Wierd/reversed FFB only some cars

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by tax, Jul 31, 2018.

1. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Sorry to revive this thread. It seems it's been discussed here at length in numerous different threads - but usually describing the same thing.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm currently making a FWD car - a VW Golf GTI - and I'm getting exactly the same issue.

NOTE - THIS IS NOT REVERSED FFB

The Car
    The car is built to mimic a UK series which tries to keep costs down and so runs mostly standard components. The gearbox and differential are standard, so the diff is OPEN. No clever LSD which might push the car to the inside of the corner.

The Problem
    When cornering with only small inputs or with low throttle inputs the car seems to behave normally - ie the car is pulling to the outside of the corner, or the wheel is trying to straighten (pulling the opposite way to the corner being taken). BUT when turning tighter and especially when applying high throttle input, the wheel all of a sudden begins pulling to the inside of the corner. This is so extreme that if you let go of the wheel, it will pull to the lock-stop on the inside.

Even though I have only owned RWD cars in real life for the last 11 years, I have owned a Peugeot 106 GTi and a Suzuki Swift GTi, both with standard differentials, and neither have had this characteristic when cornering. Both cars were owned in my late teens early 20s so they were driven hard, and recklessly.

So I'm now thinking I have made a mistake in the creation of the physics. And also wondering if there is maybe a mistake in the core physics of simulated FWD FFB.

Is the steering lock too much for the simulated diff/FWD physics to cope with so it overloads somehow and can't cope? Is there a problem in the suspension/chassis files which causes the wheel to drag once it goes beyond a certain steering angle? Is it the steering lock setting itself which is too much so the wheels are registering too much steering angle?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

How did you create the physics?
    Is the caster on the front axle set correctly?
    I guess that maybe could be a problem with the suspension/steering geometry.

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I know this is an old thread but most of the cars I’ve driven have been fwd road cars, I know they’re not race cars but none have felt anything close to this

4. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I think is because rFactor2\1 do not simulate a proper Macpherson geometry,it as to be emulated in some way :)