Windscreen and wheels for clio

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Gobrot, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Gobrot

Gobrot Registered

Problem is using your format i.e. clio_23alt.dds then clio_23window.dds and clio_23EXTRA0.dds the wheels and windows are still not showing, it just shows the default windows and wheels.

However using clio_23altwindow.dds and clio_23altEXTRA0.dds they do work on the alt car, however they also make 2 new cars with window and wheels as a skin.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  2. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

I know what you mean Gobrot.

Build 101 has also completely wiped out the ( non-intentional to be able to do this in the first place, i'm sure, but very handy ) ability to just drop a skin in the installed folder for the car in question and immediately see it in game.

This "ALT" naming convention is actually totally pointless in my opinion, unless i'm being very stupid ( which could be a possiblility ). Here's why :

Take the NGTR for example, in the teams .mas file, there is 1 team with the ALT suffix. So the point of that is what?

You can make 1 custom skin for the NGTR and that's it or am i missing the point? What happens when people get together with their mates in an online league? You can see your skin and no-one else's?

There aren't even any "ALT" suffixed teams for the BT20.

Why you can't just do the IL2 Sturmovik or Skyrim/Fallout method of having a Skins/Data folder and dumping all custom skins in to their respective vehicle folders in there? Then if you go online and someone is using a skin that you have already downloaded you can instantly see it, if not, you just see a stock skin.

If there is a proper way to do this i would love to know, as so far, for me to release a skinpack, i also have to include all the parts for the vehicle too, which at least doubles, if not triples the download size.

3. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

With Build 101 Skins finally works for me.

There is no need for a ALT suffix in the ".mas" file. You can use the ALT naming with every car you want.

example for Clio:

Clio_23ALT111.dds
    Clio_23ALT111WINDOW.dds
    Clio_23ALT111EXTRA0.dds

Clio_12ALT088.dds
    Clio_12ALT088WINDOW.dds
    Clio_12ALT088EXTRA0.dds

Also naming like Clio_23ALT111_Blue.dds or whatever name you like seems possible

Just create a folder like "Renault_Clio" and put all your Clio Skins in there.

Same procedure with all the other cars.

4. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Hi Gridgirl, thanks for the help.

Just tried with the NGTR. It doesn't work for me. Where are you creating the "Renault_Clio " folder that you are putting your clio skins into?

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I would like to get more into skinning if it was auto download, I would just upload my files to my free webspace, but think that is a very long way away I guess. (please surprise us ISI :))
    It would be great to skin any part of the car, not just the car paint, etc the driver suit, helmet, steering wheel, dashboard, dial colours, anything. Is that possible now?

6. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

np:p

Skinfolders in -> ... UserData\Player\Settings\

For the GTR -> ...UserData\Player\Settings\NissanGTR
    For the 370z -> ...UserData\Player\Settings\Nissan370zGT4

Foldernames are equivalent to Modfolders in -> ... Installed\Vehicles

7. guod

guod Registered

Take a look at this video I did a couple nights ago. It shows the folder structure, where to place files and folders. Still trying to figure out how to avoid getting the window dds showing inside the preview. Try to view in full screen HD if you can so the file names are viewable.

We are about to run a short series of these at Croft, Putnum Park, Botniaring, and Brianza.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  8. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Thank you both. I was putting them in ...UserData\Player\Settings\NissanGTR\1.1 folder.

I will try the above method when i get home from work. Cheers !

9. Gobrot

Gobrot Registered

would be alot easier if skins were done where you just add a skin to desired folder for example with the clio, userdata>player>settings>Renualt_clio>number of car to skin then inside this folder have anycarname.dds anycarname_window.dds and anycarname_extra0.dds,

if skins are going to be multiple files then maybe make it so .zip files can be used to keep files together while also keeping their file size to a reasonable size.

For an example take how trackmainia works with their car skin sysytem, something along similar lines would work extremely well.

10. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Call me anal, but another flaw with this system shown in the video above is that the car select icons are also pointless. The car shown in your car select screen is NOT the yellow number 5 you have chosen. The fact that every other car in sequence is skinned with the window texture is also stupid.