Why do you play rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kotakotakota, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Hectari

Hectari Registered

It's not just directed at you, others have done the same. For people who know what it means they will read it literally first before they realise, some may not realise what the poster means, it just causes confusion because people don't know what the symbol is meant to be used for. Just another silly thing to get lost in communication/translation.

It annoys me almost as much as when people say 'i could care less' when they are trying to say 'i couldn't care less'. That one has spread so much across the internet that the former is pretty much ingrained as meaning the latter. Idiots :D

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Mainly first and foremost for the feel for me. But i just feel so invloved in rF2's world, really cheesy i know but it's immersive as hell. Tonight i have raced on a track i have not touched for a long long time, one of the ISI original tracks from rF2 and i must of missed something first time round as graphically it did not impress me but tonight it was full of atmosphere.

I'm gonna upload a race tomorrow with the same settings. At times i was literally saying wtf to myself as the lighting looked amazing and the shadows of the cars casting on the barriers etc. rF2 has so much promise graphically.

I recently went and tried pCARS again and was impressed graphically but i seriously think rF2 looks better when you get the right settings and combo. pCARS look good in a holywood sense. It's like the Transformers or Michael Bay of the sim word, all flashy and effects everywhere to wow you but it lacks that atmosphere and immersion for me.

rF2 looks like a proper sim, really hard to explain, but it just feels authentic. Watching the cars in front of bumping up and down over the bumps was really cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  3. lamo

lamo Registered

Hi everybody,

my Sim history is RF1 -> Race/GTR Evo ->RF2 (and some others).
    I finally bought GPL, but that was couple of weeks befor RF2 Beta started. never played GPL again. :D

Why RF2? Well, because of the BT 20, Megane, Skippy and because of all the reasons mentioned before. I love the way it feels. I love the tiny little corrections I have to make during a fast lap to keep the car close to, but not over its (and my ) limits.
    No other Sim gives me that feeleing of doing some "hard work" during a race.
    In other Sims I think once you know the track and the car, its all the same, again and again. RF2 ist much more dynamic.

Think RF2 and I will have a long history together.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree, pcars has a lot of wow factor in it's graphics which look amazing, but you nailed it mate, amazing doesn't necessarily always mean life like, it could be more of an artistic camera lens sort of look, like a blockbuster movie full of effects, just like you said.

I really hope people are pushing ISI to keep increasing the visual to physics connection, although getting better I think it's still quite a bit behind just about all non-isi based sims.

Do you think it would help with advertising and sales? I think lots of people don't understand that RFactor has less of it's physics connected to it's graphics engine than most other sims, and maybe potential buyers get turned off when they see the physics in action in all those fancy slow motion videos of iracing, live for speed, netkar etc???.....

5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Here are racing games I've spent any significant time with, in vaguely chronological order.
    View attachment 5843
    My dad used to borrow a BBC Micro from his school (he is a teacher) on holidays so as a sub-10 year old i struggled with Revs during my holidays. I wasn't really ever any good at it.
    Indy500 and our first 486 :)
    Crammond time! The main reason I didn't have anything to do with F1C/ISI and Simbin.
    GP2 and GP2edit were a pretty major combo for me and how I spent my time :D
    Only wasted a bit of time on the PSX. Good fun with friends and better graphics than GP2 :)
    Didn't spend much time with GPL (I know...) since I was all about modern F1 - aka GP3.
    Didn't play GP4 too much, and then I saw some rF1 screenshots in 2006/2007...
    Have been working on Longford '67 for four years now :)

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I used gp2 and gp2 edit ohhh man

I used to play with the keyboard, and would play using the television cam, so fun, felt like it was a real race unfolding before my eyes, I had to play it using the low-res mode :( , remember there was an option to make everything hi res? my frames would plummit with it on lol

7. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Me, exactly everything you just said :D
    The kb steering help was good for external driving! I can remember a friend being amazed at me swinging through Monaco's swimming pool section from the trackside cam. It wasn't thaaaat hard. I remember you could get some good sharp sharp turns if you delay turn-in just a tad. And the spin-turn gear! and manually toggling F7 and the the traction control (faithful in the Benetton...).

Ah, SVGA, could never run it. For a while I think we still had the 486 so I was having to manage the graphics display options just for the VGA mode! Then got into pentiumII territory, still no SVGA :p

Memories galore...

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I've tried a few racing games/sims over the years and it was only the Arcady ones (dirt, f12010) that managed to gain a tinny portion of my interest for about 2 hours every 2 weeks on average at most. I had never driven a car or go kart before I first tried rf2, it was the tyre physics modelling video that sold me to try it (plus return policy). The moment I tried it I realised 2 things almost instantaneously. 1) That i now love racing and that i have to start karting irl and start irl driving lessons asap. 2) This is the game that's going to replace my time spent on flight sims and first person shooters by at least 90%. Neither of these points have changed over the last 12 months.

Without even haven driven a car, my natural reaction to it first time was that it felt natual and true to my expectations of irl physics.

9. Miro

Miro Registered

I am huge fan of open wheelers. Love F1 cars but the F2 car is just a blast. The more I play it the more I get into the car.
    Seriously first I thought it's not good at all but now I can't get enough of it. Meanwhile I can feel the difference in every tiny single change to the setup. And the big bonus on all the open wheelers in rF2, I am starting to love the tin top cars also.
    On top of that there are feutures in rF2 which I always have dreamed of in a racing sim (relaroad, dynamic weather / day night transition and much more simulated stuff).
    Just an hour ago I purchased another car in another sim to get back into it but man am I dissapointed. It just felt like driving a digital bee and the handling was so much worse. Fired up rF2 again, jumped into the F2 car and had a big smile on my face again.
    I didn't expect such a dramatic difference. Once you get inot rF2 there are not that much playable sims out there.
    I just can't wait for a orginized competetiv league out there in the F2's.
    Also waiting inpatient for the finished tyre simulation and the 6 sec boost for the car.

Whatever 2013 brings in terms of racing sims I know I'll stick with this one for a while.
    The graphics debatte should be soon over, for me already now rF2 is top in it's moments.
    It's totaly different to everything else out there, I really had some special moments with this sim and it's only getting better so looking forward to the future. :D

10. Jos

Jos Registered

@lamo

Looking at your avatar its time to install gtr2 with power and glory mod :)

11. SVO

SVO Registered

That's funny. I always tell my daughter or students after they say 'I could care less', that 'at least there's less caring you can still do'.

12. Muxi-Mux

Muxi-Mux Registered

When i see the number of players who are online in the lobby day by day - there should be a Counter-Thread "Why don't you play rF2 (online)". :(

13. SVO

SVO Registered

[​IMG]

Wife must not see this thread! Although I actually wear that T-Shirt quite often.

14. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

rF2 still has a bit of old school to it I think other developers have lost their minds on what Simulation should be ISI stays true to it roots. as does iPapy, I look forward to see if Assetto has a similar feeling to NKP but I think both SimBin and SMS have game engine problems.

15. SCampbell

SCampbell Registered

For me its definitely the new tire model. Also, the new environment reflections and dynamic track conditions are nice. The Env reflections still need to be optimized but they do add a nice touch.

The force feedback is awesome as well.

16. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

You should try it...warning: it has a black hole effect.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

486 ! Richie Rich alert ! lol ;)

Home built "bitza" 286/EGA with XTGold I had when Indy came out.
    Sound Blaster almost killed it. lopl

19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I think it was around '93-'94 that we got it. Had SoundBlaster 16 =D
    Indy and Lemmings came as bundled software. Not long after that I had to figure out how to make a boot disk for Crammond's GP1.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You drive it ;)