Windowed vs. Full Screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Have never used Windowed, ever, for rF1 or rF2, but thought I should try it in case it would help address the micro-stutters I get now that I have switched to an AMD card.

A simple question--you can't run windowed mode at your monitor's full resolution? Only something below full? Mine just stays at full screen even when I select Windowed until/unless I reduce resolution. That's by design? If so, I won't ask the rationale. It doesn't fix the micro-stutters even at reduced resolution.

2. crz

crz Registered

You don't see a difference between windowed and fullscreen (no border) when running the same resolution as windows does. Running windowed mode got rid of the alt+tab crashes I had frequently.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So there is a difference even though you can't see it?

4. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Windowed mode gives you input lag.

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I think I see a border but will have to confirm when I get home. I definitely see a full border in rF1. I also seem to remember a borderless windowed setting being mentioned somewhere?

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Why?

7. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I guess because of windows interference. But for sure you get lag

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

+1.

Allows to CTRL-Esc to Motec or Photoshop without crashes as many times as you want. Can't feel difference in input lag vs full screen when driving (every one has his own limitations).

I use a 60 hz monitor and maxframerates set to 65 in plr, no sync, runs super smooth including replays with 946 (a joy to drive since last build).

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

I remember the last i did used windowed mode it was in borders.

Marc i find that rf2 is a different animal above 120 fps. Don't know why exactly but not only rf2, i find every game performs better above 120fps, but rf2 needs it to be precise, stutter and free of enhanced lag by low fps.

I know you tryed diff settings but did you test it above 120 fps ?

I' m using it above 120 fps and it performs great, with very low to non existing micro stutter, the most of the time.

11. TechAde

TechAde Registered

In some cases I think it's because max pre rendered frames only works full-screen. When running windowed (at least with Aero enabled) it's DWM that controls the max pre rendered frames setting, not rF2.

12. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

13. Emery

Emery Registered

As I recall, turning off Aero gets rid of lag in windowed mode.

Never tested for lag as I use windowed mode when I need to flip back & forth to Windows, either as a testing environment in DevMode or fiddling with accessory programs/reference material.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Interesting. I can only add that if I use sync (via full screen) I can definitely feel input lag versus no sync and floating frame rates. The karts are especially wild with the input lag. I think that windowed puts sync on automatically (or often) for most people?

Anyway, I have no way to get up to 120 FPS consistently without the sim looking like crap, so won't be able to see if the stutters disappear. I only know I had perfectly smooth stutter free performance, at an overall lower frame rate, with my prior NVIDIA 770GTX. R9 290X with double the memory increased FPS by about 20% (I know, not very impressive increase), but at the expense of stutters now and again. They are predictable in that it is certain places on a track that they occur, 100% of the time. For example, Practice with 20 AI, leaving the pits at Portugal--just as you get to the pit exit light area and just before and during driving under the overhead sign causes stutters. There are dozens of examples, but they are all location specific like that. If I am driving a poorly optimized car like the NSX, they are worse. Not sure if that's because the FPS is lower to begin with or something else.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

There is no aero to turn off in Windows 8, it's technically enabled all the time, just without the window transparency. Not sure about Windows 7, but my guess is there is still more input lag than in full screen with aero off.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

Don't know exactly but it is even not stutter free with higher fps, when you mean the hick ups i do get here and there as well, while hovering around 120 fps still, mainly in the pit area i mean.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Window yes, not full screen window.

You don't see a border.

The windows key works 101% ( forget alt-tab)

You can stick as many windows on top or under a running rF2 you want with no pause.

While racing I can bring up dedicated menu and restart easy

Best thing since sliced bread in W7.

I try the same thing in W8......... it sucks, no where near as smooth.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Hick-up might be a better term, yes. If they were there before, they were so small to be mostly imperceptible. Now they are annoying after my big "upgrade." At least the R9 works beautifully on everything else!

19. stonec

stonec Registered

Windowed mode, border or not (it's both the same), has more input lag than full screen. Especially if you run Windows 7 and have aero enabled (transparent windows). Windows 8 aero is a bit lighter but still not same as fullscreen.

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes the 290 works well in general and i can understand how annoying stutter or hick ups can be sometimes but i have no idea why that is.