What's with all the open wheel mods?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by SmokinJo65, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It is true that SCGT used the engine (or at least ancestor of the engine), but for me it is quite distant relative, it is quite long since I did use it last time, but it did have some similarities, but even those were someway different, but I can remember wrong, it is so long ago. EA F1 games however are quite close and I think that modding really picked off in those. There was some modding for SCGT, but it was quite small.

All that huge development from SCGT times was done for open wheel cars.

Of course, what works for open wheel, should work just fine for other cars if done properly.

Anyway at least now tintops are also very strongly with rF2 and I think there will be again lot of those when mods are put together. There was a lot in rF1, so perhaps will be for rF2 also, but let's see after 6 months.

I have troubles with aerodynamics, I find car with lot of downforce, quite unnatural to drive, open wheeler without downforce is not so bad actually now that I think about it :D

2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I wouldn't say it was quite small. SCGT modding was still going until just a few years ago and there were tons of cars and tracks made for it. As a matter of fact, many mod teams you might have heard of got their start in SCGT including Virtua_LM, RaceSim Design Group (RSDG), the Simbin Development Team (SBDT), and Emac/Ralph's F1 team. There is still some content originally made for SCGT that is being used in other games today.

Making mods for SCGT was kind of a pain in the rear because you had to hack the EXE to allow it to use other cars. It was also easier since the level of detail in the cars was much lower. As an example, Virtua_LM has track-side vehicles in their courses today that have more polygons than some of the cars that were raced with in SCGT.

I wouldn't say that either. Between 1998 and 2003 They made SCGT, five F1 games, and two NASCAR games so they did not develop only for open wheel cars. I suspect their F1 games had much higher budgets than the others but I don't know that for a fact.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

There is like 300 different F1 mods for rF so I don't see anything changing for rF2. lol.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I thought that SCGT modding did stop at time they launched F1C at latest, but that some have continued to work with up until recently :eek:

5 F1 titles and 2 nascar ones does have certain ratio tough, also when you look suspension options that leads to open wheel impression pretty much. In rF1, also among other things, dust etc came into cockpit something you would see in open wheelers.
    So there are quite lot of pointers to point towards open wheel platform that is adapted to tintops.

If you look SCGT and what came after that, it was F1 sim and it was that huge leap which I meant, quite bit more complicated cars than what SCGT had, I think that they had then bigger budget to develop things and that probably lead more advancements to engine too. Sure not solely for open wheelers, but for me at least it looks like that more open wheelers than for tintops.

With rf2 it looks like to be now possible to keep dust out of cockpit, I also understood that more suspension options will come in future, so I think that rf2 is one that adds to tintop scene more options too and with time open wheelers and tintops will get balanced as tintops are probably not giving so much of imperssion of 'hack' as it was in rF1.

But reason for there being so much open wheelers made is, imo, that they are relatively easier to make and that with rF1 open wheelers did not have issues that were with tintops, like with dust etc.
    It does not help if we know better, but for someone new to rF1 those kind of things can be certain proof of whatever they manage to get their mind :D

5. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

No, no fashion, serial car, which would compare with reality. Physics does not allow to create a truly high-quality modes. The whole problem rF1 rF2 and in poor physical model. When the car turns over, it looks terrible when the car gets into a severe accident, look ridiculous, so do not isteresno ride, and do not mind breaking the car. The kinetic energy of the machine is missing.
    I thought the beta testing is to identify bugs game, but the game has not changed much either for the time being.
    I wonder if the IRS mod-kart will be terrible, with the reality nor any comparisons will not be rfaktor two for me to be in the black list of simulators.
    To achieve real behavior of the machine is very difficult and almost impossible. Just spent a lot of time and money you can get quality results. But now the quality does not smell. rator2 - this is a big trash!
    It is necessary to build the correct physics. And they do not focus on high-quality graphics, and general support for mods.

6. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

there is no link with the subject of this thread.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think that Dmitry's exceptations were not met by features that are still WIP. Alpha is more matching to status, but that perhaps is not reason for many open wheel mods.

8. DeM

DeM Registered

V8 Super Cars for RFactor 2

Hey great post. I love my F1 go down to Melbourne every year and went once to Adelaide, but i dont like to Sim race them. I want to see more Tin Tops also . I did a search on google and found this Beta V8 Super Cars Mod for rfactor 2. I've just signed up to the site at Adrenalin Factor and are waiting to be accepted. When i've downloaded it and tested i will let you all know. I'm not a big follower of V8 Super Cars but I see the odd race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAZV6SAOUuo