how a majority of people doesn't even notice those '''issues'''... depend a lot of the use case... personal sensitivity. (Just like some can enjoy a game a 30fps when other can't without a locked 120...)

About Platforms... a well tuned INTEL (Ring Bus Architecture) have a lower latency than any ryzen system... so it should perform a lot better (at gaming) at equivalent generation...

Pretty unlikely that it would be an Intel issue... as a matter of fact... even an old fully tuned i5 8600k would probably have better result than a fully tuned r5 3600x... (in gaming, at least...)

(in rfactor 2 specifically... had both intel/amd along the years... and ''''''issues'''''' always been a thing... with both)

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  15. Bernat

Bernat Registered

We're not talking about the same "issues". I play capped at 90fps with my GPU at ~100% and 20-30 AI cars, I haven't tried with more. Much different from OP's experience.

16. darkojovanoski1986

Bernat do you see difference in fps with the different classes? For example, if I use GT3 cars, no matter how many different cars are I get good fps but with the same number of AI cars but BTCC I get around 25 fps lower than GT3`s. I compare this with same track configuration (time of day and weather) and on official S397 track. I don`t get it really...

17. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Nice to see you didn't entirely gave up on the game. :D

If you are interested I can do a comparison between gt3/btcc... just let me know which track to test.

18. darkojovanoski1986

Daytona is most brutal on performance, at least for me...

19. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Ok give me 1 or 2 hours and i'll compare them... in both formation lap (usually poor performance) and in spread out race condition.

20. darkojovanoski1986

Thanks mate. Really appreciate!