Why are people still playing conversion from rfactor 1?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eltidi, Oct 19, 2014.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Langford and Botniaring both are conversion.
    Zolder, Laguna and Spa are all WIP.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Essington1.4 is scratch made I think?
    Even 1.3 is quite nice as a conversion imo.

3. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Watkins Glen is in the way too right?

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh yeah, it is... :cool:

5. stonec

stonec Registered

You can also find many good converted tracks in this list. RaceRfactor tracks aren't anything newbuilt, but basic things such as realroad etc have been tweaked, I find most of these quite nice.

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

No.

7. buzard

buzard Registered

If I remember a long time ago when a new sim called rFactor came out a lot of it's first content was conversions from the F1 series, GTR2, GTL and even GPL. A conversion is a good way to learn about the new engine before you make something from scratch. A good car/track is good no matter if it is a conversion or scratch. A bad car/track is bad no matter if it is a conversion or from scratch.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This.

People complaining about conversions, whether it's a bad or a top notch conversion, really need to adjust their expectations a bit I think.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

A good layout is good regardless. It is not the same for conversions. Not just from looking visually very poor and far worse than the original version (converted to rF1 or scratch made for it) but with awful bumpy road surface, buggy pits, missing AIW, or holes in the track/walls. It is often the case that tracks in GTR2, rF1, and GSC look better in the very old engine than in rF2 (with the super flat monotone textures) and that shouldn't be the case either.

10. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

A big agree to this.
    Also some non ISI cars are superb.
    The Ferrari 458 Challenge, the Spec Miata, BES 1.0 to name a few.
    These are in my "don't go a month without driving " list. Along with several favourite ISI cars.
    Tracks, some conversions are epic. I just raced at Suzuka, Modern Spa.
    One of the most fun multiplayer races I ever did was on an RF1 conversion.
    Will I miss all of that to be able to just drive original content?
    No

So sorry OP, totally but respectfully disagree.
    oh and the URD cars that you like I don't like at all. I guess we are all different.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

URD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>illegal and ribbed BES mod.

12. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

a few days back i took milk, powder, eggs, some sugar, plus other sweeties, and made an "illegal" (since i dont own the milk, or the sugar or the rights for the owen) cake for my sons. but hey, it tasted sooo good :)

13. peterchen

peterchen Registered

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That makes no sense.

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hm....when I`m racing I`m really busy and doesn`t care about the buildings, threes and whatever beside the track ;-) But i agree, a very well converted track or mod is better than a bad one :)

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The very point is that you do own the milk, powder, eggs, sugar, sweeties plus the rights to use the oven...
    Because you paid for it all... Only if you stole all of that stuff in a super market the cake would be an "illegal" cake...

So no... That doesn't make any sense at all.

Comparing illegal mods to illegal cake (say what..?:D) aside...

The most important aspect of a track is for me the racing surface.
    Is it nice and thoroughly worked on?
    Or does it have huge digital "holes" and "gaps" that just kills my poor pathetic old G27?

So the surface is more important to me than anything else, graphics etc.
    Oh, and if it doesn't have Real Road I usually don't go near it either.
    If the AI is completely messed up I usually won't use it either.

17. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

my bad, yes i do own them, but since i took em and mixed them to another product, how can i say "i ve made a cake", since i just took third party products and turned them to something else :) anyway, yes, these ingrediences doesnt have a copyright protecting from extracting/altering their form :) so my bad, you re right.

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Lol all is cool and well, Petra. :)
    I'm not having a go at you, I just found the whole cake-thing pretty funny. :)

I for one don't care one bit where the parts of mod cars or tracks come from.
    If it feels good I'll race it.
    If it doesn't; Yep, you guessed it. I won't.

19. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Question here is only one....
    Petra, can i convert your poor cake made with stolen stuff in some type of bagel?

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I don't know how often I may have mentioned GTP and NR 2003 but despite how dated it is, it's what I've been finding myself running most often when I fire up a racing game. Tracks are from well before the accurate creation period, GPL conversions are gold, there are bumps and alias everywhere, but I put up with the standards of the time due to the quality of the driving experience.

In 2005 most of that stuff was very acceptable, some conversions by no means were acceptable to look at, but because I lack those 4 group C cars (would have been 5 had it not been F1rst/iRacing killing everything) and some of those tracks except for a very poor F1 Challenge option (due to base game, mod was great for 2003's standards) there's nothing else on PCs. There's pieced content here and there perhaps, but only Gran Turismo 5 and 6 have the group C beasts all together AND with good tracks. I'd love to leave GTP and all the updates gone into it behind with a new era of cars but there isn't anything to take its place. Someone was creating the cars for rF2 2-3 years ago but disappeared. There's one car coming out for Assetto Corsa, and pCARS will have another but only be available 5 months from now.

For those who somehow don't know, just go on YouTube (or vimeo) and search for Redline GTP or something along those lines.