Will rFactor 2 have ghost collision in the pits?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hybrid, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hybrid

Hybrid Registered

For example Race 07 has it. Sure its unrealstic thats true.
    But its sometimes so annoying you share pitboxes. You can edit the pitgroups etc and make some more pitboxes. But not everybody can do that. Would be so much easier to have a 60 car field and dont have to edit the pitgroups and pitboxes and just have ghost collision in the pits. :)

Thx for you answer. :)

2. ethone

ethone Registered

We'll see but if it's implemented, I'd prefer it to be an option so we can switch it on and off. I prefer to run with collisions turned on everywhere but I see the benefit of ghosting.

3. Hybrid

Hybrid Registered

Should be a option offcourse. :)

4. Hybrid

Hybrid Registered

I guess not then. :)

5. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

I think that would be approaching the issue from a completely wrong angle. rF2 should have a better pit allocation system so that inter-team pit sharing would not be possible. Even if there are 60 cars in the race, not all of them will pit at once, so the sim must be able to fund a spot that's currently free.
    Also if anyone wonders it is possible to have 40-60 independent pit spots at most rFactor tracks, I've done that. I hope I won't have to in rF2 :)
    [​IMG]
    This is Montreal.

6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

As far as I'm aware, in rF1, pit allocation is track dependant not rF.
    So that is something the track modders would have to consider.

7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It is and in the same time - it isn't.
    It is, because in rF 1 you have pitspots with garage spots connected to them. And in my opinion, that is correct approach. Having typically 2 garages per pitspot is how it is organized on real tracks.
    You can't put 60 pitspots in pitlane of Cadwell Park... on some tracks, there is just no space for that (if you want to do that properly and still have some space left to let other cars go by while you are on your pitspot ;-) ).

Of course, like with most things in rF, you are free to organize it to your tastes. You can prepare 60 pitspots for Cadwell... but it's like clapping with just one hand - difficult, but not impossible ;-)

It's up to tracks creators to prepare different versions, if neccesary (with different "garage to pitspot ratio" variants).

8. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

In rF1 most circuits are made to cater to that little know racing series that has mandatory 2 cars per team that aren't allowed to pit at once. :) Most racing series are NOT like that.

9. Marek Lesniak

Sorry, my bad. My post was supposed to be longer ;-)

Yes, you are right. In higher series (especially endurance) you typically have 2 garages per pitspot. So for example, if you have 40 garages, you will likely get max 20 pitspots. But that doesn't mean, you can have 40 garages AND 40 pitspots, for some touring car series... Those 40 pitspots simply won't fit. More possible, is to have then occupied 20 garages with 20 pitspots (so effectively you get one garage per one pitspot). Of course, I'm talking in general, because some tracks might be very specific about that (like Watkins Glen, where garages are on the paddock and in the pitlane area you only have pitspots).

10. ethone

ethone Registered

As a track maker you can control both pit and garage spots. What's the issue?

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Nice topic. Last posts made me think about a youtube movie I once saw. Luckily I could still find it :D

12. Marek Lesniak

Hahahahaha. Great finding!
    It should be played with Benny Hill theme and 2x faster :D

13. ethone

ethone Registered

So... the point is that some tracks have pit areas that are too are too narrow/short and we should have ghosting to still be able to place a hundred cars in them?

14. Hybrid

Hybrid Registered

Yes. As not everybody has the skill to make extra pitboxes in the pitlane etc. :)