Windows 10 removes runtimes after major updates

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 88mphTim, Nov 1, 2017.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim Staff Member

If you are experiencing startup crashes, this is one reason.

It seems fairly random, but does seem to happen more with the Home than Pro editions... The runtimes rF2 requires are often removed during major Windows 10 updates (and removed every time when upgrading from Windows 7 or 8/.1).

You can find the runtimes you need to reinstall by navigating to this folder:
    steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\_CommonRedist\vcredist

And yes, you need to reinstall all of them. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Leynad, antton, kro388th and 5 others like this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

By reinstall, you mean run the executables in both subdirectories (4 exe files total)?

Cote Dazur likes this.
  3. 88mphTim

88mphTim Staff Member

Yep

kro388th likes this.
  4. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Hi Tim.

I don't know, if it's related, but yesterday I had isues with my rF2 installation and it turned out, that the folders (junction points) of my "cache" and "packages" folder had dissappeared ...

I always had those two linked with a junction point (mklink /j) to one of my HDD RAIDs, for saving precious SSD space and it always worked just fine.

Consequently, when I checked the local files for errors, it wanted to download some +10GB from Steam.
    I interrupted that download, exited Steam, manually copied back the cache and packages folders from my RAID and restarted Steam.
    After that, everything was back at a normal state, file verification completed without errors and rF2 was running as expected.

To verify my finding, I deleted the two folders and linked them back again.
    When I started another verification of my local rF2 files, the links links vanished again and the +10GB download started all over.

This is Win10x64 Pro v1709 (2017 fall creators update).

Cheers,
    Max

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Max Dralle I think that's totally unrelated to runtimes, as your symptom is totally different (downloading everything again, instead of crashing). It's a good reason to have some idea what you're doing when you use mklink, so that if this sort of thing happens you know what to check, as you did. I advocated some time ago using mklink, but I hope people understand what it is before they do, so that if/when windows loses the linked folders, they won't blame the game for it.

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

In my case Mklink has been removed at least twice by RF2 updates, so I don't know if you can blame Windows either (I suppose RF2 update deleted the whole directory cache before overwriting it).

So you download many useless GB again, if you have a limited amount of GB / month of download, you are out of luck, it's nobody fault - believe us -, wait till next month before playing again.

Cheers.

7. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Thanx for your feedback, guys.

It's just that it never happened before this fall's Creators Update, so I thought, there might be a relation.

Only on 2nd sight, I noticed, that Tim probably meant the installation state of those run times, not the installation files themselves being removed.

@Tim
    Should I open up a separate topic on my issue about vanishing junctions ?
    Lgel seems to have seen rF2 updates being the reason for this.

Cheers!
    Max

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim Staff Member

Well it's to do with a directory being removed prior to rewriting, I'm not sure they will want to do it a different way than that. A new thread would probably be useful though so it can be reported and see if we can do it a way that doesn't remove the directory you're using.

9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

It was already reported in January of this year in Tech Support, so no need to create a new thread.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/amount-of-space-on-ssd-hdd.54170/#post-875475
    No one replied and problem still there.
    Cheers.

10. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Thanx, Guys.

I'll re-post in that thread.