Who would like to do more "junk"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marvin Morgan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

As great as this sim is, as well as some others, I've yet to play a sim where you have to do all the "junk" they do in real life. For instance I don't think we have any options to mess with fuel mixture while in the car like I see they do in some races in real life. All those buttons in real race cars have to do something yet we don't have to mess with those. I'd really like an "ultra-sim" where the driver had to mess with all that stuff. I think the guys I race with online would like it too.

Or at least have the option for it. Anyone want to do more "junk"?

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

From what I understand, fuel mixtures are coming, then wing adjustments for F2 car are probably coming too, you can adjust brake balance and antirollbars already afaik, you just need to set buttons for those, check controls list ingame, it has ton of stuff, which probably often are not spotted.

TC ABS and such are currently only helps, no true implementation of those is there, but those can be set also in car too, but of course via function keys.

I'm not quite sure what those buttons in real cars do these days, there were not many with older cars, but of course could be nice to have all working and starting state of car as off, so you need to turn mains, ignition, pump etc. on before start and all kind of that, creating further immersion into session.

3. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Great news. Thanks for the info. From what you're saying there's a good amount of junk in the game already. Gotta check it out and start assigning some buttons. The things is though do you think it really matters during a race? I guess it does but it's up to me/us to find out.

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

What about getting the way the sessions work like real racing, as an option of course. For the race, have pitlane open for 5 mins, for a sighting lap and then form up on the grid, or pull in real quick if you really need to change something and then form up on the grid. Then once the grid is ready or time is up, the warmup lap starts. Form up again, lights out and set off.

I know the MotoGP riders mess around with all sorts of engine maps and deliveries through the race.

One thing I realised last night, there is no pitcrew manager to talk to. Thats one thing I liked in GTR2, could ask him to try and spot damage on the monitors, announce any damage he sees, I could ask for car position, he would announce flags being waved and in what sectors, engine or brake temps getting too high.
    And also, when on the far side of a big track, he came through more crackly over the radio.

Plus chattering when you cross the line.

It's stuff like that I love, anything to make it more like an actual race.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  5. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I was in a server sometime ago where the race started in the pits, well it didnt really start in pits but you had to drive from there to line up on the grid. Not seen a server like it since.

6. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

I agree to all above, and would also like to have a mechanic who do the setup for me.
    Also all buttons in the car cockpit should work as irl.
    Damage, wear and fuel should never be repaired, changed and filled automatically as soon as you press escape.
    I dont want to see any GUI overlays of any kind. Preferably no menus either when in pit.

I want everything you do to be "recorded". For example every time you wreck your car so much its not possible to repair it, there should be 1 more car-wreck added to my personal statistics, as all tyres, wings, and whatever stuff you wear, break or loose while driving.

And sessions.....please remove them. Isn't it possible to have all servers in its ground-state to be more like IRL trackdays open for all with no changing sessions ever. And then when people start to gather up there should be a voting system for what irl time a "funrace" can take place. For a more "real" race witch adds points to your career for example the procedure Minibull talks about (of course depending on what kind of series is running on that track) the races are scheduled for example 12 times a day or 7 days a week or something (but the server never reboots and resets because of timed sessions that run out).

If you join such a server with a official "real" race and the grid are full (or you aren't allowed to race since you lack experience) you can only join as a person in fps view and walk up to a stand and be public and chat/talk in headset with the other viewers, or if you have a pitpass, then you could walk to the pit-area and talk with the racers (and/or mechanics?).

Its hard to explain in text what i'm talking about but i would like to see the community hangin around on the track/servers and walk around in first-person in the pits and talk with other sim-racers via their headsets for setup tips and so on. And when its a race (not funrace) the positions and points are distributed for all participants and recorded so you have like an online dynamic career with all statistics saved (also with the wrecks piled up) . I could keep going on about this forever...

Talk about immersion. :-D
    Yes i'm maybe a dreamer but is this impossible to do?

7. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

You guys posted some good stuff here. This is probably where the genre needs to be headed. The formula we have now with the current crop of new games coming seem to be the same as the last just with a few new wrinkles. Was really hoping for some next level stuff like you guys are talking about.

8. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I'd like to see a more geometric approach to suspensions, with spring preload affecting corner weights and ride height. Camber affecting caster etc etc.

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I would imagine that once we get to the point that we can have real time calculations of physics, all the other stuff will follow. As it is right now, there just isn't enough horsepower in current desktop computers to handle all of that smoothly, especially all the extra people on the server and walking around to meet them while a race is going on. Right now ISI would basically have to build 2 sims to handle that. One that would be for racing and the other for socializing.

BTW Lordpantsington, caster does affect camber already.

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah it would be awesome to fiddle with carburetor on the way up hill climbs like they used to!

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Pike's Peak would be very useful to be able to adjust fuel/air mixture on the way up. Modern cars normally do this with software for fuel management though.

12. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I'd like to be able to set TC and ABS to be changed by the mod I'm running so if the real cars have it then I have it and if they don't then I don't instead of being forced to change it on my own.

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You can also set your ARB from incar for the cars that allow it.

14. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I'm gonna need more button options. I got a goodie coming soon which should give me quite a few buttons to use.