Windowed vs. Full Screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

BULLCOCK

I use fullscreen window for 3 years

Don't tell me it has lag, I have never ever had a issue

I can open dedicated menu " WHILE I am RACING " smooth as can be and my fps does not drop !

I said 3 YEARS AGO it will depend on your OS, hardware and setup combo.

It can work smooth as fullscreen .........trustme.

NOW "depending on what you already have open or want to open while racing" .... that is ANOTHER STORY ENTIRELY.

'I NEVER SAID it will run ANYTHING smooth !

All I know is I can run and open dedicated menu anytime I like smooth as can be.
    I can bring up a VLC movie on top in window and watch while I race .....seriously.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

No offense, but your arguments would normally be the last thing I trust. When you run the game in windowed/borderless mode, there is no tearing effect visible, because the OS controls V-sync. No tearing means that OS is buffering frames, which in turn means more input lag. Simple Google search will provide you with the following answer:

When running in a window the game has no control over backbuffer presentation. Because the game draws into a window it is the operating system's window renderer that handles actually putting the image on the screen. Windows Vista/7 forces vsync on for the desktop to eliminate tearing when you drag stuff around, while older versions had it off iirc.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lmao

my arguements ? about what ?

I driven fullscreen windowed mode for 3 years and said so 3 years ago ............seems like you are the ones keep it going ?

rF2 is not high latency or laggy it is as smooth as anything for me ?

No and I don't run 60fps to save wasted frames and lower CPU temp either. :rolleyes:

I run 120fps with 60hz monitor ( laggy blurry low latency 60Hz I been told by others. :rolleyes: )
    I have record laps in my preferred car with sublime steering .

=====

Come to Spa I will put a movie up and the dedicated menu up and play with it while lapping and still beat you ! ......... lol ;)

Wouldn't say much for your locked 60/120fps, fullscreen with a 120Hz monitor would it ? lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

There I did a full lap SMOOTH as anything while VLC shows 23fps and fullscreen window

If you are call me a liar well you can all just get stuffed.

[​IMG]

7. stonec

stonec Registered

I wonder if you even bothered to read the quote in my last post. You can call windowed mode smooth as you wish, it doesn't change the fact that windowed mode runs through OS sync buffer, which introduces latency. If you try to debate this fact you are indeed a liar unless you present a link that states otherwise.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well, I would just like to try this windowed mode that DD is using. How do you get that? When I pick Windowed at native resolution, I get exactly the same screen as if I pick full screen. If I pick windowed at a lower resolution, I get a traditional bordered window. Let me guess...there is a .JSON file tweak required?

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What FPS were you getting in rF2?

10. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You just press the windows key to get up the bottom bar/process bar... While in windowed mode.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When you select windowed with your fullscreen resolution, it is windowed but it does fill the whole screen. If you have a second (or third...) screen and only use the centre screen for the game, you can see a small window border on that side screen(s), but the centre screen looks just like a fullscreen app. But, you can alt-tab as much as you want (generally) because it's not like a 'proper' alt-tab. On the downside, on many setups using aero interface it will force vsync, and you may have slightly lower FPS overall.

It wasn't always like this in rF2 (originally the windowed mode actually looked like a windowed mode) but it's been a proper full screen windowed (hehe) for a long long time now. I preferred it for the stability and being able to do admin stuff without rF2 crashing.

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

My latest struggle with rF2 performance going way out of whack ended up being resolved by using Aero, or should I say turning Aero back on. In one of the threads someone said Aero adds input lag yada so I turned it off and forgot about doing that and then everything went haywire with GPU utilization dropping along with FPS no matter how many AI, etc. Drove me nuts until I remembered that I had turned Aero off and presto everything smooth again and maxed out graphics + 29 AI etc. Makes absolutely no sense unless rF2 video sync doesn't work with Nvideo? Regardless I don't care I'm done chasing 3 extra FPS or minimum input lag without tearing, etc. Luckily, perhaps input lag doesn't affect me as much since I read somewhere is not as important with historic vehicles but I still don't care if it does because I'm only racing against myself and AI nowadays anyway...

13. stonec

stonec Registered

I presume you are running the game in windowed mode. Then Aero forces vsync as mentioned in post above, which might explain why Aero off you gives you more dropping FPS. Running in Fullscreen mode should be comparable with Windowed mode and Aero off.

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yeah, windowed. Why would absence of vsync cause FPS to drop? Regardless, it appears that Aero is able to force vsync while rF2 video settings are not (Nvidia vsync is set to application controlled). Might be worth someone getting to the bottom of that... Might not :p

15. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I have read similar claims from DurgeDriven all over ISI forums and my question is: How long time does ISI allow DurgeDriven to give horrible misinformation like this ?

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...t-is-invisible?p=357411&viewfull=1#post357411

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He's been saying that sort of stuff for ages, since well before I blocked his posts in fact. The thing is different people have different experiences, like I made the mistake of saying all Win7 Aero users would have vsync forced when running in windowed mode (in response to DD saying he was running windowed mode, with no tearing, but there was no vsync) and someone I'd consider knowledgeable popped up and said they didn't get vsync forced with windowed mode and aero on. So I'd be reluctant to make sweeping statements and I don't think it's ISI's place to go around policing what's being said, even if they had the time.

I also don't think there's a need to go chasing DD's older posts and complaining about each of them. I don't see his posts and they don't bother me at all :)

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yes, you can.

I dont get lag micro stutters or latency or any other BS.

I Used FSW since Build60 ( Fullscreen Windowed Mode ) NOT a WINDOW ( that does lag )

I got 2nd fastest no tow lap F3 Eve at 2 tracks rFRank ( the fastest 2 laps beat me are not legal / bump tow )

How could I do that with latency or stutter

:rolleyes: :confused:

I said 3 years ago in a thread this may not work for everyone but because it does work for others.................... I must be lying. :rolleyes: lool

P.S. and DON'T touch ALT-TAB .............. USE the WINDOWS KEY !!!

works 101% I multitask 10 things smoothly and watch online lappers ..too easy

18. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

If DD has right why does Nvidia have G-Sync monitors and why does AMD work with free sync, why don't they just mail DD ?
    DD you childish claims about fastest lap is not a proof put some hard core fact or bee silent.

Lazza DD`S latest quote is from yesterday about this and he made me to spend my quality time to find out if is claim is true or a lie he owns me explanation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well it beats me why there is no one else can back me up FSW single monitor works great for me. ? loool ?

What I mean by fastest lap okay.......

I can do 2 x 30min sessions at Belgium and Monza , one fullscreen, one FSW.

Laptimes are the same !@! ERGO LATENCY DOES NO AFFECT MY LAPPING

If I had bad "bad" latency, stutter or anything else it would kill my laptimes.

You got any idea how much stuff like that costs a lap in F3 ? , ( slowest car in rF2 ) .....obviously not.

Now, is that so hard to understand ? :)

20. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't think you can prove few milliseconds of extra latency by laptimes. Brain is all the time predicting where car is going so it can compensate for some latency. I really doubt I would get notably different laptimes even with vsync on. Anyway, I will test this tomorrow, as I race in highest level rF2 league and I can normally replicate laptimes within a tenth or so.