Wishlist for Q4 2022 / Q1 2023

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by coasting&cruising, Oct 28, 2022.

1. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

- Refactoring networking code: make loading other players asynchronous (use a separate networking thread). Fix all the join/leave lags/stuttering, and other stuttering/lags due to netcode. Ensure UI (switching sessions) and multiplayer racing are fine with large 30+ grids (including for lower-end systems).
    - Profile and fix other cpu-load-related stuttering (in particular for large 30+ grids, and for lower-end systems too).
    - Performance optimizations: add very low poly versions of tracks (eg. pits or audience stands as a single polygon box), which are activated when graphics settings are at min. Allow a specific graphics option to enable them.
    - Replays: fix usability issues (useful/basic UI functionality is missing atm, like to go to next/prev car depending on position on track, or go to prev/next lap) and performance issues (replays have stuttering or lower fps compared to racing mode).
    - Give the latest tire specs to entry-level open wheelers (Tatuus, usf2000), to Gt3s, Lmp cars, and other basic/popular content.
    - Publish latest tire specs "template" examples for modders to use.
    - Fix the need to own all the cars to join a server

Edit, more points:
    - stronger horizon lock options, better support for VR and huge displays (40''+) to avoid motion sickness
    - Halo transparency at 75 % for Tattus and Formula Pro. Longer transparent segment (working for higher seat positions)
    - revamped and expanded HUDs while driving. Add a radar. Options to have multiple HUDs (without having to toggle between them), and position them in the screen. Fix the delta not working in practice sometimes when you rejoin a server until you improve your best laptime.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    delapecs likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No such thing as a poor wishlist item (that's why they're wishes), but I wonder if you could elaborate on that last one:

The basic concept is simple, the implementation not so much. At least some physics data is required from other cars to allow the prediction code to work, while making the feature work perfectly would also require the models, textures, and sounds. This very quickly becomes impossible to achieve with open game content while avoiding very lengthy join delays.

So, honest question: assuming it was made possible to get the minimum data required to make the opponent car(s) move and behave properly* (so physics data essentially), how would you see the solution for graphics and sound? While bearing in mind different cars will be different sizes.

*I'm assuming a lot, because it would take a lot of rewriting to make that happen and assure stakeholders the data is secure. I don't think we'd see progress in this area (racing against non-owned/subscribed content) for years, and given the content prices are linked to this (ie cars are priced the way they are because you need many related ones) I don't know that it's something worth pursuing for either side. (IMO)

(I'd also point out that the closest to that 'ideal' solution above, for free content, is just to make the missing content autodownload when you join. Which we sort of already have, but not in as user-friendly a fashion as we might like)

3. lagg

lagg Registered

@Lazza ,i don't think that race against cars that you don't own tecnically is so difficult.
    rF2 could create a hash file when installs a new bought car. That file could relate your SteamId with the car and then rF2 could only show in the UI the cars that you own.
    That would avoid the piracy.

Another different thing is if S397 wants that we buy all the content to enter a server (that i understand too).

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I don't think it's that easy. Right now the game doesn't care about what you own or don't, it just downloads and install what you have on Steam. Changing it would mean the game should download and install content that you don't own on Steam and decide what you can drive or not drive depending on sales information on Steam. Not very difficult but many it would probably require changes in the way content is handled inside and outside of rF2.

5. lagg

lagg Registered

@Bernat , that woukd be the purpose of the hash file.
    When rF2 installs the bought car, can create a hash file that links your Steam id and the car.
    When rF2 shows the content in the UI, the cars (DLC) that don't have hash file or the hash isn't correct, aren't show. Then you can't select those cars to drive, but are installed, because are downloaded when you enter the server.

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  6. GameOne

GameOne Registered

Customize GT3 + BMW M4 GT3 BOP please

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would like to see the entire GT3 fleet get overhauled. Bring them up to speed with the new tires and new sound engine. Finish the PBR shaders for the cockpits of the older cars that never got the Ferrari GT3 treatment. And homgenize them with the current pace of the GTE field so they are jusssst a little slower and don't intermix so easily when AI races are run.
    And I still don't know how to eliminate the bonus cars like the Mclaren Shadow cars other than manually booting them or creating a rFmod.

8. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

SHADOW fix, AI fix and of course an update for all the cars.

delapecs likes this.
  9. DamijanD

DamijanD Registered

- Ingame radar/helicorsa
    - Ingame basic monitor of controls (pedals position)
    - Another option for live timesheet (based on current positions on track and not real race order - so that even if being lapped you can see that car is 3 seconds behind you)

coasting&cruising likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

11. Emery

Emery Registered

12. Danny Vincent

Danny Vincent Registered

+1 on the GT3 refresh. They are showing thier age now and its a popular class so it would be great to see these brought up to the standard of the recent content. Would also be nice if the weird steering feel of the Mercedes could investigated while theyre at it.

coasting&cruising and davehenrie like this.
  13. Sergitroon

Sergitroon Registered

Custom offline championship, Podium scene, Victory animations on driver's arms by pressing buttons

14. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I add a slider FFB for the kerbs, I think it's easy to add it with the right frequency, and with a filter...

15. Craigbowie

Craigbowie Registered

Ability to choose how many pitstops the cars (AI) must make in a race. Fix up the dreaded yellow flag issues... cars behaving badly under the pace car!

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Q1 2023 mate. You're aiming for a much longer timeframe!

Seriously though, mandated pitstops (and other, similar, 'rules' settings) have been on many wishlists for a long time. I really wouldn't expect any movement here any time soon - as much as we want them, there are bigger fish to fry...

17. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I'd say make the game work for AMD cards, without requiring 7 month old drivers that aren't optimized for many games.

18. philman

philman Registered

I wish:
    -that the s397 modellers give us back the reflection of the light beams from headlights and other light sources on a wet track.
    -that the sounds of the tires are finally more realistic by differentiating between dry and wet ground.

19. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

"Main" priorities focused on improving the physics engine and updating the physics of as many cars as possible.

But hey... As far as I'm concerned, this goes for all the next quarters, and SHOULD have been the priority since 2016 when S397 took over rFactor 2.

And that's of course not worth leaving everything aside, just reprioritize based on that.

Personal opinion !

20. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

only a little wish: make time acceleration for Ctrl+x faster.

pilAUTO likes this.