[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Racesurface :)
    TIA

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Track surface here too. I think it's best to get that finalised and then move on to the scenery and track furniture.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That shouldn't be too hard as I've been focusing on that most of all. I was moving towards more of a functional release but if you are only interested in the race surface for now to get a feel for the track, that is okay too. I don't know how the majority will react to track which floats in midair and a complete lack of trees and terrain outside the guardrails :p

If that is okay with you guys, and no other (AIW) functionality is required for now I think I can do a release pretty soon. There is loads of texturing tweaks to be done but those have nothing to do with how it drives. I'll see what other people say and if they concur I'll try and get something out as quick as possible. If it's indeed only the race surface you can be bothered with at this point, which is understandable, then in theory it should be a matter of days. I'm just trying to manage expectations a bit ;)

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

wgeuze, I can guarantee that you will not be tarred, feathered and ran out of town in a wheel barrow.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

It would be good to see the surface finalised but also a trip to drive whilst it`s floating in mid air with nothing else around :p

Go for it wgeuze. :)

6. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Rainbow Road!

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is settled then. I've worked on the road surface yesterday, not much to be done aside from tweaking the materials. For example I feel the normal map is too strong and I'm getting some obvious tiling patterns as a result. Also, some questions:

- There is a distinct difference between viewer.exe and devmode. Everything in Devmode seems washed out or very dark, what could cause this difference?
    - Is the AIW portion bugged of the latest build? Last time I checked I got nice big cross icons on the points of the paths I'd driven, but now they are barely visible flat lines, almost like joints in 3dsmax.

I'll spend the rest of the week tweaking the current textures a bit and making sure there is a starting line and a grid. Providing all the garages and pit positions should at least allow for some testing through all types of sessions. I wouldn't recommend actually racing it online or anything though. A friday evening release is looking quite possible right now.

Running the Renault 3.5 on it, even on green conditions, wow, you can lap these very very fast around the track! :)

I might do a test this evening to see how it looks in singleplayer, and to see how it drives with the Camaro :p

Nightmares... I worked as a tester for Nintendo and guess what game I worked on for a couple of months :p Rainbow track and that track in space, I curse theeee!!!

edit:
    Now I think of it, the track can do with some collision as well, none of the guardrails or walls have it I believe :p

edit2:
    Can't believe I'm almost working a year on this... you wouldn't tell it looking at the track though... Ah well, spare time, what are you going to do about it..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Trying to atleast get it into singleplayer, it worked a while ago, but now rF2 crashes to desktop at 95% of loading..

The trace.txt:

Code:
    TRACE LEVEL = 10
    tracelog.cpp  139: Command line: "+path=".." +hash=####HIDDEN#### trace=10"
    main.cpp      236: FPU=0x0009001f
    game.cpp     1693: Entered Game::Enter()
    osman.cpp     727: Entered OSMan::Enter()
    plrfile.cpp  2895: Entered PlayerFile::Enter()
    plrfile.cpp  2035: Attempting to save to D:\rFactor2\UserData\player\player.TMP
    plrfile.cpp  2068: Retcode: 0 for renaming to D:\rFactor2\UserData\player\player.PLR
    hwinput.cpp  7535: Entered HWInput::Enter()
    hwinput.cpp  7536: HKL=0xf0010409
    vidman.cpp   1726: Entered VidMan::Enter()
    specialfx.cp 3452: Entered SpecialFX::Enter()
    dynman.cpp    711: Entered DynMan::Enter()
    sound.cpp    1332: Entered Sound::Enter()
    onscreen.cpp 3507: Entered OnScreen::Enter()
    game.cpp     1748: Entered Game::Setup()
    hwinput.cpp  7614: Entered HWInput::Setup()
    hwinput.cpp   646: No device, not reading keyboard
    options.cpp  4815: Entered Options::Setup()
    O_AppObj.cpp 2795: Initiate options object creation
    O_OSC.cpp    2945: Entered Options_OSC_Reader::ReadOSC()
    vidman.cpp   1319: Trying to Play Bink File:  D:\rFactor2\Installed\MovieFiles\ISILogo.bik
    MovieMan.cpp  120: Error locating video file D:\RFACTOR2\INSTALLED\MOVIEFILES\ISILOGO.BIK
    MovieMan.cpp  120: Error locating video file D:\RFACTOR2\INSTALLED\MOVIEFILES\ISILOGO.BIK
    vidman.cpp   1319: Trying to Play Bink File:  D:\rFactor2\Installed\MovieFiles\ALL_TRACKS_AND_CARS_10.bik
    MovieMan.cpp  120: Error locating video file D:\RFACTOR2\INSTALLED\MOVIEFILES\ALL_TRACKS_AND_CARS_10.BIK
    MovieMan.cpp  120: Error locating video file D:\RFACTOR2\INSTALLED\MOVIEFILES\ALL_TRACKS_AND_CARS_10.BIK
    vidman.cpp   1319: Trying to Play Bink File:  D:\rFactor2\Installed\MovieFiles\PreGame.bik
    MovieMan.cpp  120: Error locating video file D:\RFACTOR2\INSTALLED\MOVIEFILES\PREGAME.BIK
    MovieMan.cpp  120: Error locating video file D:\RFACTOR2\INSTALLED\MOVIEFILES\PREGAME.BIK
    tire_manager 1370: Non-existent tire brand ""
    tire_manager 1370: Non-existent tire brand ""
    O_OSC.cpp    3125: Exited Options_OSC_Reader::ReadOSC()
    O_AppObj.cpp 2887: Options object creation successful
    specialfx.cp 3458: Entered SpecialFX::Setup()
    steward.cpp  8290: Entered Steward::Setup()
    dynman.cpp    751: Entered DynMan::Setup()
    sound.cpp    1348: Entered Sound::Setup()
    render.cpp   1283: Entered Render::Setup()
    onscreen.cpp 3513: Entered OnScreen::Setup()
    plrfile.cpp  2935: Entered PlayerFile::Setup()
    plrfile.cpp  2035: Attempting to save to D:\rFactor2\UserData\player\player.TMP
    plrfile.cpp  2068: Retcode: 0 for renaming to D:\rFactor2\UserData\player\player.PLR
    game.cpp     1785: Entered Game::Init()
    game.cpp     1789: got past replayman init
    vidman.cpp   1961: Entered VidMan::Init()
    ai_db.cpp    3219: Entered AIDatabase::Init()
    steward.cpp  8307: Entered Steward::Init()
    steward.cpp  2487: Could not find glow "CAUTIONGLOWGLOW_01"
    steward.cpp  2487: Could not find glow "CAUTIONGLOW_01"
    hwinput.cpp  7657: Entered HWInput::Init()
    specialfx.cp 3564: Entered SpecialFX::Init()
    dynman.cpp    762: Entered DynMan::Init()

The only clue are the two lines about cautionglow_01, but could that really be a showstopper? And if so, why can I load the track in devmode?

Another strange thing since messing with the AIW, I can't drive more than 2 or 3 laps without Devmode crashing to desktop as well while working with AIW stuff.

It's a good thing I'm testing this beforehand, because right now no matter what I do, it's not working in singleplayer..

edit:
    I'll do some visual tweaks, the more I look at the road texture the more I hate it, tiles way too obvious, but don't want to end up with an out of scale road texture either...

RealRoad is actualy working on the grasscrete as well now, it still has a temporary normal material in v0.04 which I didn't realise was the case. I'll just might do a custom racegroove texture for both the road and kerbs/grasscrete while I'm at it to try and improve the road. Hopefully I can get the track to work in singleplayer before Saturday otherwise it'll take longer obviously.

edit2:
    Forgot to mention, on a totally green track I did a 1:42.xxx with the Corvette. I imagine on a fully rubbered in track and a good setup, the 1.:26.xxx I saw in an iRacing video is very much possible on my version of this circuit. Hopefully this means it's pretty close to the real thing! :)

edit3:
    Could the entire thing be a faulty AIW issue? I might redo the AIW entirely and see if the problem persists.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

AIW is common crash - issue with tracks. Might be worth to check it out...

Cheers!

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks JKA I will check it out. What is also something to try is to split up the main track surface into parts, maybe that will help as well as it is getting quite big :)

I fixed the tiling on the road and I'm more happy with it now, time to try and redo the AIW, I really hope that helps. If that doesn't, I simply don't know what will to be honest :X

Here is the updated road texture and now working realroad on the grasscrete :) (still stock racegroove, I'll stick to problem solving for now)
    [​IMG]

edit:
    Still no luck, getting not a single error message doesn't really help, and trace.txt isn't all that clear either... I'll try removing all the lights next time, see if that works, only clue left!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Before tearing your scene apart...

Do AIW again from scratch. Copy your original to safe place and make simple AIW for testing purposes (main path, pitpath with branches and one garage spot). AIW problems rarely leave any trace to the logs.

Also, do you have all x-planes setup correctly?

Cheers!

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is the problem, that is exactly what I did, and I've been hotlapping with 4 AI cars in Devmode as well. Made a light_rubber.rrbin while I was at it.

I didn't have the pitpath last time around, maybe that is a prerequisite that must be met next to a main and fast path for a track to function. The other I can think of is elimination, start with only the road and work my way down in the list.. That'll be tedious though.. Don't count on anything for friday :X

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  13. Kev

Kev Registered

I could help with AIW probably if track geometry, trackside land and armcos (or placeholders limiting flyoffs of the track) are set.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks for the offer. The AIW is so basic right now, there's just nothing which can go wrong really, it has:

4 garages
    2 pit positions
    4 grid positions

main path
    fast path
    pitlane path

I'm starting to think I am doing something wrong in the packaging process.. Someone else offered me to take a look yesterday so he has the latest files at this time.

edit:
    Your post does remind me I forgot to do any collisions so far, will do that today :)

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It works, thanks to Jka! :)

In my inexperience, I included references to the package MAS file in the scn, which made sense to me somehow... I understand now that that is causing the issue cause those MAS files aren't in the track, the track is in the MAS files. Rookie mistake ;)

And yes, the Camaro drives wonderfully on this track :)
    [​IMG]

Anyway.. Thanks to this issue, I will not make the deadline I set for myself so I am moving it to next week.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  16. tjc

tjc Registered

Glad you got it fixed up wgeuze...

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks tjc, really had some fun racing the AI in the Camaro's, awesome car. I think between the 370z and that one there can be quite some cool races to be had :)

Anyway, I'll get some more things going now, at least a full grid and collision for all the walls and guardrails. When there is time left I can see about some minor things but that will be trivial. As it is now, I need to re-import some things but after that, if all else fails, I will just upload that for you guys to check out.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Sounds good. :)

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I got the maximum width of that specific corner from a video which feature some volvo360's, where I believe they were almost as wide as the widest piece of kerb on that corner. If you have better reference, I'd really like to have it :)

edit:
    This is the same corner and position almost, I also noticed I completely forgot to place the anti-cutting parts :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Small update of the situation:

- Added a full grid now
    - Pacecar pitspots
    - Pitlane lines
    - Anti cut turtles added in 2nd chicane, also made them all a hair higher

Hopefully this grants a more complete package so it can be raced/tested better. The pitlane however is kicking my ass a bit as I discovered it's a bit off, or my lines are off, so that takes some time to double check and fix. If anything I can shift some lines 75cm* or so and that should solve the issue. It's not much, but once I noticed I just can't ignore it any longer...

Depending on the pitlane, which will be a bit rough around the edges, I think a release this week is still possible. If I don't make it, because of the discovered issue with the pitlane, I'll postpone a week, but that is really all I should need. Despite it being 'only' being an alpha, it does make sense to be able to properly drive through the pitlane for now. IF anything else will happen, an 'emergency' alpha 0.1 version is already uploaded to prevent disappointment :)

as always the problem with relatively low res google earth/bing images, measurements for small objects and sections can be quite off due to their image processing thingy. Measure a white line anywhere on a track and it can come up as 50 centimeters wide sometimes...

Having driven some more in singleplayer with my older working build, I must say, for slower cars, this layout is great. Clio, Megane, Camaro, Corvette, can't wait to race it! Even against my own AI I had fun :) Everything up from a Formula Renault 3.5 is going to be boring sadly :p

edit:
    Fixed the issue with the pitlane, it was indeed almost a meter short in width :) Now tomorrow I'll have to map that thing and create a new texture for the painted drain, and finish two other textures before Thursday evening. That's going to be tight :X

This is the rough version of it now, white lines are done, but the red part, the drain, is going to be a seperate texture. Also need to make sure it works with realroad as well ^^
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013